Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM

Question Any owners of Surplus military stoves/heaters?

Advertise Here

I've been looking at a back-up to my back-up.I have a propane heater with a back-up blue flame wall heater.Both run off a 500 gallon tank that normally last a year no problem.
In 10 years I watched propane go from $0.74 to $2.24 a gallon. I was looking at the small surplus military wood/coal stoves to give me fuel options in case propane skyrockets or becomes unavailable.
My heating area is just a 700 sq ft home (yeah I know small but it's a single home for a single guy) I don't need more then 25,000 btu's to keep this place in the 70 degree range because it's well insulated.
Any owners of small wood and coal stoves have any reviews?
The Following User Says Thank You to 45reloader For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 09:08 PM
avoidance & deterrence

Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,071 Posts

The only Military heater that I know enough to talk about is an M-67 you put it in a new clean galvanized trashcan and it can bring the water to a boil, what it is for is dipping you army mess kit in boiling water to sterilize it before use but that can will radiate heat all night at least enough for one room or a tent. plus you car use the boiled water for drinking, brushing teeth any place where you do not have sterile water.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Immers...2301%26ps%3D54
Old 02-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Time to reap has come

Thanked 3,899 Times in 2,008 Posts

We have a large wood stove in our home and we so miss it(not staying there now). It is not small but they have them in all sizes. Our home there, the area has regular electricity outages due to high winds during winter. That sucker would bake you out if you forgot to adjust the vents. Wood heat is the best as it soaks into the bones, literally. Central heat just isnt the same. I have often thought of trying to find a small one as you mentioned for our travel trailer. It is a very small trailer and wouldnt require much. I just have not come across anyone that has attempted that(putting in trailer). My thoughts there is really for use as a possible bug out home someday You never know. I have a small portable wood stove. (no affiliation/showing photo) http://woodcookstove.net/reviews/por...d-stove-review
Have not used it yet. And going by using a large one it wouldnt stay lit during a full night but would work. I was wondering about those long burn logs? Do they really work? Or anyone with experience using these and keeping them going. The wood stoves need vent holes for smoke. And some area's have regulations.
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Newbill View Post
The only Military heater that I know enough to talk about is an M-67 you put it in a new clean galvanized trashcan and it can bring the water to a boil, what it is for is dipping you army mess kit in boiling water to sterilize it before use but that can will radiate heat all night at least enough for one room or a tent. plus you car use the boiled water for drinking, brushing teeth any place where you do not have sterile water.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Immers...2301%26ps%3D54
Sorry for the confusion my system is hot air.