Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,832 Times in 2,469 Posts
Default A natural way to get rid of head lice.

Advertise Here

So many kids get them, and, WORSE, now there are lice that are pesticide resistant! When my kids had them I tried just about EVERYTHING, both home remedies and chemical!

Finally, I found a remedy on line that worked very well indeed: hair conditioner!

Hair conditioner dissolves the glue that holds the eggs to the hair shafts, and it also makes the hair shaft too slippery for the louse to hang on to it.

Basically, after shampooing the childs head, apply generous amounts of hair conditioner. Comb with a louse comb, rinsing VERY well after each stroke. After combing the childs head, rinse the conditioner out and you are done. This removes both lice and eggs. Repeat daily for 10 days and you are DONE!

Any louse the child may pick up in their room or whatever will be combed out with the daily conditioning and combing. And, no louse can go many days without feeding and so they will be GONE!!!!!!

This worked when the chemicals did not!
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,561 Times in 4,849 Posts

Why not just Shave the Childs Head? Duh.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jungleboy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 02:48 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 19,633 Times in 7,033 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungleboy View Post
Why not just Shave the Childs Head? Duh.
would even save money for a while on hair cuts. Good idea.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
The Following User Says Thank You to madcritter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 PM

In particular, use coconut conditioner. The lice don't like the smell, and are repulsed by it, so it helps to prevent reinfestation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lerxst2112 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Shaving is great if you're a boy - if you're a girl, hell I couldn't even talk my tomgirl into a mohawk (and i really tried)

honestly, if you dont want to do chemicals the best thing to do is mayo and vinegar. they smell like a potato salad for a few days but it works. you LATHER in mayo and use the lice comb to get them out. Go thru each section of hair very carefully. When you're done, rinse with vinegar blow dry and then as if you havent brushed enough, go through the sections of hair again and pull out each of the nits. Thats actually the most important part, picking them out because if you leave even one they'll multiply again. We had them super bad last year until I finally did the nit picking daily and we got rid of them. Feel free to shoot me questions on this!

now when the shtf AND they have lice - its shaving time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kicka$$girls For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 PM
One of YHVH's sheep

Thanked 21,714 Times in 8,585 Posts

Cool. I have used mayonnaise and it worked. This would be better. Something about the oil. I was told that black people rarely get lice because of all the oil in the hair products that they use.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:36 AM
Tell the truth, coward.

Thanked 26,558 Times in 10,508 Posts

1 tsp tea tree oil in 2 tbsp shampoo. Wash hair, leave in 10 mins, rinse out.

Then put conditioner in the hair, comb with the nit comb, rinse thoroughly and repeat every 3 days for a total of 9 days or 4 washes. You leave a head untreated for a week and you will have an entirely new population from one nit: retreat every 3 days and theoretically after 1 wash you have removed all live lice, after 2 washes you have removed all newly hatched lice, after 3 you have guaranteed that even the late egg hatchers have been got rid of and that fourth wash should be doing nothing at all.

Inform all parents of your child's friends the moment the child has nits;
Agree amongst yourselves to send girls to school with their hair in plaits and covered with a bandanna or similar. Treat your own hair and that of your other children at the same time. Boys can have a number three haircut.

Conditioner paralyses headlice but only temporarily - once its washed off they are fine again. So be careful to wash them down the drain properly, and to get rid of them all.

In extremis, a product being used in England where resistant headlice are just about taking over:

Coconut oil shampoo works as a mechanical suffocant - the oil particles are small enough to get into the breathing tubes of the lice and they suffocate to death. Only works on live lice.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Absolutely! For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 11:06 PM

I forgot the tea tree oil. I think this did more to teach my girls not to share brushes with friends tho, they cried at the smell (big babies)

The most important thing is to get every nit off. This is where the phrase nit picking comes from. you have to literally pull them off every single hair and its time consuming and makes you cross eyed. They sell the huge magnifine glass at sewing stores - I got one and used that and I actually cut the hairs out that had nits on them and put them mayo on a paper towel so I could see each hair, put that into a trash bag and took it outside to the can immediately. We kept getting reinfested because i was missing nits (the eggs) and once I figured out how to get them out we were home free and haven't had them since.

Its a horrible thing to go through!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Location: The soon to be Communist State of Mzanzi(formerly known as South Africa)

Youngest daughter has been infected twice at school. Tea tree oil from local health shop massaged gently but thoroughly into her hair at bath time, left for 10 mins and washed out with a good coconut oil shampoo. Then out with the louse comb for 20 minutes. Took two days, but infection gone.

Also remember to have all your kids bedding hot washed -and I mean HOT! Look at steam cleaning the matress and pillows as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wott469 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:07 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicka$$girls View Post

The most important thing is to get every nit off.

The beauty of the conditioner is that it dissolves the glue that holds the egg to the hair shaft. This saves hours and hours of eyestrain!

Once you use the lice comb on the hair that is covered with conditioner the eggs are pretty much gone! Just be sure to rinse the comb after every stroke to avoid redepositing eggs in the hair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:13 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,934 Times in 2,033 Posts

I use mayonaise to suffocate the actual lice, and apple cidar vinegar to loosen the glue on the nits. Then rinse with ACV for 1 weeks after shampooing everyday.

Leave the mayo on 12 hours.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaciRich For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,252 Times in 2,185 Posts

Treat every soft surface they may have come into contact with; bedding, pillows, hats, coats. They can be put inside a garbage bag then put in a freezer overnight, then washed in hottest water possible. Tell your young children NOT to put their hat or scarf on the hook or shelf that they hang their coat on at school- stick them inside a sleeve.

It doesn't matter what kind of $$ shampoo I buy, I always add 3 or 4 drops of tea tree oil to each bottle when I open a new one.

Any treatment should be re-done 10 days later.

Re-iterate to young people...never share hats, or hairbrushes. Just today (high school- grade 10) at work I saw one boy take another's hat and put it on, then pass it around to about 5 other boys, each of whom put it on. I asked them why they would do such a thing and one said, "well, none of us has cooties." In the same class 3 girls were sharing a hairbrush around. Sometimes they do not have a clue about reality...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
Basically, after shampooing the childs head, apply generous amounts of hair conditioner. Comb with a louse comb, rinsing VERY well after each stroke. After combing the childs head, rinse the conditioner out and you are done. This removes both lice and eggs. Repeat daily for 10 days and you are DONE!
This is pretty much what I do, although it only really takes a couple of goes if you do it properly. It takes 2 - 3hrs per head doing in properly, I've also found prevention is better than cure a couple of drops of tea tree oil mixed with water in a spray bottle used every morning does wonders.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitecat View Post
This is pretty much what I do, although it only really takes a couple of goes if you do it properly. It takes 2 - 3hrs per head doing in properly, I've also found prevention is better than cure a couple of drops of tea tree oil mixed with water in a spray bottle used every morning does wonders.
Actually, it took me 15 minutes a day and I never did pick out nits. It STILL got them all: the conditioner worked that well.

This was after every lice remedy that I could find in the stores had failed, and YES I followed the directions carefully, and a few like mayo that I found on line. They all failed even though I got all of the coats and the hats and the bedding and the stuffed toys and sprayed the sofa and everything else I was supposed to do.

*JUST* combing the hair for 10 days with the conditioner in it, rinsing after every stroke, got rid of them all. Every blessed one. And I never picked a nit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,453 Times in 1,670 Posts

daily blowdrying hair thoroughly on HOT usually kills everything without the use of chemicals or any special potions. of course that won't be available if electricity is defunct.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Years ago my daughter repeatedly caught headlice at school, I would get her hair clear and a few days latter she was re-infected[ there was a family of 6 kids in school & they were all crawling with head lice & parents refused to treat them, eventually these poor kids where taken into care].
Thr lice shampoo was not very affective so I turned to alternative methods,
I used aromatherapy oils.
Mix
25 drops of Rosemary oil
12 drops of eucalyptus oil
13 drops of Geranium oil
25 drops of Lavendar oil
Into
75mls of carrier oil [which can be olive oil, pure ground nut oil, grape seed oil, sunflower oil]
not mineral or baby oil.
Massage the mixed oil into the hair and scalp, leave on the head for an hour or so and then shamppo out, rinse head with diluted vinegar.
Using a lice comb, comb the hair in small sections from the scalp to the end, wipe the comb off each time, make sure you comb all the hair paying exta attention at the nape of the neck, behind the ears, and the crown of the head.
Fine comb the hair at least once a day for 10 days, I tried to fine comb my daughters hair first thing in the morning and again when she came in from school.

Please note this treatment should not be used on a pregnant woman or someone who is epileptic.

ther is a product called Repel in the UK which you spray onto clean hair [lice free] it was quite expensive and after checking the ingredients it contained Rosemary, Eucalyptus and Lavendar oil in it, as I already had these oils I decided to put into a New full bottle of shampoo,
6 drops of Rosemary oil
4 drops of Eucalyptus oil
4 drops of Geranium oil
6 drops of Lavendar oil.
Shake the bottle before you use the shampoo and wash hair as normal, sometimes I used shampoo and conditioner combined, other times ordinary shampoo.

Once we started to use the preventer shampoo she never had headlice, even when letters was sent home informing a child in your childs class has headlice.
I also made it a routine to fine comb her hair ever other day, during school term.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ro2935 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 12:36 AM

The method we had to use once was blow drying on HOT, slather in oil, wrap in saran wrap and let it sit. The heat from the hair dryer stuns them so if there's a dry spot where the oil didn't reach, they can't run and hide After that, just comb & ACV.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:57 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Terri View Post
So many kids get them, and, WORSE, now there are lice that are pesticide resistant! When my kids had them I tried just about EVERYTHING, both home remedies and chemical!

Finally, I found a remedy on line that worked very well indeed: hair conditioner!

Hair conditioner dissolves the glue that holds the eggs to the hair shafts, and it also makes the hair shaft too slippery for the louse to hang on to it.

Any louse the child may pick up in their room or whatever will be combed out with the daily conditioning and combing. And, no louse can go many days without feeding and so they will be GONE!!!!!!

This worked when the chemicals did not!
I would think hair conditioner is just as much a chemical as the regular head lice stuff ... I think its called "rit"? I am all for using natural products for daily use but lice is not daily I would go straight to the strong stuff but if conditioner works then it is a good tip for situations where the real lice chemical is not possible. Was it rit that did not work???
Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 550izula View Post
I would think hair conditioner is just as much a chemical as the regular head lice stuff ... I think its called "rit"? I am all for using natural products for daily use but lice is not daily I would go straight to the strong stuff but if conditioner works then it is a good tip for situations where the real lice chemical is not possible. Was it rit that did not work???
Rit (or was it Rid? It was a few years back), nix, and every other thing on the store shelf did not work. Conditioner did.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2012, 01:07 AM
Hiker

Wow... so now we have super lice....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 550izula For This Useful Post: