Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 02-02-2012, 01:05 PM

Default Scorpion venom. Non-Lethal?

Advertise Here

I'm heading out to Trona, California for camping. Is it true that scorpions, that are native to the U.S., are non-lethal?
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Prepared

i am not an expert, I have heard it is like a bee or wasp sting. As long as you do not have an allergic reaction, it should be non lethal. Someone will correct if I am wrong.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,309 Times in 1,534 Posts

Painful but not lethal unless you are alergic.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,312 Times in 2,023 Posts

I've had two that I know of. Granted they were just little woods scorpions here in Georgia, but other than hurt like heck, no big deal.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:47 PM

Trona mutant ville I used to deliver pallets to that mineral plant down there. and whats the deal with all the military out there. Very much like a bee sting
Old 02-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Thanks guys. I've been stung by wasps and bees, so I'm pretty sure I'm okay.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Beginner's Mind

Thanked 2,880 Times in 996 Posts

Same here, just like a wasp sting.
The Following User Says Thank You to jungatheart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 03:45 PM

Bark Scorpions can be pretty bad! I'm not entirely sure if they have them in Cali, but you might want to check up on that or at least be able to identify them.

decent bit on scorpions: http://www.scorpsweep.com/facts.html
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 03:47 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 4,498 Times in 1,741 Posts

Just check your shoes if you leave them out! That's a crappy way to wake up in the morning...

Az
The Following User Says Thank You to azb For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 05:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 7,312 Times in 2,023 Posts

I would worry more about snakes, black widow and brown recluse spiders than I would scorpions.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:48 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,691 Times in 2,278 Posts

As I understand it , the Arizona Bark Scorpion ( Centruroides Sculpturatas) is the only deadly scorpion present in the US. Both it's common and scientific names have changed over the years. Sometimes it is referred to the "sculptured scorpion." It's really only deadly to very young children ( under 7 y.o.) and infirm elderly folks. TP
Attached Thumbnails
abscorpsnow214a.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to Texas Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rxjohn View Post
Trona mutant ville I used to deliver pallets to that mineral plant down there. and whats the deal with all the military out there.

The only thing I like about Trona is that when I see the sign for the turn-off to Trona on hwy 395 it means that I'm almost at the southern end of the Sierras.

There's a lot of military there because it is right near a large base, the Naval Air Weapons Station at China Lake.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
Recent Blog:
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 4,680 Times in 2,002 Posts

Centruroides sculpturatus.

This is the only medically significant scorpion in the U.S.

The quickest way to know if it's dangerous variety of scorpion is to look at the pincers. Very thin pincers, keep away. And YES, the Arizona bark scorpion (C. sculpturatus) lives in S.E. CA. I don't know about Trona.
Attached Thumbnails
images.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Preparing since 1972

Thanked 4,563 Times in 2,164 Posts

Also killer bees out there............
Old 03-27-2012, 02:39 AM

We used to go to Death Valley and it would rain when we went. The last time we went to Trona the entire town was "tinted" including the surrounding area by the mineral processing there. If I remember it was a little pink but it's been a while since we moved up here from L.A. I wonder if scorpions could even live in that climate unless it's been cleaned up since we last drove through.
The Following User Says Thank You to MiddleWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Default Do not worry about the bark scorpion

As others have mentioned already, the bark scorpion in the southwestern United States is our most venomous scorpion, yet unless allergic, it is not capable of killing a healthy adult.
Luckily, they are not very aggressive. Only 2 deaths in AZ are attributed to the bark scorpion since 1968. Does it hurt if you do get bit? YES. Do not get bit. It's venom impact on a healthy adult is on the same level as being bit by a black widow.Not the same venom type at all, just same level of pain and other symtoms over the course of @50 hours to maybe a max of 72.
I have been envenomated by a black widow as a older child, age 8 or 9. Hurt like hell and made me sick like a bad case of the flu minus coughing and sinus issues. Nausea, pain, soreness, and eletricity type flashes.
I have been envenomated by various scorpions as well. There are deadly scorpions in the world, be thankful we do not have them. Seems like the smaller the speies of scorpion, the more deadly it is and vias versa, the larger the species the more harmless it is. The most deady scorpion I know of is a toss up between the Egyptian death stalker closely followed by the fat tailed. Both live in upper africa and Middle East. The most harmless is the Hollywood movies favorite, the enormous emporer scorpionwith both huge claws and huge stinger.
I have handled literally 100's of emporer scorpions. They are non-aggressive and if stung, feels like a pin-prick with a bit of brief burning sensation, but nowhere near as much as our common honey bee nor even close to our wasps nor hornets.
I work with exotic and wild animals as a profession and as a life long hobby. I do wildlife shows using live animals for educational and entertaining presentations/shows. I grew up in rural southern Maryland/South Carolina much like Huckleberry Finn. So that explains why I have so much experience on being bittten, stung, kicked, scratched, and kicked by any random member of virtually any species you can think of over 40 years .
Black widows, scorpions, sting rays, scorpion fish, stonefish, and various mildly venomous snake species to name a few of my past envenomations. The list of other injuries would take much space up here .
TIPS : Check boots/footwear before donning them will take care of most common way to get scorpion aggresion. Careful turning over rocks, hand placemnent while climbing will take care of almost the other 100% of injury possibility. But in the desert, that same tip also applies to rattlesnakes which most SHOULD already know.

By the way, I am still fairly new to here. I read the boards daily, have learned alot, and as a teacher, wished I could have more prepping experience, more firearm tips, and more anything to add but.....you guys have me beat on all that. However, I can help with any animal ( not plant! No mushroom hunter here, nor edible plant xpert at least compared to those already on here ) question, concern, or other natural history questions. Also any questions on management and training of captive wild and exotic animals.
I would like to use my expertise to help but since this is a prepper/survivalist site, I do realize my expertise may be of little use. Looking forward to what little help I can give though!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Crochunter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 11:46 AM

Default Sorry for the above wall of text

The bark scorpion does not range into California. Similar relatives of the bark scorpion do occur in Ca but they are not dangerous. So you will be fine. I am a former CA resident, university graduate from Humboldt with degrees in wildlife management, education, and zoology. Part of my course work was desert ecology which included field trips. I have thus, been stung by most every species of scorpion in CA.
Er, thats due to me catching them and performing highy irregular research on myself :P. No harm was ever done to any scorpion though. Just me. Ask me sometime about my ending an arguement over toxicity and symptoms of a tarantula bite.
Once again, the infamous and dangerous bark scorpion does not range into CA...normally. Unless someone kept some and released them.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:37 PM

Default Slow day today?

I hope my "wall of text" helped your peace of mind regarding camping in California.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,100 Times in 2,153 Posts

Non-lethal doesn't mean you won't hurt so bad you wish you'd died. The only potentially lethal scorpion in the US is the Bark Scorpion. Not quite as poisonous as a Black Widow (which loves to live around Trona) and only lethal to pets, the very young and the immunocompromised. Thousands of people stung every year, yet deaths are extremely rare even without treatment. Fortunately it does not live near Trona. It prefers the hotter Sonoran Desert down south.

Around Trona the most lethal critter is the Mojave Green Rattlesnake. One of the most poisonous snakes in the world, it combines the standard rattlesnake venom with a neurotoxin and is ten times more lethal than the same amount of ordinary rattlesnake venom. Untreated bites are often fatal. CroFab antivenom is the ONLY way to go .
Old 03-28-2012, 10:41 PM
Hunter

the ghost of charlie is running wild out there !