Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Thanked 1,017 Times in 494 Posts
Default Mustard Greens Seed

Advertise Here

Well, my mustard greens have bolted and have blooming stalks, some over 6' tall. I've been waiting to collect some seed from them but I can't find any. The buds open to little yellow flowers then fall off leaving a bare twig where they were, no seed anywhere.

Anybody know what's going on? Anybody harvested mustard seed before?

One of my turnip plants also bolted, bloomed and there seem to be tiny, flea size seeds on the stalks where the flowers were. I did collect some of these but they're few and pretty small.

So what's the secret for collecting seed from greens?

Rick
Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 PM
Trapper

It should form pods. The pods start as little green pods and are not ready to collect until they are light brown. They will be a good size, usually about 1 1/2 inches to 2 inches long. Don't pick the pods until they have had time to dry out a little bit. I picked some that were still a little green and the seeds were not ready.
The Following User Says Thank You to norcalmom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 03:53 PM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Where do these pods form? Once the blooms fall there's nothing left but the twig they were on.

Rick
Old 02-06-2012, 02:28 AM
Trapper

How long ago did the flower fall off? The pod comes straight off the stem the flower was on. The pod should start developing not too long after the flower falls off. Then it takes awhile for the pod to get big.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Upon futher review.........I looked at some of the earliest stalks where the flowers had been gone a while and low and behold there are little string bean looking pods already about an inch long. I had no idea that's how they formed.

Thanks a million for the info, I would have given up on them.

Rick
The Following User Says Thank You to shootnstarz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Trapper

Yeah, seed pods on brassica look like little bean pods. When I have saved rape seeds in the past, I haev cut the plant when the seed pods were well on the way to drying and hung them. Saves the risk of the seed falling where the plant grew and creating weeds.
The Following User Says Thank You to Borsch Dorks Gorge For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2012, 07:33 AM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Well it's been a month and a half, the mustard plants are still growing strong, some stalks are about 8' tall and are still blooming like mad. There are thousands of green seed pods on each plant.

But, the plants show no signs of dying off, looks like they'll be going for a while. I need to till the area they are in for spring planting so it looks like I wont be getting any seed. The pods are all still bright green although they are big and swollen.

Should I try to dry the pods after I pull up the plants or do you think the seeds are still not mature enough to fool with? I just can't wait any longer for them to die and dry naturally.

Rick