Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2012, 03:41 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanked 1,619 Times in 608 Posts
Default Do we really need chest rigs?

Advertise Here

I'm all for being prepared and getting my "house in order" before the Stuff Hits The Fan. I'm trying to spend money on only the things that will be needed after "it" all happens. I've been pondering for a long time about getting chest rigs for all my calibers of ammo/guns and to be honest about it, I just can't justify spending all that money on chest rigs. What is wrong with using carthart jacket/pockets or stuffing the mags in your back pocket or stuffing them in a backpack and going with that?
I think the chest rigs look cool and I agree they can be very helpful. What's your opinion on rigs? Do you use them? Do you think that its something that is needed. If son, then I'll go ahead a get a few (I have them already picked out if I decide).
Thanks for helping me sort through this. I'm justing being very picking with my spending.
JK.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:03 PM
Prepared

I view it as a preference thing, but I will say that chest harnesses have a bad rep of being a 'mall ninja' accessory if its on a civilian. Its pretty common to see at least one of these yahoos at the range, all full chest rigs loaded down with mags and some pimped out AR but the user doesn't know where the mag release is and cant hit the broad side of paper to save his life.

I personally have a chest rig, drop leg holster and mag pouches but its really just for the heck of it. I wouldnt be wearing it if I had to go out SHTF in suburbia as Id stand out big time but for hauling or out in the woods I use it just for convenience but again for me its just a fun accessory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,260 Times in 2,693 Posts

If you are loaded out with a lot of other gear the chest is the last open area with enough surface to carry anything. I rigged up one with quick detach clips that joins with my harness. Kind of ghetto but if I want to take it off in a hurry it is click, click.

I am like pik4chu I wouldn't generally go around like that except maybe in a 3 gun competition or the world would have to turn into a real nasty battleground to go out real life.

DO NOT mention any rigs that cost less than a couple hundred bucks or be prepared to be savaged by the "smart" operators. Trust me on that one.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Thanked 5,607 Times in 2,216 Posts

I think a good solution wiht multiple uses is an LBE set up...

Y or H harness suspenders, to a buttpack and web belt..

add a couple canteens on the hips and two 100 or 200 rnd saw pouches for magazines and you should be good to go for most anything...can also simply be used in lieu , or in addition to, a day pack for outings...

Used it back in the day, worked ok then, would prolly work ok today...

Quite honestly, i can't see myself all kiited up here in suburbia, running and gunning...

in fact, i have several pair of tacticool pants with hidden mag pockets...

if i am walking/running around the neighborhood with an MBR and need to carry extra mags/kit, it truly is a shtf moment....

besides, any civilians ever try firing/maneuvering and reloading with that stuff on...?
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:15 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,263 Times in 1,458 Posts

it looks cool to wear around the house, playing swat. but seriously, just look normal and concealed. make yourself less of a target. cause you know when shtf, everyone is going to up someone, start an argument and draw fire.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 21,675 Times in 6,219 Posts

I still use a plate carrier and molle gear because I am used to it and know how to set it up for what I want to do.

I will be staying in remote areas so load carrying is one of my requirements, and I can have essential gear accessible in a manner that I am used to. So combined with the use of camouflage and the terrain here my gear doesn't stand out.

If you are in an urban area then it may not be the best choice for you.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,730 Times in 893 Posts

What other methods do you propose to carry a full loadout of magazines, first aid crap, navigation tools, and other stuff of your choosing where you can get to it at a moment's notice? I know some of you have deep pockets, but come on...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
What other methods do you propose to carry a full loadout of magazines, first aid crap, navigation tools, and other stuff of your choosing where you can get to it at a moment's notice? I know some of you have deep pockets, but come on...
Seriously, a full load out in Asheville? Gonna hit the veggie/tofu sandwich place?

Are you expecting a running gun battle in downtown Asheville or The Biltmore?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PSYOP Soldier For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM
The Lord's Servant

Thanks for the good ideas. I'm thinking also about times like when you have to defend your homestead and times of going out on recon as well. Kinda of like what the group in "Patriots" were having to do, patrolling, recon, guard duty, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Lux in Tenebris

Really? You seriously think it will come to that in Kansas Toto?

That you'll need to set up OP'/LP's and the like and turn your home/subdivision/etc., into a fortress and repel invaders?

If that's your scenerio then drive on, get all Tommy Tactical'd up...Don't forget your ceramic plates to stop 7.62 rounds, and kevlar helmet as well....

If you're going to do it, carry 12 20-30 rnd mags and one in the weapon, like we did...don't forget the extra bandoliers i nthe ruck, a claymore and some frags....

plan on a butt pack, 2ea 1 qt canteens and a 2qt canteen or 100oz camelback in the ruck too....

i could go on, but you get my point....

some of these scenerios are, well.....
Old 02-20-2012, 04:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,492 Times in 1,893 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
I still use a plate carrier and molle gear because I am used to it and know how to set it up for what I want to do.

I will be staying in remote areas so load carrying is one of my requirements, and I can have essential gear accessible in a manner that I am used to. So combined with the use of camouflage and the terrain here my gear doesn't stand out.

If you are in an urban area then it may not be the best choice for you.
Could you tell me what plate carrier you use. I need to find 3 for my sons. I have large size plates, but no webgear other than some mollie gear and holsters.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM
Watching and Waiting.

Ok, so I do have full chest rig, but in my defense I was at a surplus store and they had a Tactical Tailor rig already built for 25 bucks so yeah I grabbed it. Do I ever think I will really need it, no, not unless its the Apocalypse and I have to fight off the hordes of MZB then I'll be glad I have it. I also have a 5.11 bail out bag that is set up for the range and as my AR companion bag. Its holds 6 mags a blow kit on the interior and my Otis cleaning kit. I know its a tactical purse, but if its bad enough for me to carry my AR around then I think I can get away with a tactical purse!

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/251156026131-1.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Moni1124 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 21,675 Times in 6,219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Could you tell me what plate carrier you use. I need to find 3 for my sons. I have large size plates, but no webgear other than some mollie gear and holsters.

I use Eagle Industries, CIRAS Land version but I would recommend you look at the ShellbackTactical Banshee plate carrier, it's good stuff and not nearly as expensive as the CIRAS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDFbound View Post
Wow Ashenville must be a rough neighborhood... And you dont need a chest rig to have easy access to those things, where is your BoB?
The Following User Says Thank You to Pik4chu For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 05:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,055 Times in 536 Posts

I've kind of been wondering the same thing myself I'm glad you brought this up. I've been looking at rigs as I am planning on getting a sidearm this summer and waste belts and I do not work well so I've been looking for something over shoulder
Old 02-20-2012, 05:47 PM
The Lord's Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYOP Soldier View Post
Really? You seriously think it will come to that in Kansas Toto?

That you'll need to set up OP'/LP's and the like and turn your home/subdivision/etc., into a fortress and repel invaders?

If that's your scenerio then drive on, get all Tommy Tactical'd up...Don't forget your ceramic plates to stop 7.62 rounds, and kevlar helmet as well....

If you're going to do it, carry 12 20-30 rnd mags and one in the weapon, like we did...don't forget the extra bandoliers i nthe ruck, a claymore and some frags....

plan on a butt pack, 2ea 1 qt canteens and a 2qt canteen or 100oz camelback in the ruck too....

i could go on, but you get my point....

some of these scenerios are, well.....
Thanks for all the "additional" information that I didn't ask for nor was worried about. But for right now, I'm focusing on a chest rig
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JoeKan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 19,291 Times in 6,517 Posts

Yes you want a chest rig. No its not mall ninja. I was not a mall ninja for 4 years in the USMC. Its very useful and necessary imo. Train with it so u don't look like an idiot and or get yourself killed. I carry a simple one that can easily be concealed with clothing over it.

The LAST thing you want to be doing in the middle of a firefight is finger****ing your pockets trying to find the next mag....ooh....here's my skittles!
Old 02-20-2012, 06:00 PM
first class white trash

Thanked 1,150 Times in 510 Posts

i absolutely do. they are very effective at hiding moobs. (man boobs)
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to tdawg75 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 06:08 PM
Tactical Pepsi Dispenser

Small pouch on the belt to stuff stripper clips in. Check

Shemagh. Check

Soviet Greatcoat. Working on it

I will be very recognizable. :D

No need for all the bells and whistles for me to be honest.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShiaSurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Texas Raised

No. No you dont.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aerbourne For This Useful Post: