Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Trapper

Default Beer can Stove

Advertise Here

Looking for someone's tried and true version.

Made my first last night, Doctor said it wasn't the worst cut she'd ever seen but that I should be more careful.

A very basic version of a penny stove. 2 can bottoms 1 with the 3 fill holes and the 16 pin holes around the edge which was force fitted into the 2nd can bottom.

Didn't measure amount of fuel, just added some and spilled a little around the stove to get the heat up. Once flame seen from pin holes I covered fill holes with a penny and place a pot with 2C of water on top.

If I had added more fuel water would have absolutely reached a boil.

My Questions: Is this stove temperature sensitve? Is it normal for the stove not to burn itself dry?

I saw someone else's that used hardware cloth as a stand to keep pot off burner and a piece of metal vent tube as a wind screen. I make both of these tonight

Any suggestions gladly accepted.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,839 Times in 2,374 Posts

Tons of vids on utube. You can spend hrs making the elaborite models. Best cheap stove I have ever used. Take a steel can, taller than wider, cut off top with P-38. Use P-38 to open slots verticly around open end can near the top. Use P-38 to twist open slots to be holes. Fill 1/2 with dry dirt/sand. Pour in some gasolene etc. Chase with match, set pot/cup on top of flaming can.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 03:54 AM
Sic Semper Tyrannis

Mine works sweet, I have also made a larger version out of 24oz rockstar cans that brings a canteens worth of water to a rolling boil in no time!

I second using Youtube as reserch, some good vdeos out there on the subject!
The Following User Says Thank You to DayAfterTomorrow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:12 AM

I like hybrid side-burners like 'venom stoves' and 'bud light stoves.' They create a pressure stove with a self-contained primer and pot stand.

All you really need is a hacksaw, sandpaper, and a drill. (needle as drillbit for jets, tiny nuts/bolts instead of rivets)

I like denatured alcohol for fuel (paint thinner, shellac thinner). I picked up a gallon for $12 recently.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 PM
Prepared

zenstoves.net i like rubbing alcohol because it is cheap. a bit dirty but it works good.
The Following User Says Thank You to equinelover For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 05:49 PM
Oath Keeper

Thanked 1,448 Times in 702 Posts

http://zenstoves.net/ - check out the alchool stoves TONS of great info.

That site is also a wealth of great info.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LIBERTYCHICKEN For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 06:19 PM
My best friends - CATS!

Mine is just like in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverage_can_stove It's just like the Trangia which I also have.

I have also made a pop-can version with a closed top and it really burns! I put a hole in the middle with a screw so it will pressurize.

Yes they burn dry. You put just enough alcohol in them to boil your water. Unless you have a Trangia with the screw-on lid you will have to have a way to put it out and safe the used alcohol.

Every liquid fuel stove is temperature sensitive. Some more than others. I never cut myself making one of these. I always use some fine sandpaper and buff the sharp edges.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felis_catus_9 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM
camps in trees

Thanked 1,515 Times in 685 Posts

Google minibull designs. He's on youtube also
The Following User Says Thank You to neo71665 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 PM

Got to say.................Very interesting!
Will have to give it a go!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
camps in trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by equinelover View Post
zenstoves.net i like rubbing alcohol because it is cheap. a bit dirty but it works good.

Really easy to distill rubbing alcohol into a more pure form. Most likely illegal unless you have the right permits (in the us they are free you just have a ton of hoops to jump). Just don't be making 55 gallons of it or bragging about it.

I've built a still out of coffee cans for fuel alcohol before.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,408 Posts

The Heinekin Penny Stove design is by far the best -- alas, Heinekin doesn't make the "mini keg" style cans anymore.

I have built a few of these over the years and used them a few times, it is about the lightest-weight stove you can build or buy! A windscreen is an absolute must, they are very sensitive to even the slightest breeze.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mortimer For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2012, 07:53 PM

I found that a tobacco tin lid fits perfectly inside a soda can. with those two items and a small V8 juice can i have made several stoves. not sure if non-us tobacco tins are the same size. I'm still working on the final design to get 1 oz of alcohol to boil 2 cups of water. right now i can get the water very hot but just short of boiling while in a 40degree F starting temp. my next modification will be to reduce the overall height to the tobacco tin, reduce pin hole sizes and the fill hole to extend the burn time past 12 mins.
The Following User Says Thank You to curlyjoe99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 02:48 AM
camps in trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyjoe99 View Post
I found that a tobacco tin lid fits perfectly inside a soda can. with those two items and a small V8 juice can i have made several stoves. not sure if non-us tobacco tins are the same size. I'm still working on the final design to get 1 oz of alcohol to boil 2 cups of water. right now i can get the water very hot but just short of boiling while in a 40degree F starting temp. my next modification will be to reduce the overall height to the tobacco tin, reduce pin hole sizes and the fill hole to extend the burn time past 12 mins.

Even in the us the ones with metal lids are different sizes, cope and redman are standard, and grizzly is a touch bigger. Not sure about other brands
Old 02-23-2012, 10:27 AM

Made my first from 2-20 oz. soda cans. Have since then switched to the Monster Drink cans ( the 32 oz. BFC cans to be exact). Cut myself on the first one as well.

I used the instructions found in the SOSAK site (Secret Order Of Swiss Army Knife) here.....http://www.sosakonline.com/index.php...d=71&Itemid=35

I like the bigger cans, and have a couple of the Sterno, folding stoves that these fit inside of rather nicely. As a matter of fact, I recently got a double. I keep a quart can of alcohol (denatured) from the paint store for these stoves. Rubbing alcohol will work, but this burns cleaner.

My go to stoves are ones I got as a set from an East German cook set that uses the Tragia alcohol stoves. I keep all the items ( stoves, pot rest, pots, hobo utensils, fuel funnel, quart of alcohol) in a surplus, East German, Gas Mask Bag. I'm going to do the same sort of set-up for all my SOSAK can stoves, adding the folding Sterno stoves, some pots and pans from Boy Scout mess kits that I have collected over the years from flea markets, garage sales, etc; A can of fuel, the same hobo utensil set, funnel, and a ferro rod,fire starter as well to both, since I found out how well they start the alcohol to burning. Normally I use a long, candle lighter.

These little stoves are fine as long as you have the alcohol to fuel them, so my next major project will be a small production still to make my own fuel. There are plenty of how-to videos and instructions out here in the cyber world, so this won't be a problem.Having options for other stoves that use natural fuels like twigs, pinecones, dried cow dung, etc, is a smart thing to do as well. If you can't use your alcohol stove, it's best to know how to cook over a camp fire also, and have the tools to do that too.

I love these little alcohol stoves though. A full fillling of the alcohol fuel, will give me a rolling boil in about 5 minutes, and continues to burn for 15-20. This is plenty of cooking time for most simple items like MRE's, Ramen Noodles, water for Easy Mac, Swiss Miss, and instant coffee, etc, etc,. By having a few of these ready to fill and light as the first ones go out, you can cook meals that require even longer cooking times. Just have one filled and ready to go as soon as the first goes out, pull that one out of your stove, slide the other in and light, and repeat as needed. I'm making a pair of tongs from a coat hanger to reach in and grab the hot, spent ones from the pot holders. While the second ( third, fourth, etc, ) is burning, the last one pulled out will be cooled enough right before the present one is done burning, so that accidental burning of your flesh won't happen because you poured alcohol into a hot can. By doing this, you could keep a cast iron dutch oven full of soup, stew , or chili cooking for hours, as long as you have the alcohol to fuel the stoves.
The Following User Says Thank You to DIM TIM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Prepared

I have several variations of the Penny Stove around and I have used it in backwoods dozens of times with great success.. I use DIY Alcohol stoves exclusively when backpacking.

Everclear or Moonshine (if i can get it) is my fuel of choice; put it in a small mouth-wash bottle and use it for fuel/drinking (dilute)/disinfectant/solvent. A little bit lasts the entire trip no problems.. perfect for ultralight backpacking.

Tip: If you throw some mint/oak leaves or the like in your everclear while trekking when you finally make it to camp dilute a little bit and enjoy a shot of your DIY Backcountry Whiskey; your sore/tense muscles will start relaxing right away... just make sure your hydrated.
The Following User Says Thank You to nayr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
The end is,,,,,

Thanked 9,095 Times in 3,857 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=147157

Good info here, these things get addictive.
The Following User Says Thank You to cleatis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Hunter

The only website you need.

http://zenstoves.net/

Hint, build the Dilator tool to make the assembly easier. Wish I knew of this website when I built my first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cragar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
Trapper

Thanks to all. I lke the idea of a couple of these small cheap stoves working together as needed. One flames out use the next and recycle as needed. I made a 16 1/2 brick Rocket stove and that thing does quite well.

Practice, practice I guess is the answer.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:16 PM

Cool stuff here, I had no idea
Old 02-24-2012, 01:00 AM

I might have to give this a whirl. I'm always looking for more little projects to keep myself busy.