Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-17-2012, 12:50 AM

Default When do MREs Expire

Advertise Here

I bought several boxes of MREs from a buddy. Enough to feed my family of four for a month. I'm worried they might be expired but can't quite tell by the boxes. How long are these good for?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,680 Times in 1,514 Posts

Military ones don't have expiration date, only manufacture date code:

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/mre-date-codes.html

http://www.thereadystore.com/emergen...2/faqs-mres-2/

- OS
Old 02-17-2012, 01:36 AM
Tactical Pepsi Dispenser

From what I know they don't however they can be improperly sealed. I had a buddy buy a box and I bought one from him to try. The bread ended up being all moldy and nasty.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Target Shooter

I had some that I shlepped around and kept for about 15 years. Finally decided to open them up and see how they were. The "wet" foods were nasty, not really edible any more. The dry foods like the crackers, candy bars, and Chicklets were still good!
The Following User Says Thank You to octotat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 91,864 Times in 30,686 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

How long they last is heavily influenced by the temperatures they experience in storage. I've had them go completely inedible in 3 years when sitting around in desert heat conditions. In cooler storage, they last a lot longer.

For more info, check out www.mreinfo.com
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 01:28 PM

Well as long as the Chiclets are good all is not lost.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:25 PM
just sit back and enjoy

Just dont leave them in extreme heat or direct sunlight. DONT buy the cheap MRE's in the clear bags buy real ones.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:21 PM

military one DO have an epiration date. Trust me. There is a date on the case at which thime they sneed to be checked. When the pouches are expanded out, thats a sign they have gone bad.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Target Shooter

If these are "real" MREs in the original boxes, there are a couple of things you can look at.

You can look at the date codes on the outside of the box and tell when they were manufactured and when they are supposed to be inspected/tested. Let's say you had a box that was made in 2001. It would have the manufacture date marked along with a lot number. Then it would have the inspect/test date stamped, three years after manufacture date. But that only tells you how old they are. There is another variable: heat. Heat is the enemy of food storage, and MREs in particular. Never store MREs in the attic or in an uninsulated garage where they can be exposed to heat for a long period of time.

The newer ones have a Time and Temperature Indicator (TTI) on the outside of the box. If the center of the circle is lighter than the outside ring, you are OK. If it's the same color, it's going to be iffy. If it's darker, then the MREs have been heat stressed or have been sitting around for a really long time. At that point, they are probably mostly shot.

I say "mostly" because some items in MREs seem to go south while some components seem to stay good forever. I've eaten crackers and peanut butter from MREs that were 20 years old and perfectly fine. When in doubt, open one up and give everything a good smell test. The cheese sauce, applesauce, and pears, in particular, will turn dark brown when they have been heat stressed. But even if they are bad, there may still be components in the bad MRE that are still good. Like I said, the crackers and peanut butter never seem to go bad. I've had good luck with the beef stew, escalloped potatoes and ham, and chicken stew lasting 18 years or more. It was still perfectly edible, and I ate it. Tasted like brand new.

Pay attention to leaky or bulging food pouches. This indicates something has gone wrong; either they were not sealed right or they have developed botulism. Discard these. Make sure you don't throw them away where animals can get to them.

There is no easy way to tell how long an MRE will last. It relies on the temperature they were stored at and the length of time. If they were stored in a very cold place, they could last at least a decade... or much longer. If stored in a hot place, they might only last months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scoutmaster316 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2012, 06:44 PM

Okay. I am on the road and I will take a pic of the case and post it. I bought four of them thinking I'd have a months worth of meals for a family of four if some short term disaster struck. But I haven't even broken open a case yet.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS455 View Post
Okay. I am on the road and I will take a pic of the case and post it. I bought four of them thinking I'd have a months worth of meals for a family of four if some short term disaster struck. But I haven't even broken open a case yet.
I'd love to see a pic of the outside of the box, showing the date stamps and lot number. We can tell you exactly when it was made.

It might be a good idea to crack open a case and see if they have the newer, tan pouches, or the older, dark brown pouches. If they are the older type, they are pre-1992 and should be considered to be a curiosity, not a serious emergency supply of food. Some of these sat around in the desert during Gulf War I and went around the bend due to heat stress. Unfortunately you can't tell without opening one of them up and testing it, since they didn't have Time & Temp Indicators back then.