Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:01 PM
realc4ever realc4ever is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 152
Thanks: 0
Thanked 105 Times in 68 Posts
Default canned food and dates



Advertise Here

so i was going to start buying canned food to prepare for things and i noticed that expiry date was two years later.

What are your professional thoughts / knowledge about the expiry dates on canned goods ? ok to eat 10 or 20 years later ? What about what some say that the metal or aluminum leeches into the food ?

thanks alot for your help.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:04 PM
Daelith Daelith is offline
Hiker
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 583
Thanks: 130
Thanked 967 Times in 347 Posts
Default

It's been shown that unless the can is compromised, the contents will be fine for decades. The only changes are nutrient content, color, and possibly taste.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daelith For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:05 PM
OhioMan's Avatar
OhioMan OhioMan is online now
Survivor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 24,612
Thanks: 59,140
Thanked 57,147 Times in 17,328 Posts
Default

If there are no dents, rust it should be good for years past expiration dates
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OhioMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:25 PM
Dennis1209's Avatar
Dennis1209 Dennis1209 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 122
Thanks: 35
Thanked 174 Times in 67 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
If there are no dents, rust it should be good for years past expiration dates
leaks & bulges also
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dennis1209 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:46 PM
Frugal1 Frugal1 is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 499
Thanks: 27
Thanked 558 Times in 207 Posts
Default

Daelith:
I think things such as the nutrition would be utmost in considering whether or not it's good to keep canned food beyond expiration. Without the nutrition, food is just "empty".
Old 02-23-2012, 05:06 PM
chuckbyf's Avatar
chuckbyf chuckbyf is offline
A Hoosier not a Hillbilly
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 3,017
Thanks: 594
Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,237 Posts
Default

AS long as it still has a vacuum and isn't bulged out I would go 2 or 3 yrs past the date. The dates are for taste and texture anyway. And, it might depend on what's in the can according to your tastes. Metal shouldn't leach into the food unless there is oxygen present.
The Following User Says Thank You to chuckbyf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 48,760
Thanks: 87,212
Thanked 97,518 Times in 31,941 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Same thing asked 3 days ago. Good info in that thread too:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho....php?p=3801973

The date on the can is a "best by" date rather than an expiration date. Hormel, Del Monte and a few other canneries, along with the FDA or USDA (forgot which) are on record as saying that canned foods are safe to eat indefinately as long as the can remains safely sealed. The key here is the can remaining safely sealed.

Since the contents are sterile, they can't actually rot or spoil unless bacteria can get inside the can somehow. But as long as the can is sealed, it can't get in.

However, over time, the taste and texture will go downhill. The nutrition does to a certain degree also. But there have been tests posted of 40+ year old canned goods that were still not only safe to eat, but still had a surprising amount of their nutrition left.

Acidic foods are the ones to watch for. The acids can react with the metal and cause pinhole leaks that aren't always noticeable from the outside. We've had a lot of posts about saurkraut and tomato products rotting in the cans. So those foods should be on a short rotation schedule just to be safe.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 05:17 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 48,760
Thanks: 87,212
Thanked 97,518 Times in 31,941 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal1 View Post
Daelith:
I think things such as the nutrition would be utmost in considering whether or not it's good to keep canned food beyond expiration. Without the nutrition, food is just "empty".
The nutrition doesn't just "go away." It slowly degrades. Testing on canned foods that were over 40 years old still showed significant levels of most vitamins and nutrients. I was surprised by those results, actually. Pleasantly surprised.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
dhawk's Avatar
dhawk dhawk is offline
Look Behind You!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,584
Thanks: 1,937
Thanked 2,255 Times in 977 Posts
Default

Just had a can of split pea for lunch the other day that was dated 2009. Taste was fine. It did have a little "tin" flavor but, otherwise it was good. I'm trying to use all my expired date can foods.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:54 PM
Staxx Staxx is offline
Old guy who plans ahead
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,920
Thanks: 1,115
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,326 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by realc4ever View Post
so i was going to start buying canned food to prepare for things and i noticed that expiry date was two years later.
Look at that can again.

Is it actually an "Expiry Date", or just a "BEST BY" date?

There is a difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Staxx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2012, 09:23 AM
remembergoliad remembergoliad is offline
G 8.7 MGM 10+
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas Gulf Coast, betw Corpus/Victoria
Posts: 403
Thanks: 787
Thanked 3,169 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Those dates are primarily for sheep, I think

We've got stuff in commercial cans with "use by" dates of 4-5 years ago, and so far so good

Always listen when you hit the top with the can opener, if it inhales audibly and sharply, proceed to sniffing it, if that doesn't scream at us, we'll eat it.

Another test we have is we'll pass it by the old tomcat. If he perks up and gets interested, and wants some, it's probably not "off" smelling.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to remembergoliad For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Gallo Pazzesco's Avatar
Gallo Pazzesco Gallo Pazzesco is offline
Geronimo!
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Palmetto State
Posts: 4,041
Thanks: 5,520
Thanked 7,113 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Same thing asked 3 days ago. Good info in that thread too:
http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho....php?p=3801973

The date on the can is a "best by" date rather than an expiration date. Hormel, Del Monte and a few other canneries, along with the FDA or USDA (forgot which) are on record as saying that canned foods are safe to eat indefinately as long as the can remains safely sealed. The key here is the can remaining safely sealed.

Since the contents are sterile, they can't actually rot or spoil unless bacteria can get inside the can somehow. But as long as the can is sealed, it can't get in.

However, over time, the taste and texture will go downhill. The nutrition does to a certain degree also. But there have been tests posted of 40+ year old canned goods that were still not only safe to eat, but still had a surprising amount of their nutrition left.

Acidic foods are the ones to watch for. The acids can react with the metal and cause pinhole leaks that aren't always noticeable from the outside. We've had a lot of posts about saurkraut and tomato products rotting in the cans. So those foods should be on a short rotation schedule just to be safe.
That's why you can tomatoes in jars ... also, a lot of tomato cans these days are enameled or painted to prevent that issue from happening. Matter of fact, all the diced tomatoes we buy in a can anymore, in the quart cans anyway, are painted inside.

Sour kraut is the same - and it can be jarred/canned as well. Pickles, kraut, tomatoes, pickled okra and beets ... all of those do well in jars indefinitely.

If we would keep our canned goods in cool, dry places and out of direct sunlight, the food inside can last indefinitely. Even canned meats although, five years from now all canned meats will come in retort packages, as tin cans will soon be a thing of the past for meats.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:45 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 48,760
Thanks: 87,212
Thanked 97,518 Times in 31,941 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallo Pazzesco View Post
That's why you can tomatoes in jars ... also, a lot of tomato cans these days are enameled or painted to prevent that issue from happening. Matter of fact, all the diced tomatoes we buy in a can anymore, in the quart cans anyway, are painted inside.

Sour kraut is the same - and it can be jarred/canned as well. Pickles, kraut, tomatoes, pickled okra and beets ... all of those do well in jars indefinitely.

If we would keep our canned goods in cool, dry places and out of direct sunlight, the food inside can last indefinitely. Even canned meats although, five years from now all canned meats will come in retort packages, as tin cans will soon be a thing of the past for meats.
Cans have been coated for years now. But there are still a lot of folks reporting swollen or burst cans of acidic foods, as well as horrible taste after just a few years. I'm not sure what to attribute it to. But it's definately related to acidic foods.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 05:53 PM
dm1911's Avatar
dm1911 dm1911 is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: silicone valley, ca
Posts: 320
Thanks: 433
Thanked 164 Times in 107 Posts
Default

does home canned food have a shelf life that is as good /better / or worse than commercially processed caned foods?

and is "canning" better that preserving food in clear Jars ???
Old 06-17-2014, 06:34 PM
MTShawn's Avatar
MTShawn MTShawn is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 43
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 18,096
Thanked 10,492 Times in 2,785 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm1911 View Post
does home canned food have a shelf life that is as good /better / or worse than commercially processed caned foods?

and is "canning" better that preserving food in clear Jars ???
Properly home canned foods last just as long as commercial products; this is backed by science. And even longer when acidic foods are concerned.
Home canned in jars needs shelter from light though, as light degrades the contents.

*I trust home canned foods more than commercial too. At home, I am quality control. No lazy workers taking shortcuts or computerized equipment malfunctions. There will be NO mass E-coli, Salmonella and other tainted foods from my kitchen. I source the ingredients and control the whole process, start to finish.

Last edited by MTShawn; 06-17-2014 at 08:51 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 06:45 PM
PrairieDweller PrairieDweller is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Montana
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I have seen juice and apple sauce turn nasty colors when stored in plastic as little as 6 months past the sell by date, but I have never had a problem with glass or metal. Also I store everything in the dark.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Monique Monique is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in the South
Posts: 1,316
Thanks: 1,251
Thanked 1,659 Times in 756 Posts
Default

Home canning IS preserving food in glass jars. Nobody has the equipment at home to make actual cans of food.
Old 06-17-2014, 06:57 PM
ksmama10's Avatar
ksmama10 ksmama10 is offline
VIP Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: South Central Kansas
Posts: 914
Thanks: 1,846
Thanked 1,582 Times in 720 Posts
Default

How do I convince the kids that expiration dates are really 'best by' dates? Some of them are recent escapees from high school foods classes where the teacher fed them some oddball safety info. For awhile afterwards, they refused to eat meat if I'd had it in the fridge for a week. And forget leftovers..they are still iffy on those. They wouldn't even eat food I'd cooked and frozen in the deep freeze thanks to that class. It doesn't help that when they're grandma was still living on her own(assisted living now), she repeatedly gave us food from her pantry that was way past date..not all of that was canned food, though. This was before I started reading about food storage...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksmama10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 07:22 PM
Monique Monique is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: in the South
Posts: 1,316
Thanks: 1,251
Thanked 1,659 Times in 756 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmama10 View Post
How do I convince the kids that expiration dates are really 'best by' dates? Some of them are recent escapees from high school foods classes where the teacher fed them some oddball safety info. For awhile afterwards, they refused to eat meat if I'd had it in the fridge for a week. And forget leftovers..they are still iffy on those. They wouldn't even eat food I'd cooked and frozen in the deep freeze thanks to that class. It doesn't help that when they're grandma was still living on her own(assisted living now), she repeatedly gave us food from her pantry that was way past date..not all of that was canned food, though. This was before I started reading about food storage...

Ha ha!! Good luck! I recently visited a young relative (and by "young" I mean "over 40") who threw away an unopened box of sugar because of the date on the box. Yes, plain ordinary white sugar. I did my best to explain, but by then the sugar was in the trash can. Sigh.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Monique For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM
MTShawn's Avatar
MTShawn MTShawn is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Age: 43
Posts: 3,237
Thanks: 18,096
Thanked 10,492 Times in 2,785 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmama10 View Post
How do I convince the kids that expiration dates are really 'best by' dates? ...
Show them this. This states that properly canned foods do not spoil.

From the USDA:

Quote:
Canning is a way to store food for long periods of time. It is a method of
preserving where food is placed in airtight, vacuum-sealed containers and heat
processed at 250 F (121 C). This destroys microorganisms and inactivates
enzymes. As the food cools, a vacuum seal is formed that prevents any new
bacteria from getting in. Since the food in the container is commercially sterile,
it does not spoil.
Once the container is opened, however, bacteria can
enter and begin growing in the food. Any unused portions must then be
refrigerated in clean containers.
http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/con...df?MOD=AJPERES
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MTShawn For This Useful Post:
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canned ground Beef= Canned dog food bigred513 Food and water 12 12-20-2011 02:48 PM
Food Expiration Dates arjin101 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 07-29-2011 09:13 PM
Food expiration dates: What do they really mean? Highlander Urban Survival 12 09-02-2010 05:07 PM
Do the expiration dates on canned goods have much margin? Boomboy007 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 03-02-2009 06:27 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net