Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Default Fixed blade concealed carry?

Advertise Here

I was wondering if anyone carries there fixed blade concealed, such as shoulder rig or inside pant sheath. I have a bencmade nimravus, its light and fairly slim. Just looking for a good carry option. Pics and links appreciated. Thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,602 Times in 1,274 Posts

In most states carrying a fixed blade knife over 4 or 5 inches is a felony. There is no concealed carry permit for this. One thing we were taught was to never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:06 PM
Target Shooter

When I want to conceal my Buck nighthawk I use this sheath I had made. It, my XD and 2 extra mags hide under my leather without a problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 911JB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Thru-Hiker

I'm just curious, why do you want to carry a concealed fixed blade as opposed to a folder? This is an honest question, I just want to know what kinds of uses that a fixed blade might give that a folder doesn't in the urban environment.

Myself, I won't carry a concealed fixed blade as I live in California where it's illegal regardless of blade length. I'm assuming that you either live where it's legal or are willing to take the risk of jail time.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:41 PM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,814 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
I'm just curious, why do you want to carry a concealed fixed blade as opposed to a folder? This is an honest question, I just want to know what kinds of uses that a fixed blade might give that a folder doesn't in the urban environment.

Myself, I won't carry a concealed fixed blade as I live in California where it's illegal regardless of blade length. I'm assuming that you either live where it's legal or are willing to take the risk of jail time.
Well you don't have to worry about deploying the blade of a fixed blade- it's always ready to go. Fixed blades are generally more durable, and I love the ease of one-handed use of a fixed blade.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:

I have a permit to carry dangerous weapons. I can carry anything that I can own, either concealed or in the open. I chose to carry concealed to keep the sheeple from freaking out at the sight of me and my "tools"
I chose a fixed straight blade over a folder because it is much stronger. I have broken quite a few folders before I started carrying this buck. My knife is a tool and gets used as such. It is also much faster to beploy, should I need it in a hurry. I also prefer the longer 9 inch blade over the shorter blades of a folder.
The Following User Says Thank You to 911JB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 PM
The Slingdart Master

You could give a Merc-Harness a try.

http://www.moderncombativesystems.co...ercharness.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LOADEDFIST For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,928 Times in 12,710 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:

The California legislature is "illegal" for enforcing their "illegal" laws against a free people. You have the right to keep and bear arms PERIOD!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 02:25 AM
I survive on Hate.

I carry a cold steel push knife on my boot.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,248 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
The California legislature is "illegal" for enforcing their "illegal" laws against a free people. You have the right to keep and bear arms PERIOD!!
Horse piddle!

It was voted and passed in house therefore legal--If you don't care for the legislation then protest it via groups like the NRA, RKBA, JPFO, GOA, etc...If you live there there then either become an outlaw, grin and bear it or effing move.

The 2nd Amendment does not cover knives! You got a problem with that then join AKTI or KnifeRights.org for action against stupid knife laws such as when they lately successfully defeated the US Custom claim of AO knives being switchblades.

Then you had better be starting to harp against Mass, D.C., Chicago, San Francisco etc who have basically told SCOTUS to go screw themselves.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckcoyote View Post
I was wondering if anyone carries there fixed blade concealed, such as shoulder rig or inside pant sheath. I have a bencmade nimravus, its light and fairly slim. Just looking for a good carry option. Pics and links appreciated. Thanks!
Wear your sheath--folder or fixes on you belt under your jacket or long shirt tail and it is now considered concealed and may therefore be considered an arrestable offense.

SOG and CRKT both had shoulder systems available for some of their knives as does Bob Dozier with his New York Special.

Any competent saddle, holster or harness maker or leather worker can make you some sort of rig.

Just make sure you have the right to do so otherwise have a lawyer on speed dial.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:44 AM

If i'm going to need a blade i prefer a fixed blade. And if it ever came down to using it I would have to say better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

If i'm drawing a concealed knife to save my life, least of my worries is the legalities. Also I think a folder with a four and half , five inch blade would be just as bulky as a fixed blade, espescialy if you have a good rig.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:52 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 5,865 Times in 2,172 Posts

In my state, we have a weapons license. It allows carry of guns and knives, open or concealed.

Some municipalities have found a loophole in the law that allows them to regulate knives under 5" in length and not get into trouble with state preemption. So when there, I just carry my sword cane. It's way over 5".

Az
Old 02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,685 Times in 1,835 Posts

I carry my fixed blade inside my backpack. Its on the botttom. I might use it in an emergency.

Currently I have a Mora. I might pit my EESE-5 in there.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Hiker

Michigan says no to double edged fixed, 3" folder is fine if without intent to commit a crime,a larger knife if it's used for hunting,then the cities get into the act of knife laws. Some cities like Centerline and Dearbon say no knife at all of any kind.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,715 Times in 1,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinnan Barrett View Post
In most states carrying a fixed blade knife over 4 or 5 inches is a felony. There is no concealed carry permit for this. ,,,
Much too broad a generalization. All depends on the state.

It's not even illegal in your own state, up to 5.5 inches for any knife, I believe.

TN, 4" is magic number, folder/fixed concealed/open doesn't matter.

A number of states allow carry of any length blade with a weapons permit.

Many, if not most, states where where what you say is indeed illegal, it is a misdemeanor, not a felony.

- OS
Old 02-04-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

i don't even bother to conceal a knife as i just use it round the farm and its a fixed blade

if ima rock a weapon to fight with its going to be a firearm
Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckcoyote View Post
If i'm going to need a blade i prefer a fixed blade. And if it ever came down to using it I would have to say better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

If i'm drawing a concealed knife to save my life, least of my worries is the legalities. Also I think a folder with a four and half , five inch blade would be just as bulky as a fixed blade, espescialy if you have a good rig.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Depending on the fixed and on the folder but both take almost the same time to deploy--look at some of the AO by SOG or CRKT or the Emerson Hook models are bloody fast...Reach in, grasp, pull out hand engaging stud as you exit the pocket or hooking the blade indent on your pant pocket and flicking a wrist vs. reaching, unsnapping the restraing strap(s) or pushing on the Kydex release and removing in a large arc the knife..

As a fellow Canadian, it is illegal to carry a knife for self defense as that is an admission of intent to harm...I use mine to open letters, cut srting and use it to cut food in a fast food joint that only supply you with plastic utensils--I also have a fork, a large and and a small spoon in a leather sheath to go with it.

It isn't the judged by twelve that's the hassle but the possiblility of being arrested for an illegal weapon, a weapon contrary to the public good, concealed, that can put your sorry ass behind bars, fined, legal fees and with a criminal record...Just like having a switchblade on your table when Le Flics come by to ask you questions about the break in at your neighbours...Guess what, you get arresrted for an illegal weapon...Or go into a bar and pass the metal detector, manned by a cop, your pocket knife is A-Ok (stored at the bar) but your sheathed concealed knife gets you a night in jail.

Remember that Canadian laws differ greatly from the USA and laws between states are seldom the same.

A four inch folder will be about four inches closed..a four inch fixed blade will be between eight to nine inches OAL.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:22 AM
RINO

Thanked 2,049 Times in 880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911JB View Post
When I want to conceal my Buck nighthawk I use this sheath I had made. It, my XD and 2 extra mags hide under my leather without a problem.

what about sitting down? thats where i usually have a problem with my conceal carry - you might get a glimpse of the barrel at certain angles.

i have been trying to devise a way to CC a kabar, and thought about how you have your knife positioned. but again, my concern is shirt bulging if i were sitting down.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:32 AM

I go neck knife with a SOG mini pentagon or other options as it's basically a boot knife, Becker BK14 Eskabar I have a kydex I use on my neck or leather for belt carry.