Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 02-15-2012, 10:20 AM
VA / NC

Thanked 13,751 Times in 5,493 Posts
Default SHTF People Do Come Together

Advertise Here

Okay this is a re-run on a past event, but it's an even that should never be forgot for two reasons. It shows what others are willing to do to us, and shows how during a TSHF event, people rise from the least suspected places to improvise and help their fellow Americans.

Some will say we deserved such an event, and some even desire to believe that our own government was involved. Personally I would rather this thread not go into the area of blame where it has been taken time and time again, but would rather all just take a look at how the everyday American can show compassion and come to the aid of their fellow man.

Spectacular film of how those on the water bonded and came to the rescue of their fellow man on 911.

The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:00 AM

I think a lot of Americans were very brave and helped people during this time, especially the firefighters and rescue personnell that lost their lives. I do not think that this is a good example of how people will act in a SHTF event though since it was localized to two buildings and they're surrounding area and for the thousands that died, millions went on without any physical effect (we can debate the trauma casued by stress and I don't want to undermine that but I want to talk just about the event).
I think if you look at the hurricane in New Orleans, that is a better example of a SHTF event and how people react. There was murders, beatings, rapes, robberies and all sorts of bad stuff because some people were trying to survive and others were trying to capitalize on the event. I personally would not trust an event that causes some wide spread damage to be met by the good of people...if there was something to loot at 911, you can bet it would have happened, if there was opportunity to rob someone, it would have happened. It was a quick and vicious attack on democracy that I hope we never see repeated.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:28 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,978 Times in 2,813 Posts

I tend to agree with East Coast Woods that most will pull together.

When Timothy McVeigh bombed the Murrah Building first responders would ask the public for items they needed to continue working. Not long (sometimes only hours) after the local media made those requests known, regardless of what was needed, they would make an announcement that people needed to stop bringing items by, that they had more than they could use of that item. Then the call would come out for another item and again the public would respond in the most amazing way. This went on for days.

It is a fairly unknown fact that looting was non-existent and the crime rate dropped of to nearly zero for days after the bombing.

The way the community in Oklahoma City (and the state as a whole) pulled together to handle this crisis was nothing less than phenomenal.

Maybe it's just localized areas that do this sort of thing, but there will always be those who rise to the occasion, just as there are those who will take advantage. Let us pray there are always more of the first and less of the latter.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:33 AM

See I tend to agree in situations like that but not in nig SHTF events. If someone's house on your street burns down and you don't know them but know they have kids, you will immediatly help with clothes or food if you have kids even if you don't know them.
When a large impact SHTF event strikes and everyone is threatened, how helpful will you be? 911 and the OK City bombing were isolated events and people were not threatened that this was going to continue, but if there was a food storage, massive collapse of the financial system, people will be very different.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,978 Times in 2,813 Posts

I think you may be right but again I believe that even smaller groups will band off and help each other, like your neighborhood example. I have several neighbors I have scoped out to help, even though they might not be prepping themselves.

I also have a couple who had better not darken my door unless they come upon a real attitude change. I'm guessing being hungry and sober might help that out a little. If not, I can see the entire neighborhood shunning them real quick. The vast majority of us are decent, hard-working folks who don't mind sharing but look less kindly on someone taking what has not been offered freely.

We all have small yards but all of us together could have a pretty large garden. We might not care for what we are eating but at least we would eat.

Same with security. We are lucky enough to live on a street that only has one real access point and is kinda off the beaten path. Within walking distance of a city lake, with plenty of dove, squirrel, feral cats, raccoons, etc. ... you get the picture. And several of my neighors hunt either with firearms or archery and some of us with both. There are more than a few of us with chickens, and I suspect a couple with rabbits (they are on my list to acquire this year).

I may be completely nuts but I think we would do okay should things go sideways. At least I am hoping so.
The Following User Says Thank You to BadgeBunny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,588 Times in 9,526 Posts

much to the dislike of the federal government... people already have started coming together.... and as times goes onwards... we will still gather together in different manners
The Following User Says Thank You to cowboy56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Tenacious

Thanked 6,015 Times in 2,796 Posts

While I agree with East Coast Woods regarding the community's response to the immediate post-9/11 events and BadgeBunny's recounting of how the public donated needed items after the Murrah Building bombing, I genuinely think the community response will vary depending on a number of factors, including: Was it an external trigger, like the above two cases? Was it a natural disaster, like Katrina? And, what is the population density, location of the incident and the general composition of the survivors, if any?

As I read the above responses, I recalled the tornadoes of April 2011 in our region. Specifically, Greene County and Carter County in Tennessee and southwest Virginia (I can't recall the specific counties). According to the news, in Carter County and southwest Virginia, the community came together and little crime was reported. In Greene County, the affected area had to be closed off by local LEOs because "outsiders" were coming in and stealing items which had been strewn about by the high winds. So the victims were victimized twice -- once by Mother Nature and again by thieves. If volunteers arrived to help the victims clean up their property and look for missing possessions, they had to be vetted by the people they had come to help. At least twice, the news media had to remind people: Do not come to the Camp Creek area to be a "looky-loo."

Last year was a wake-up call for me: rural does not equate to safe.