Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Storm Shelter Out of 20' Storage Container

Advertise Here

I'm sure it has been posted here a few thousand times, but are there any good plans on how to make a storm shelter/underground storage from a 20' container?

I'm in central texas and the threat of tornados has bothered me for quite a while and I'm gonna do something about it.

Any intel would be great.

One more thing, this forum is great.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:32 AM

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...ping+container
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dutchprep For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 7,210 Times in 3,014 Posts

As already posted, lots of threads on containers.

If you read them you will find out that they are not suited for being buried underground - they are not sturdy enough for it and not designed to take the load.

Alternative would be to have on tethered to the ground; containers have various places on them that you can use tie downs, so it you place sturdy anchors in concrete and use a heavy steel cable and cinch it down, it would be better than leaving it just sitting there in high winds.

Or you could put it in a revetment; find a slope/hill and dig a trench into it such that the container would mostly be protected from the wind by placing it into the trench. One end would be open and exposed though.

A better idea would be to just get a concrete culvert and bury that with some kind of cover. You only need to take shelter for a short period of time from a tornado. There are all kinds of plans for such shelters on the internet. You can leave one end a little open and plug it up with sandbags.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 24,505 Times in 8,301 Posts

Welcome to the boards, TONS of info here on shipping containers, I found the site by researching my own cabin. Use the search function at the top of the page and type in shipping container. You might also want to join the group - survival architecture.
From my own research it is more labor/cost effective to build a cement underground structure than to bury a shipping container. The cement culvert idea seems to be gaining popularity.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:22 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 7,210 Times in 3,014 Posts

I forgot to mention, the problem with keep the container above ground, even if it is strongly tethered, is airborne missiles could very likely impact it. In a revetment this possibility would be lessened.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBear View Post
I'm sure it has been posted here a few thousand times, but are there any good plans on how to make a storm shelter/underground storage from a 20' container?

I'm in central texas and the threat of tornados has bothered me for quite a while and I'm gonna do something about it.

Any intel would be great.

One more thing, this forum is great.
It sounds like someone watched Take Shelter recently.
Old 09-21-2014, 04:41 PM

I'm in West Texas and this is our answer to survivability, we berm'd a 20'
Sea Container, buried half in the ground and put a berm around the rest of it.
We did all the work ourselves, wife & I. Pic's of the build are here... http://s192.photobucket.com/user/dra...torm%20Shelter
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Enophite For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 07:36 PM
Storyteller

Thanked 1,777 Times in 329 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enophite View Post
I'm in West Texas and this is our answer to survivability, we berm'd a 20'
Sea Container, buried half in the ground and put a berm around the rest of it.
We did all the work ourselves, wife & I. Pic's of the build are here... http://s192.photobucket.com/user/dra...torm%20Shelter

Thanks for posting the link to the pics, sometimes an image is worth more than a 1000 words.
Old 09-21-2014, 10:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,293 Times in 1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Heretic View Post
As already posted, lots of threads on containers.

If you read them you will find out that they are not suited for being buried underground - they are not sturdy enough for it and not designed to take the load.

Alternative would be to have on tethered to the ground; containers have various places on them that you can use tie downs, so it you place sturdy anchors in concrete and use a heavy steel cable and cinch it down, it would be better than leaving it just sitting there in high winds.

Or you could put it in a revetment; find a slope/hill and dig a trench into it such that the container would mostly be protected from the wind by placing it into the trench. One end would be open and exposed though.
A better idea would be to just get a concrete culvert and bury that with some kind of cover. You only need to take shelter for a short period of time from a tornado. There are all kinds of plans for such shelters on the internet. You can leave one end a little open and plug it up with sandbags.
I owned two. If you do get shipping containers get one of the insulated ones used for frozen foods transport. Stainless steel on the inside. Keeps the heat out MUCH better. Don't bury a shipping container. The sides and top are not load bearing, only the corner post. The sides can be blown out/ roof caved in. If you are trying to get a simple shelter, either get a septic tank and build stairs or a culvert. Culverts are made to with stand the loads. They are also properly coated for wet. Shipping containers are not.