Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 PM

Default Remington 870 express into tactical?

Advertise Here

I have a 10 yr old 870 express 12 ga. that I was wondering if there is a way of making it into a tactical shotgun? Is there a kit? Is it worth doing? I have a 28" barrel now, so I would need to get a shorter barrel as part of the modification.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,111 Times in 459 Posts

I believe that the express model uses some synthetic or at least less than ideal parts in the internals, whereas the police model does not.

I've often thought of using an express for the same thing because I like the finish.

Someone will be along shortly to either verify or contradict me.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Prepared

I looked into the same thing and came to the conclusion that I would be better off buying another shotgun.

Replacement barrels are around $140, and I can get a new 870 tactical for about $310 - where I know everything will work as advertised.

Or - watch for a Mossberg sale or even a Savage deal that Cabela's had last month - 12 gauge pump with 2 barrels for $299.
The Following User Says Thank You to compexp For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,204 Posts

For what its worth....mine is a Remington 870 Wingmaster I bought used for a paltry sum of fun dollars with a 26 inch barrel. After a few bolt on accessories, I was able to turn it into a right nice fire arm to address things that go bump in the night. Yeah that six extra inches of barrel is a little bit of an a pain at times in really tight confines but most of the time its hardly noticable over a 20 inch barrel. It did however allow me to go with a 10 shot extension instead of just an 8 shot one which is a nice added plus and a rude suprise for anyone (such as a bad guy) who might be counting my shots!

Just buy an extra barrel and add your accessories one at a time until you get it configured the way you want it, then it can serve double duty for you and be a flexible platform in the field or when facing mutant Zombies, what ever the case as the situation may dictate.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,753 Posts

I'd buy a tactical model for $310.

Barrel is about $150, pistol grip $30-60, magazine tube extension $30+. your looking close to $250 right there.

I got plenty of shotguns. All of them in stock form. You'll do fine the way it is.

870 in 20 gauge 26" barrel -small game hunting when hunting all day, lihtweight gun
11-87 in 12 gauge 28" barrel -gun I use to teach folks how to shoot trap and for turkey hunting
Browning Citori 12 gauge 26" barrel over under- trap, skeet, and pheasant/grouse hunting
11-87 in 20 gauge 21" barrel youth model- wife and daughter gun shorter barrel helps with balacne and swing.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:54 PM

What is deemed as tactical?
What do you want it used for is the best question.
Start there and I think you will get better answers.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,341 Times in 1,870 Posts

Tactical is software not hardware. You reaction to a situation and how you respond to it to make it advantageous to you or the mission. If you add hardware to your gun it is for making it more efficient or a better shooter or just to look cool but that is not tactical.

Shorter barrel with rifle sights or a scope mounted on it makes it more practical for Home defense. Mount a light if you feel the need. I do not find pistol grips advantageous but some do, a new stock will take care of that. If your gun is in good shape and you use it as is you will be money ahead to buy a gun in the configuration that you want but try one first before you drop the money on it. You may not like the results.

My gun for HD is a Mossberg 9200 with 18" barrel, full choke and hi viz rifle sights, Short, light, easy to shoot and no bells or whistles to encumber the gun. Simple always works.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2012, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compexp View Post
I looked into the same thing and came to the conclusion that I would be better off buying another shotgun.

Replacement barrels are around $140, and I can get a new 870 tactical for about $310 - where I know everything will work as advertised.

Or - watch for a Mossberg sale or even a Savage deal that Cabela's had last month - 12 gauge pump with 2 barrels for $299.
Are you saying that you can get a new one of these for $310? Where?

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx
Old 02-11-2012, 03:25 PM

They have an even more tactical model.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...blackhawk.aspx
Old 02-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,395 Times in 2,010 Posts

You can do it, but I don't know that its cost effective. Even if you bought and old used one off from gunbroker for 100 then after you bought all new synthetic hardware, duracoat to finish it, new shorter barrel, sights (optional) your over where you would be if you bough a new one off the shelf of ****s sporting goods.

I mean there is always the "this is my shotgun, there are many like it but this one is mine" mentality. And i can understand that. But if that is what you aim to do then the above is what I would do to it and maybe add a surefire forend.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Wire Guided

Basically, an 870 is an 870 is an 870. The military and police models do have certain parts that are milled steel and not compressed, powdered metals (extractor is one of the few parts...can't remember the others off-hand, but I could check my references if anyone is interested.) The express model has a different magazine tube cap, which makes adding a magazine extension a little trickier (you have to ensure you get a model specific extension.) All you really need to do is replace your existing barrel with either a Wingmaster or Police magnum barrel and the standard police/military model mag extension will work. The compressed metal parts are 99% as good as milled parts...Remington goes with milled parts on the military/LE models because a failure to fire or failure to extract while duck hunting is not the same as a failure to fire/failure to extract when in a firefight.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 3,079 Times in 1,552 Posts

Quote:
Your reaction to a situation and how you respond to it to make it advantageous to you or the mission.
Grump, I've never heard it put that way before. I like it. Well said, OG!

rich
Old 02-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,846 Times in 5,600 Posts

What makes a gun tactical is the hands it is being operated in.
The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 07:45 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m47dragon View Post
Basically, an 870 is an 870 is an 870. The military and police models do have certain parts that are milled steel and not compressed, powdered metals (extractor is one of the few parts...can't remember the others off-hand, but I could check my references if anyone is interested.) The express model has a different magazine tube cap, which makes adding a magazine extension a little trickier (you have to ensure you get a model specific extension.) All you really need to do is replace your existing barrel with either a Wingmaster or Police magnum barrel and the standard police/military model mag extension will work. The compressed metal parts are 99% as good as milled parts...Remington goes with milled parts on the military/LE models because a failure to fire or failure to extract while duck hunting is not the same as a failure to fire/failure to extract when in a firefight.
You should review the difference between police and express here.
Police models are built with quality and care because LEO's and military have their lives on the line. I went with a 11-87P

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=11636
Old 02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

to what end other than to make it look cool?

won't make you shoot any better
Old 02-12-2012, 08:11 PM

usefulness in HD situations. Not much of a bird hunter
Old 02-12-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfam View Post
I know I am new to this forum but I must say that it is getting pretty frustrating. I ask for some input on whether it is worth making an 870 with a 28" barrel into a tactical model and I get stuff like...

- Tactical is software not hardware blah blah blah.

- What makes a gun tactical is the hands it is being operated in

There is crap like this in every thread I read. I think my question was a straightforward one. I have a gig ass shotgun that I would like to make into a more tactical one. Rather than detailing every aspect I used a term that anyone who I would want an opinion on the subject would know and understand. If you do not, please take a look at the numerous "Tactical" versions of shotguns being produced today; or better yet do not post a comment.

Are you people always like this? Too bad, cause I am sure there are people with incredible knowledge to share.

THANK YOU TO THE PEOPLE WHO POSTED HONEST REPLIES!!!

Look don't get upset but tactical is an ambiguous term that is somewhat amorphous from one persons perspective to anther.

what are you wanting your "tactical weapon to do"
you gave no specifics as to what performance features you were looking for in your shotgun

are you wanting rails to mount crap on
longer mag tube?
ability to use stick mags or 10rnd drums?
tactical stock?

mean your getting ****y over your lack of offering insight into what your looking for

also what application do you anticipate using it for we talking about a general purpose shotgun good for hunting and home defense or you want the shortest barrel possible so its only good for HD?

tactical is a **** word there is no such thing as a tactical weapon and those who are in the know who's opinion you claim to want know that its not the tool that uses the killer but the killer who uses the tool.

anything can be used tactically be it using get cord to breach a house or using whats just around you at the time to accomplish the objective

and incase you are amiss in your understanding of tactics/ tactical
Quote:
A procedure or set of maneuvers engaged in to achieve an end, an aim, or a goal.
tactical
Quote:
of, relating to, or employing tactics

saying you want a tactical weapon is like saying i want a healthy spoon
Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushfam View Post
usefulness in HD situations. Not much of a bird hunter
most likely you can get shorter barrels to replace your current barrel that will help you with being able to maneuver around corners better
http://www.cabelas.com/barrels-choke...arrels-1.shtml

18 in barrels are around 120 they should be plug an play
Old 02-12-2012, 08:30 PM
Hunter

This is tacticool....I put the ati shield on it though...boy does it ever kill bowling pins. You won't be able to find a new one though.They only made 1500 of these "870 Tactical magnums".

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Fringe Element

Thanked 3,142 Times in 1,398 Posts

Well, you can sure as heck go the *other* way... I bought a nice "Lawn Forcement Only"
folding-stock short-barrel (with sights) 870 a long time ago, and decided I needed to
kill starlings with it. So I got a wood stock out of a gun show and bought a Hastings
barrel for it with internal chokes, and added a Choate extended tube so I could
fill the air with flying lead and falling Starlings.

(OK... On the count of 3, everybody yell **FUDD**!!!! 1... 2... .... )

But I did save ALL the original parts.

Then I decided I wanted to try them newfangled Sabot slugs out so I got a rifled
slug barrel for it.

Now I've moved out of farm territory so I don't have huge flocks of starlings any more,
and I'm thinking I might need it for huge flocks of Obama-voters. So, I'm thinking
about going back to the original con-figger-ation again...