Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default Suggestions / comments on this bug out plan



Advertise Here

Wife has come up with an idea - comments / flaws / suggestions please.
Going to keep this as short as I can.

We will be moving to the big bad city soon (DFW). No choice or debate or this move.
We will be renting an apartment / townhouse while we are there.
Info from survival posts on another board have convinced us that we will need to bug out to a rural location in the event of nearly every possible SHTF scenario.
A full tank of gas will get us from our apartment to her Moms place in the sticks near Huntsville.

Original plan was to store some preps at her moms place.
Problem is that her place is small and cannot store everything.

Wifes new plan is to buy a small used travel trailer (about 30ft) and park it on her property behind her garage.
It would be used to store preps and to house us should we need to bug out.
It will also give us a place to stay in when we come to visit her.

Is there a better way?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:37 PM
JayOlliver's Avatar
JayOlliver JayOlliver is offline
UK Prep @ Sharp Survival
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Worthing, West Sussex
Posts: 707
Thanks: 117
Thanked 485 Times in 273 Posts
Default

idea's sound solid ... however take into account that thinks may change very quickly on the Bug Out ... roads maybe blocked due to traffic (cos everyone wants to get out asap) ... so driving out might not be a option ...

Couple of things to consider ...

how far is it to 'Moms' ? ...
how long would it take you to walk there ? ...
what supplies you need to get you to moms (poss on foot) ? ...
can you travel long distance with BOB (consider physical fitness) ? ...

Really like the trailer idea ... home and stores on wheels ... to the point where i might consider doing something similar ... my parents own a caravan, movable shelter with battery power source and inverter ... i will say it again ... the trailer is a clever idea ...

only concern is would a 30ft trailer too big to tow efficiently ? ... could you manage with a small trailer making it easier to tow ... ?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:40 PM
TxTowman TxTowman is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 321
Thanks: 573
Thanked 273 Times in 144 Posts
Default

30 foot FEMA trailers are in abundance right now for $5000.

Just don't plan on taking I-45 south, better to take the farm roads.

If you can get a place on the southeast off of 175 it has many south exit roads.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:44 PM
Charles Martel Charles Martel is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 3,297
Thanked 2,857 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Sounds good. The two things that I'd be concerned about are:

1) Realistically (and be brutally honest with yourself), how likely is it that you would be able to reach your mother-in-law's place in a true SHTF scenario? I'd live as close to the outskirts of town as I possibly could so that you won't have to navigate busy freeways and/or major inner-city areas if/when you have to bug out. That may mean a longer daily commute, but that's the price I pay every day for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that I could get out of dodge with minimal effort if I needed to.

2) Will your trailer be climate controlled? I'm not from Texas, but I hear that it tends to get a little warm in that neck of the woods. :0) Heat does terrible things to many of the foods that you would normally consider storing. You'd hate to finally arrive at your bugout location after a harrowing journey only to find that a good portion of your food stores are inedible.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already thought about things.

Charles
Old 02-22-2012, 04:53 PM
Charles Martel Charles Martel is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 1,291
Thanks: 3,297
Thanked 2,857 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOlliver View Post
Really like the trailer idea ... home and stores on wheels ... to the point where i might consider doing something similar.
For sure. It's a great Idea. I might buy a few used trailers and place them on willing relative's properties in every direction from here. I might even go with 20 foot shipping containers.

This is why I joined this forum.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Majorpayne's Avatar
Majorpayne Majorpayne is offline
Old Dog,New Collar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northwest
Posts: 257
Thanks: 174
Thanked 301 Times in 141 Posts
Default

It's a good idea,but the 1st problem I see on a long distance BOL is TIMING!!! When to pull the trigger so to speak. A lot of conversations on who,where and what but none of that does any good if you start to late.The WHEN almost the most important.So my advice is to sit down and discuss when this happens we go now. Good luck,Really!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:28 PM
dontbuypotteryfromme's Avatar
dontbuypotteryfromme dontbuypotteryfromme is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Far north queensland Australia
Posts: 11,982
Thanks: 2,812
Thanked 8,931 Times in 4,843 Posts
Default

if you plan on driving anywhere rural buy a chainsaw.

But yeah good plan.

By the way have a set up your end for mum. Just in case us internets people are wrong
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 05:41 PM
Eagle Six's Avatar
Eagle Six Eagle Six is offline
Warrior Trying tobe Civil
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Navajo County, Arizona Territory, in the US of A
Posts: 1,862
Thanks: 1,644
Thanked 2,379 Times in 1,151 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig226 View Post
Did you mean this as you typed it "Wifes new plan is to buy a small used travel trailer (about 30ft) and park it on her property behind her garage."

or, as in "Wifes new plan is to buy a small used travel trailer (about 30ft) and park it on her mothers property behind her garage."
Just asking for clarity....

Best Regards......Eagle Six
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM
WTucker999's Avatar
WTucker999 WTucker999 is offline
Target Shooter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: In the Sticks, South of PDX
Posts: 477
Thanks: 203
Thanked 404 Times in 248 Posts
Default

Any way to put up a little storage building there instead of a travel trailer?

The problem I see is that the travel trailer will probably get stuffed with preps and make it impossible to stay in during your visits. I lived in a pretty new 30' for about 6 months and loved it - but I had a place for everything and it was pretty full without preps.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayOlliver View Post
idea's sound solid ... however take into account that thinks may change very quickly on the Bug Out ... roads maybe blocked due to traffic (cos everyone wants to get out asap) ... so driving out might not be a option ...

Couple of things to consider ...

how far is it to 'Moms' ? ...
how long would it take you to walk there ? ...
what supplies you need to get you to moms (poss on foot) ? ...
can you travel long distance with BOB (consider physical fitness) ? ...

Really like the trailer idea ... home and stores on wheels ... to the point where i might consider doing something similar ... my parents own a caravan, movable shelter with battery power source and inverter ... i will say it again ... the trailer is a clever idea ...

only concern is would a 30ft trailer too big to tow efficiently ? ... could you manage with a small trailer making it easier to tow ... ?

1) 200 miles - 3.5 hours drive
2) BOB's will be in truck with us in case we have to finish journey by foot
3) Cardio will need to be worked on

As soon as I saw 'caravan' I looked to see where you were located!
Believe it or not, a travel trailer (caravan) is the smaller type of 'RV' available over here.
A '5th wheel' would be even bigger.
The truck I have is plenty capable of pulling it (5.3 liter V8).
I wouldn't fancy having to run this truck on your petrol prices though.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:12 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxTowman View Post
30 foot FEMA trailers are in abundance right now for $5000.

Just don't plan on taking I-45 south, better to take the farm roads.

If you can get a place on the southeast off of 175 it has many south exit roads.

Thanks - I will look into alternate routes.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:15 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Martel View Post
Sounds good. The two things that I'd be concerned about are:

1) Realistically (and be brutally honest with yourself), how likely is it that you would be able to reach your mother-in-law's place in a true SHTF scenario? I'd live as close to the outskirts of town as I possibly could so that you won't have to navigate busy freeways and/or major inner-city areas if/when you have to bug out. That may mean a longer daily commute, but that's the price I pay every day for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that I could get out of dodge with minimal effort if I needed to.

2) Will your trailer be climate controlled? I'm not from Texas, but I hear that it tends to get a little warm in that neck of the woods. :0) Heat does terrible things to many of the foods that you would normally consider storing. You'd hate to finally arrive at your bugout location after a harrowing journey only to find that a good portion of your food stores are inedible.

Anyway, I'm sure you've already thought about things.

Charles

Who can say?
The only alternative would be to store the trailer near our residence?
This has it's pros and cons.

You are correct - only specific items could be stored in the trailer due to the heat here.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorpayne View Post
It's a good idea,but the 1st problem I see on a long distance BOL is TIMING!!! When to pull the trigger so to speak. A lot of conversations on who,where and what but none of that does any good if you start to late.The WHEN almost the most important.So my advice is to sit down and discuss when this happens we go now. Good luck,Really!!!

You nailed it!
Success of this plan depends almost entirely on getting out ahead of the sheep.
Better to leave 'too early', discover it's a false alarm and spend a few days at BOL than to leave it too late, right?
It's not like we won't be making the trip every two months anyway for regular visits.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
if you plan on driving anywhere rural buy a chainsaw.

But yeah good plan.

By the way have a set up your end for mum. Just in case us internets people are wrong
OMG!!!!
Can't believe I didn't think of this.
Will be getting a chain saw very soon - thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Six View Post
Just asking for clarity....

Best Regards......Eagle Six
Sorry for the confusion.
Trailer is to be parked at mother in laws property (the BOL).
Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM
MikeV1234's Avatar
MikeV1234 MikeV1234 is offline
Web Designer
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lake County, IL (Northern Suburbs of Chicago)
Posts: 672
Thanks: 1,651
Thanked 560 Times in 281 Posts
Default

I think you should assume the roads MIGHT be grid locked. How bad are they at the worst rush hour???

Food stored should be between 55-70 degrees but whatever you can do.

Plan on waiting at your mother in law's house for 2 weeks + IMO.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
Illini Warrior's Avatar
Illini Warrior Illini Warrior is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 6,760
Thanks: 24
Thanked 8,482 Times in 3,597 Posts
Default

think about a large cache buried under the parked trailer .... more secure and better temp control ....
Old 02-23-2012, 01:09 PM
jgos929 jgos929 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 165
Thanks: 90
Thanked 97 Times in 60 Posts
Default

I to live in DFW but I have a house so I'm bugging in. But another thing to think about also. Huntsville, TX is home to the infamous Huntsville prison known to house a majority the most violent and dangerous criminals in the state. Are you sure thats the direction you want to head when TSHTF? When all hell brakes loose I dont imagine they'll stay confined there for very long. Just a thought
Old 02-23-2012, 04:47 PM
Sig226's Avatar
Sig226 Sig226 is offline
Wish I'd taken blue pill
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DFW
Posts: 228
Thanks: 566
Thanked 263 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgos929 View Post
I to live in DFW but I have a house so I'm bugging in. But another thing to think about also. Huntsville, TX is home to the infamous Huntsville prison known to house a majority the most violent and dangerous criminals in the state. Are you sure thats the direction you want to head when TSHTF? When all hell brakes loose I dont imagine they'll stay confined there for very long. Just a thought

Don't have anywhere else to go.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honeyville VS AugasonFarms VS Thrive - Comments/Suggestions please! JRD505 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 60 01-12-2014 05:14 PM
Rate My BOB, suggestions, comments, reviews, etc welcome.(PIC HEAVY) The Heathen Reviews and questions 32 03-09-2012 10:35 AM
Finally decided on an AR Build - Comments or Suggestions? TDFbound Military Weapons Forum 23 01-19-2012 08:44 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net


This site is Gunny Approved