Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > General Discussion Section > General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 02-03-2012, 05:48 PM
Trapper

Default Don't Tread On Me Flag....What does it mean to you?

Advertise Here

I am thinking about putting a flag pole in my yard with the American Flag and maybe the Don't Tread on me flag (rattle snake).

But got to wondering what do you guys think the flag means?
Does it have special meaning to military soldiers?
Who should or shouldn't fly the flag?

What are your thoughts?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,167 Posts

What does it mean to me when I see it?

"Huh. Probably shouldn't **** with this guy."
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to hayes31 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Trapper

I was thinking to me its shows a guy that wants to see America be the country it was designed to be. And dont screw with this guy like you said.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Locked & Loaded

I have the hat, in white not yellow.

To mean it means the person stands and knows their rights under the constitution, and will die to defend them. I sometimes wear my hat, and never get weird looks.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to fuze For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,306 Times in 5,521 Posts

Very sensible advice snakes should be left alone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,935 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhawk-77 View Post
I am thinking about putting a flag pole in my yard with the American Flag and maybe the Don't Tread on me flag (rattle snake).

What are your thoughts?
To me, it means what it says. don't tread on me. It speaks out against governments grown too big to be governed.

it has nothing to do with racism, nothing to do with ethnicity, or religion.

it totally represents a 'getting fed up with the feds' attitude.

in this country, an American is just that.
not African -American, Japanese American, not Native American.

the feds want you, me, all of us, to divide ourselves into those groups because they know a nation divided can not stand.

so don't fall for it.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akita View Post
To me, it means what it says. don't tread on me. It speaks out against governments grown too big to be governed.

it has nothing to do with racism, nothing to do with ethnicity, or religion.

it totally represents a 'getting fed up with the feds' attitude.

in this country, an American is just that.
not African -American, Japanese American, not Native American.

the feds want you, me, all of us, to divide ourselves into those groups because they know a nation divided can not stand.

so don't fall for it.

Well said thank you.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:53 PM

+1 for the above.

For me it means " goverment get the hell out of my life "
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hunts_bear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 07:20 PM
Travel Light

Thanked 1,846 Times in 615 Posts

I think it means you got too much from the t.v. show Jericho....just kidding, I would have no problems flying one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Belifend For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Ná satail orm

Thanked 1,197 Times in 486 Posts

It means the same to me, "We the People" have had it and want our government to follow the Constitution as written.

My 6th Great Grandfather was a Sgt. in the Continental Army and was in from the start all the way to Cornwallis' surrender at Yorktown.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Longshanks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 07:48 PM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 13,942 Times in 4,361 Posts

I do love the Gadsden flag.

However you might not want to turn extra attention to yourself, you might get ratted out as a right-wing threat from some mainline liberals that live in your neighborhood.

The original navy jack seems pretty appropriate for our current times...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM
Stay Alert, Stay Alive

Thanked 5,804 Times in 1,849 Posts

From Wikipedia:
The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike. Positioned below the snake is the legend "DONT TREAD ON ME." The flag was designed by and is named after American general and statesman Christopher Gadsden. It was also used by the Continental Marines as an early motto flag. It was the first flag ever carried into battle by the United States Marine Corps, during the American RevolutionIn fall 1775, the United States Navy was established to intercept incoming British ships carrying war supplies to the British troops in the colonies. To aid in this, the Second Continental Congress authorized the mustering of five companies of Marines to accompany the Navy on their first mission. The first Marines enlisted in the city of Philadelphia, and they carried drums painted yellow, depicting a coiled rattlesnake with thirteen rattles, and the motto "Don't Tread On Me." This is the first recorded mention of the future Gadsden flag's symbolism.

At the Congress, Continental Colonel Christopher Gadsden represented his home state of South Carolina. He was one of seven members of the Marine Committee who were outfitting the first naval mission.[4]

Before the departure of that first mission in December 1775, the newly appointed commander-in-chief of the Navy, Commodore Esek Hopkins, received the yellow rattlesnake flag from Gadsden to serve as the distinctive personal standard of his flagship. It was displayed at the mainmast.[4]

Gadsden also presented a copy of this flag to the Congress of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina in 1776. This was recorded in the South Carolina congressional journals:

Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle in the attitude of going to strike and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"[5]

First battle flag of the US Marines, thats why I rock it.
Attached Thumbnails
250px-Gadsden_flag_svg.png  
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to usmc0331 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,377 Times in 1,438 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc0331 View Post
From Wikipedia:
The Gadsden flag is a historical American flag with a yellow field depicting a rattlesnake coiled and ready to strike. Positioned below the snake is the legend "DONT TREAD ON ME." The flag was designed by and is named after American general and statesman Christopher Gadsden. It was also used by the Continental Marines as an early motto flag. It was the first flag ever carried into battle by the United States Marine Corps, during the American RevolutionIn fall 1775, the United States Navy was established to intercept incoming British ships carrying war supplies to the British troops in the colonies. To aid in this, the Second Continental Congress authorized the mustering of five companies of Marines to accompany the Navy on their first mission. The first Marines enlisted in the city of Philadelphia, and they carried drums painted yellow, depicting a coiled rattlesnake with thirteen rattles, and the motto "Don't Tread On Me." This is the first recorded mention of the future Gadsden flag's symbolism.

At the Congress, Continental Colonel Christopher Gadsden represented his home state of South Carolina. He was one of seven members of the Marine Committee who were outfitting the first naval mission.[4]

Before the departure of that first mission in December 1775, the newly appointed commander-in-chief of the Navy, Commodore Esek Hopkins, received the yellow rattlesnake flag from Gadsden to serve as the distinctive personal standard of his flagship. It was displayed at the mainmast.[4]

Gadsden also presented a copy of this flag to the Congress of South Carolina in Charleston, South Carolina in 1776. This was recorded in the South Carolina congressional journals:

Col. Gadsden presented to the Congress an elegant standard, such as is to be used by the commander in chief of the American navy; being a yellow field, with a lively representation of a rattle-snake in the middle in the attitude of going to strike and these words underneath, "Don't Tread on Me!"[5]

First battle flag of the US Marines, thats why I rock it.
So, thats what Wiki says about it. What do YOU say about it besides it being the first flag of the Corps?

Akita did a pretty good job of putting my thoughts into words. Scary.

I will also add that it has been unofficially adopted by militia units all over the country so escapefromNY makes a pretty good point, you may get a some attention from both sides of the line. Some may want to run you out of the neighborhood, others may be willing to stand by your side to run the libs out of the neighborhood.

Personally I dont have one, yet. But then again I dont have a flag pole, yet.
If I ever do put up a pole you can bet I will have all 3 flying high.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,756 Times in 3,214 Posts

To me it means the same as most of the above, a belief in what this country stood for at the time of it's founding.

But as a Navy Vet who served during 1976, It has an extra meaning to me. The straight snake version was flown as the Jack on all U.S. Navy ships to commemorate the Bi-Centennial.

The Jack is flown from a flag pole on the forecastle of the ship (pointy end), while a standard U.S. Flag is flown from the Fantail (square end).

Also I hear that the same jack is being flown from all Navy Ships until the end of the War on Terror.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:33 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,256 Times in 4,904 Posts

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
The flag of which you speak is a Naval Ensign used by the American Navy in the Early days of our nation and throughout the Revolution.

It is called the Gadsden Flag:

http://www.gadsden.info/Christopher.html

TEA Party Activists have adopted the flag because of the message "Don't Tread On ME".:

http://www.gadsden.info/Christopher.html

Personally being a Texan I am a big fan of the Gonzalez FLag:

http://www.galleryoftherepublic.com/...s/gonzales.htm

The slogan on that flag is "Come and Take It" which has roots going as far back as the battle of Thermopylae in Greece in the first Century BC when the Persians told them to lay down surrender their arms and they would not be harmed and they replied "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" which translated into English is "Come and Take them"....This slogan was also repeated in English at Lexington and Concord when the British came to confiscate Colonial Arms.

I fly my Gonzales Flag on March 2 (Texas Independence Day) to honor the day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Learner

Thanked 2,823 Times in 1,318 Posts

Gadsden flag was the battle flag for the first US marines in the Revolutionary war. It is also the flag that people have linked with the Tea Party, as many members use it. It is a good "rally sign" if that is what you are looking for. People will flock to it, or you will be receiving many TP visits depending on your neighborhood.

While I love it, I would not personally fly it now. I would put it up if things went bad and people were looking for a "safe house" in a fight.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackrorabbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 03:48 AM
I love this forum

It means enough to me that its tattood on my left arm! I proudly fly an American flag with a Gadsden flag underneath it in my front yard.

Dear government- Leave me the hell alone. I dont need you or anybody else to hold my hand, I dont need you or anybody else to tell me how to live my life.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:08 AM
Mad Man with a Box

Location: East & West TX. Somewhere between Beaumont and El Paso
Thanked 6,942 Times in 2,697 Posts

I'm partial more to a porcupine than a snake. Step on a snake, you only get bit. Step on a porcupine, your leg is shredded.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:44 AM
Trapper

Thank you everyone. I am so glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks those two flags mean a lot.

I agree with you escapefromNY it might draw some unwanted attention if I fly it now. I will have to pray about it and make sure it is the right thing to do. I'm sure all of us know there are things you have to stand up for even if you know before hand you will be standing alone. I (like most of us here) think America is one of those things worth standing up for.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warhawk-77 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Thirteenther

Thanked 37,573 Times in 9,267 Posts

Quote:

What are your thoughts?
Please don't take this the wrong way, but your entire mindset is backward.

If you are going to adopt an emblem, you should know what it means to the people who designed it and use it. You are joining THEIR group, not the other way around. What it "means to me," is worthless.

I see people do this all the time with everything from corporate logos and national emblems to scripture. Moral equivalence and moral relativism are so pervasive that people refuse to understand that in joining a group or holding one position, they do so to the exclusion of other, incompatible ones. It is the ultimate immature Peter-Pan-ism.

The coiled snake on the Gadsden Flag is a warning to those who would seek to restrict our individual natural law rights that we will respond incongruently and violently. We, like the snake, are naturally equipped to do disproportionate and permanent damage to even a much larger oppressos. If that is not what the flag "means to you," then take it down and stop misrepresenting the rest of us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post: