Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 02-19-2012, 09:09 PM
Prepared

Default Plastic AR-15?

Advertise Here

Ok so I went to the KC gun show yesterday and picked up a PCF complete poly lower for an AR-15, I have a friend that has one and he paid 150 for his and I got mine for 120 OTD complete. I then picked up a DTI flat top upper for it.

Do any of you have one of the polymer AR-15 lowers? I have fired 500 rounds through it now, and 200 22lr with my conversion kit and it fires flawlessly and best of all its 1 1/2 pounds lighter than my other M4 and its even got the magwell grip on it during weigh in. I ordered a set of magpul flip ups for it, and I think I will go with a flat gas block and use flip up front sight to save even more weight.

It has a removable pistol grip, removable 6 position collapsible stock, and oddly enough polymer hammer and trigger set ( I KNOW RIGHT ) sounds week but it shoots well and all the reviews I am reading online seem to be pretty good. Of course you always get the "I wouldnt own a plastic rifle" or "I wouldnt take it to war thats for sure" hell neither would I, thats why I own 2 AK's 3 AR's and an AR10 lol those can be my battle rifles but this is a lightweight and cheap AR. I think I got it out the door with the lower and upper for $512

I dont know how I will like it and truth be known it may end up with a dedicated 22lr upper on it eventually if I can find a decent 5.45x39 upper but for right now I will shoot the crap outta it. I will try to remember to come back here to update how its going.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ijuswannalive For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 01:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,121 Times in 2,446 Posts

Man, I've been seeing these at the same KC shows, but I wanted to
really know how they performed before I put any money into it.

People said they wouldn't own plastic Glocks, too. Just sayin'.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Organ Donor

> I think I will go with a flat gas block and use flip up front sight to save even more weight.

I am an AR newbie but I am pretty sure polymer sights like the Magpul MBUS on a gas block is a no-no because of heat.

McLOVIN
Old 02-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,854 Times in 5,650 Posts

for .22LR or a 5.56 upper its probably just fine....might think twice before you put a .50 upper on it though!

I have been tempted myself
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Beginner's Mind

Thanked 2,897 Times in 996 Posts

I've carried a Bushmaster poly. Sure is light to carry and no problems with it at all.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 1,705 Times in 836 Posts

I have heard mixed reviews on the plum crazy lowers, but have handled the coyote arms ones and heard good things on those. Can't hurt to try it out for that price. If you put 1000 good rounds through it, it would be a great stowaway gun.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Hiker

Some AR15 lowers:
http://www.weaponeer.net/forum/forum...035&PN=1&TPN=3

The Following User Says Thank You to sygata For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 6,333 Times in 3,007 Posts

Ok, you have gotten me interested. I also found this.
http://www.lw15.com/
$100 for complete lower including shipping from this place, but I have no idea if they are
a good place to shop or not.
http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/New_...111&Click=4368
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Just a redneck

Thanked 1,721 Times in 707 Posts

I have 2 guns built off of these lowers. The first I have several thousand rounds through with 0 problems, heck it doesn't even reall show any wear except the hammer is now a dulled color. That rifle has a 16 lightweight barrel upper and still has a tight fit between the upper and lower.

The second is freshly built with a free floating flutes heavy barrel upper topped off with a Vortex scope. I have yet to fire this setup because I have been so busy but hopefully this week. If ya'll want I could post pics of them later.

The first lower was a birthday gift a year ago the second was my brother in laws that he never built and needed money so he sold it to me for $65.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Texas Raised

i wanna hear what people have to say about this
Old 02-20-2012, 11:32 AM
Prepared

I've seen several of them that were cracked and broken on AR-15 dot com... I wouldn't hesitate to have a dedicated .22 built on one, but I wouldn't build one into a serious SHTF rifle. Just sayin'

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...186l0.5.5l10l0

- Clint
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskacajun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,004 Times in 1,082 Posts

My AR-180B is a polymer lower. I know some have had issues with the shotgun opening breaking the pin off the front, but is is only supposed to be early models. A polymer AR-15 lower might have the same problem if you let it snap open to hard. Waiting on some cash to put a side folder on mine.

Was looking those magwell grips, wonder if they would fit on the AR-180 without to much trouble?
Old 02-20-2012, 03:46 PM
Just a redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskacajun View Post
I've seen several of them that were cracked and broken on AR-15 dot com... I wouldn't hesitate to have a dedicated .22 built on one, but I wouldn't build one into a serious SHTF rifle. Just sayin'

http://www.google.com/search?tbm=isc...186l0.5.5l10l0

- Clint

And if you look, I mean really look many of those that failed it was do to operator error. Heck I have seen regular metal AR receivers fail as well. PC also has a lifetime warranty on their lowers so as long as you didn't do something stupid to cause the issue they will replace your receiver.

Also many of the people that bad mouth them have never even laid hands on one let alone fired many thousands of rounds from one. I know several people with them and the only issue was a broken magazine release and that is on one of mine. I personally know people that use these lowers on their varmint guns and the like so they are being used outside a range and bench setting. Heck I have taken my lightweight rockchuck and coyote hunting.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Prepared

Yeah I actually posted this on a gun forum as well, people have mixed reactions but they say they are American Made, good warranty, and hold up well.

I figure if I do break it I would get a warranty repair and put a dedicated 22lr upper on it, then just put a new lower on my DTI upper
Old 02-20-2012, 09:05 PM
357 Mag, sex for the hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by remus View Post
And if you look, I mean really look many of those that failed it was do to operator error.
How does a lower break due to operator error?
Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Just a redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84tecate View Post
How does a lower break due to operator error?
One of the biggest is improper buffer tube install and removal. A large percentage of the PC lowers I have seen that were broken it was basically broken off at the buffer tube fitting. Guys go try changing the buffer tube for one reason or another and do things wrong like reefing on it like a metal receiver and it breaks. Normally problems with these lowers start when someone starts ****ing around with them to much and don't know what they are doing.

Some breaks are manufacturing caused of course, like the magazine release on mine. However the warranty is there to cover those issue.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Prepared

Quote:
And if you look, I mean really look many of those that failed it was do to operator error. Heck I have seen regular metal AR receivers fail as well. PC also has a lifetime warranty on their lowers so as long as you didn't do something stupid to cause the issue they will replace your receiver.

Also many of the people that bad mouth them have never even laid hands on one let alone fired many thousands of rounds from one. I know several people with them and the only issue was a broken magazine release and that is on one of mine. I personally know people that use these lowers on their varmint guns and the like so they are being used outside a range and bench setting. Heck I have taken my lightweight rockchuck and coyote hunting.

What good is that warranty going to be if the SHTF? I said that I wouldn't build one into a serious SHTF rifle, so how was I bad mouthing them?

- Clint
Old 02-21-2012, 12:05 PM
Prepared

Quote:
One of the biggest is improper buffer tube install and removal. A large percentage of the PC lowers I have seen that were broken it was basically broken off at the buffer tube fitting. Guys go try changing the buffer tube for one reason or another and do things wrong like reefing on it like a metal receiver and it breaks. Normally problems with these lowers start when someone starts ****ing around with them to much and don't know what they are doing.

Some breaks are manufacturing caused of course, like the magazine release on mine. However the warranty is there to cover those issue.
Have you EVER seen that happen to an aluminum lower?

Will you concede that the plastic lower is a poor substitute for an aluminum lower?

- Clint
Old 02-21-2012, 09:06 PM
Just a redneck

If a polymer lower were such a terrible substitute I would not have two of my ARs built using that lower and if I felt it was unsafe I most certainly would not let my fiance use them. This is the same argument that people had when Glock first came on the scene. Now there are how many manufactures building polymer framed hand guns?

And actually I have seen similar damage to an aluminum lower, again caused by operator error. Heck I have seen someone strip out the buffer tube threads during an install that was interesting.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:29 PM
Prepared

Remus... I'm sorry to be the one to break this to you, but I honestly believe you are wrong about many of your claims. What sux is I have simply lost interest in trying to prove you wrong because I have better things to do with my time. If you feel good about your choice, then I'm happy for you.

To anyone else that is on the fence about possibly using one of these lowers for a serious SHTF rifle build, all one needs to do is Google "Plum Crazy Broken" and there are a plethora of threads on different websites describing how their lowers broke. I haven't read any that have said that it was from "operator error" yet! What I have read are that most of these things break when someone lets the upper drop open when taking it down to clean the rifle and it shears off the front take down lugs... which sounds to me like what one would expect from cheap toy grade plastic, not a robust polymer material.

- Clint
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alaskacajun For This Useful Post: