Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2012, 01:30 AM

Default Crovel: actually useful or tacticool crap?

Advertise Here

Hey all, i was surfing through the web tonight and came across this odd piece of kit called a crovel, which is a crowbar/shovel/hammer/pick ax hybrid and was wondering if anyone had any experiance with it. Ive been meaning to pick up an e-tool for the car trunk and am wondering if it was of sturdy construction and if the extra gadgets are worth the price tag. thanks
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NMF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 08:12 AM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 21,743 Times in 6,631 Posts

Do you have a lot of need for a crowbar or hammer in your car?

My experience has been that the more things a tool can do, the less effectively it tends to do each one.

If it were me, I'd buy a FatMax Fubar and then add a shovel if I needed one. Price would be less, and each would be better designed for actual use.

The FUBAR:

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to goose3 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 08:22 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,651 Times in 668 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Picutres and links often help in discussions like this.

http://www.crovelfoldingshovel.com/#
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,827 Times in 708 Posts

I agree with Goose3. The more functions a tool has the less efficient it is with one of the tools.

Look at Leatherman type tools. I've had a Wave for years and am never without it. I am always grabbing it for the knife or pliers. But the screw drivers are a PITA. OK for an emergency but if I know I will need one I take a real one form my shop.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 7.62 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Hunter

it is quite a heavy piece of gear at 6 pounds. I'm curious how the saw teeth and the blade edge holds up after digging...say a fire pit. Common enough in camping right?

Here is a youtube video of it I'm glad he didn't go all "Cold Steel" on everything, I can't take that company serious.

He says that he uses it as a seat...personally I wouldn't want to sit on something with saw teeth on one side an a "razor sharp edge" on the other side especially if all you have to palance on is that hammer thing.

There is quite a bit on this and this is an expensive little bugger when comparing it to an e-tool. As a camping tool, I would be hesitant to call it one and it would not be a hikers tool. I don't know many uses of a crowbar camping, the shovel can be used to hammer in spikes....but so can a shoe. I have a little problem with the shovel shape. If I'm not mistaken the gradual U-shape inhibits its digging ability unlike some sort of point. It would probably be a good trunk tool in that if there was an major accident, it would probably be very useful.

I'm sure it is quite durable. I wouldn't want to hit steel doors with it but I'm sure it could take a lot of punishment. Everything seems there for durability with the liberal use of welding. For the weight, I would be surprised that it would break anywhere but the weld.

Here is a new tacticool thing for ya:
http://www.gearupcenter.com/new-z-sp...vel-accessory/
The Following User Says Thank You to the cow For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Psalm 23:4

Thanked 2,688 Times in 767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose3 View Post
Do you have a lot of need for a crowbar or hammer in your car?

My experience has been that the more things a tool can do, the less effectively it tends to do each one.
I do and will always keep tools in my car because they have been life savers. I agree with your second statement entirely. Anytime you combine function it requires a compromise. There are rare situations and a few products that its worth it. But very few and as a general rule dont compromise unless you have to.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedTail For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 10:08 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,891 Posts

About a year ago there was a china army guy vid with their new E-tool. He could chop up dinner, row a dingy with two, fend off spear attacks ... like 18 different tools in one. So I ask how much sawing can you do with a curved short blade? Why not just chop through the stick. Now if they add a 12 ga in the handle, a fire steel and a ivory tooth pick and a few other trick items I'm all in.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 10:18 AM
AN, DE & MCA

Thanked 4,441 Times in 1,224 Posts

I have one(3 actually) that were samples from the inventor. He was looking to see if our company wanted to carry/rep them with the rest of our products. Not really in our wheel house.

We put one on our FAV(Fast Attack Vehicle) i have one that i have not used yet and gave one to a hard core 4x4 guy at our company for "testing". No report back yet.

He will be appearing on the National Geographic series on Preppers starting this year(i think).

He had a mishap while filming the show, which i am looking fwd to see. Cant give you any more hints, but it should be interesting.
Old 01-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armordude View Post
I have one(3 actually) that were samples from the inventor. He was looking to see if our company wanted to carry/rep them with the rest of our products. Not really in our wheel house.

We put one on our FAV(Fast Attack Vehicle) i have one that i have not used yet and gave one to a hard core 4x4 guy at our company for "testing". No report back yet.

He will be appearing on the National Geographic series on Preppers starting this year(i think).

He had a mishap while filming the show, which i am looking fwd to see. Cant give you any more hints, but it should be interesting.
I guess since the crovel isn't in your area of expertise, what was your original impressions of it? When you saw it or handled it, did it "wow" you? Did it feel like a Rolex watch or did it feel like a Walmart brand?

Generally speaking, first impressions tend to hold some truth as to the quality of a product. The crovel is an item that I would have to handle myself to know if it is the real deal or just a mall ninja item. I do love how its made in the USA

Here is a video review for the crovel, the thing couldn't saw with a darn and its chopping abilities are to be desired. That might be due to the guy swinging it above waist level. I think the next step for them is to rework the shovel to make it a better chopper and fix the balancing/weight issues
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,958 Times in 4,458 Posts

Seeing as I never heard of it until now...........tacticool.
Old 01-02-2012, 03:03 PM
AN, DE & MCA

Thanked 4,441 Times in 1,224 Posts

First impressions: strong, well built and heavy! Not something you would put in your BOB, but in the BOV, sure.

Here is a video you probably have not seen. Tim, the inventor sent this to me.

Zombie's beware!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Armordude For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Hunter

what a waste of pork...though didn't seem to do too much in that pokey pokey staby staby motion, but what could you do with such a rounded tip.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 3,753 Times in 1,891 Posts

I don't want say anything bad about a USA made item. But they need to work on better vid's if they expect to sell many. Perhaps they bribe a congress person to require the military to be lug around this beast. The good news is it is pork proven.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:57 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,037 Posts

I think that I mentioned this a friend of mine's Father beat severial North Vietnamese Regulars to death with an E-Tool immortalized in the painting Night Action in Nam.

I absolutely do not discount the use of a shovel as a weapon but well that is kind of what you use when you have absolutely nothing else.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:01 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,542 Times in 2,723 Posts

2+ times as heavy as a standard entrenching tool. You know all they did was take a $5 crowbar, cut off one end of it, thread that end and make an adapter for the standard e-tool shovel. Then they welded the "hammer" onto the crowbar and compromised the usefulness of that end.

IMO, this is not near as useful as just carrying the standard entrenching tool (with pick) and a standard crow bar. Better yet, get the standard entrenching tool and a titanium crow bar for about the same cost of the Crovel.

http://www.materials.com/Titanium_tools.HTML

Or, if you don't want to spend that much money, get either the Stanley tool (that would be my choice) or a flat pry bar.

Remember, an e-tool is for carrying while not with a motorized vehicle - so weight and size matter. If you have a vehicle then carrying a full sized shovel and other standard inexpensive tools is much more preferable as they are much easier to use and much more productive (more work done for the same effort and time).

As much as "all in one" tools appeal to me, you have to look at them with a critical eye. How will they be used? Are they better than the same tools separately? In this case I don't see the benefits.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:28 PM

Default Give em to the Zombies

There isn't one thing about that tool that compels me to want to own one. It cant saw, it cant pound a nail, it deforms when pulling a nail. It can't chop, and digging is very poor. Plus its too heavy to be hauled around on foot. A decent survival knife can outperform that thing.

Instead they should be issued to the zombies, to slow them down and make them helpless. Yeah Baby!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:57 PM
Constitution!

Personally, I think the Crovel tries to fit too much into one tool. I'd prefer to split the job between 1) a standard E-tool and 2) a separate utility bar.

So to give you an example, these are 2 tools that I absolutely always have in my car/BOB:

1) Gerber Entrenching Tool with Pick, Serrated Blade

and

2) Stanley 18" FatMax Xtreme FUBAR

Together, they weigh in at less than 5 pounds total, and can do any job you can throw at them -- dig, pick, chop, row, hammer, pry, split, cut, bend, strike, and a whole lot more.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:02 PM

you have to have some strength to use the thing. I have one and can say it is the best etool i have bought to date.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,184 Times in 652 Posts

According to the specs on Amazon, that Fubar weighs a good 4 pounds. A professional framing hammer, more like 22-28 ounces depending on framer preference. The 22 oz might have a longer fiberglass handle.

4 pounds is light sledge hammer weight. A typical full sledge might be 8 pounds or more. Typical "standard" hammers are 16 oz.

To me that fubar is a wrecking tool only. I imagine it's handy for that, but that's what it's for.

Since I'm not in shape to hammer all day long with a 28 oz, I'd take a typical 22 oz Stanley hammer with nail puller for all around utility.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon42 View Post
you have to have some strength to use the thing. I have one and can say it is the best etool i have bought to date.

What do you use it for exactly? Just for digging or what? I have a Ka-Bar with serrations I never use.