Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Pistol and Revolver Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-25-2012, 09:16 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,822 Times in 838 Posts
Default Why single action revolvers?

Advertise Here

Im trying to understand if there is any advantage to single action revolvers as opposed to single action/ double action. Im sure someone here knows.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:26 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 26,427 Times in 10,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ammit View Post
Im trying to understand if there is any advantage to single action revolvers as opposed to single action/ double action. Im sure someone here knows.
personal preference for example a ruger single six is a 22lr pistol that comes with extra cylinders to convert it to 22mag its real accurate simple to operate and clean does not jam and is a trappers good friend

but i have seen some SA guys draw and shoot there pistol faster than you could unholster the newest baddest pistol

the only advantage DA has is that if the round is chambered you don't need the hammer cocked to shoot where after first shot its SA

i prefer to shoot my ruger SA because its more accurate the trigger pull is lighter and and there is less take up i do not like DA only guns like the ruger LCR
Old 01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,588 Times in 2,711 Posts

If you have to ask.....

I have 2 single actions now. I will grab them first when going shooting. The Ruger Single Six is perfection. My Blackhawk convertible is like an extension of my hand. Very very accurate, great ergonomics.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KaBar67 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 10:01 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,523 Posts

Had a couple old 3 screw Rugers out west. Just love the feel of the older single actions. Of course slower to reload but in the right hands just as fast to shoot as a double action.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to papajoscochise For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,445 Times in 1,099 Posts

They also tend to be stronger actions than many DA counterparts. This begins to tell when your favorite slick shooting DA starts to work loose after running too many heavy loads through.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sandline For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,618 Times in 651 Posts

Sandline has a good point.

not having the whole cylinder pivot in and out does take away one weak point on a revolver.

Since the cylinder never moves off it's axis. It will stay properly aligned which does help with accuracy as well.

But apart from that ,they're just nice guns to shoot and handle. Doesn't mean my CCW is a Single action though.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to controlledpress For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 08:03 AM

The reason I own a single action is because it was a gift from my dad. I don't know if I would have personally bought one, but it's fun to shoot.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:18 AM

I think its mostly personnal preference...
Alot of what everyone here has said is very true, at least for me...

I can draw my Ruger Vaquero faster than I can a "boxy" pistol...
The sights are "primitive" by some folks opinion, but for me, they line
up effertlessly, and I'm deadly accurate with them...
Mr. Colt was a genius, because the grips just fit my hands perfectly.
That being said, if I had to rely on just one pistol for my side arm for the
rest of my life... Well Single Action pistols are very solid, and buildt to last.
There isn't as much to break or go wrong, and what might, well you can generally fix on your own. Perhaps thats why there are so many SA Revolvers around from the 1800's, but how man 30 year old Sigs and Glocks do you see?

I'm not knocking newer pistols, I have several and love them too, but
if I have to abandon my home, the 9mm's are being left behind, and the Vaqueros are coming with me!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SquattinDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 95,247 Times in 31,453 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Other than my black powder revolvers, I've only ever had one single action. A ruger super Blackhawk. I sold it, though I wish I hadn't. I have never liked the balance or feel of a single action. It had a better trigger than my Redhawk though. And I only shoot the Redhawk in single action, so the double action part is meaningless to me.

What I wish is that someone would make a fine single action with the aspects of a double action. Swing out cylinder, grip underneath it like it belongs, instead of sticking out the back, etc. Until then, I'll just keep shooting my double action in single action mode.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 8,229 Times in 714 Posts

Apart from maybe a tompson contender, I dout there would be a more rugedly made relable stronger pistol than the ruger single actions. If/when there is a EOTWAWKI advent a single action ruger would be the repeating pistol that lasts better than anything else. The one big disadvantage a single action has over a double action is its slow to reload, apart from that, I cant see why any one wouldnt want to own one.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,235 Times in 735 Posts

All the responses here seem to be from revolver people, so as a revolver fan but a 1911 true hardcore, I'll take a bit of a different stance.

When you have double action you have to have the all the internal workings of both a single action and a double action pistol. That is to say, more mechanisms. In single action, the trigger of the gun is substantially simpler. That is to say, there is not as much needed for operation. This is why for long range pistol shooting you rarely see double action, but if you do, they are cocking the hammer. Why? The pull (the weight required to get the gun to fire), is A) much much longer and B) much heavier. Some claim, why not have the "best of both worlds" but the harsh truth I have come to find is that even in VERY high level DA pistols, the break is NEVER as clean as with a SA pistol. (In pull you have draw which is time before you come to break, and break is when the hammer or striker is released.)

I LOVE my HK45C, its a top of the line hammer fired dual action pistol. That said, even in SA, while the draw is clean the break isn't ANYWHERE close to my Ed Brown or Colt GC. one might ask, what is the difference, but a huge amount of issues with shooting pistols and rifles for that matter come from trigger break. The cleaner it is, the better you are going to shoot. Clean trigger break means once I have taken up "draw" I can predict, again and again, the "Break". If it's fuzzy, it decreases your accuracy. You learn to "trust" the break.

That said, same thing applies on a revolver. It's all about trigger, I admit I don't like Glocks, that said, almost everyone that competes with them has to have a "Trigger Job" altering the break and pull.

If you want me to get into dummy drills, that will expose various trigger issues, I am glad to do so.
The Following User Says Thank You to BurntEyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 03:12 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,248 Times in 3,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquattinDog View Post
Perhaps thats why there are so many SA Revolvers around from the 1800's, but how man 30 year old Sigs and Glocks do you see?
Glocks and SIGs maybe not but the pre WW1 guns of Mauser, Walther, Luger, 1903/1911 JMB and other designers are all still in great working order and are over 100 years old...Borchardt pistols were made in 1893 and will still work fine if you can find ammo for it!.

Colt, S&W, Remington SA cartridge revolvers have only about 20 to 25 years on the semis -- 1876 for the SAA but even back then they were going for DA revolvers.

Ammit -- The one nice thing about the frame of the single action is that it will "roll" will the recoil due to the shape of the grip...makes felt recoil seem like a lot less.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Prepared

Because they're fun to shoot!
Old 01-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Love My Husky/Samoyed

Thanked 13,537 Times in 4,846 Posts
Lightbulb

Because there are Fudds. That's the only "Practical" Reason.
Old 01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
Hiker

The single action grip disperses recoil better than any other type of handgun. The 'plow handle' style grip allows the muzzle to come up further and the gun to rotate in your grip so that perceived recoil is lessened greatly.

In the '80's and early '90's I put a little over 35,000 rounds through 6 different S&W model 29's. From the late '70's to date I've put over 300,000 rounds through about 4 dozen Single Action revolvers. That is all because the single action is so much more comfortable to shoot with very heavy hunting loads through and I was always a pistol hunter first and my loads relatively heavy. During those years I replaced the hand of the Smiths about every 3K rounds as they would wear down with the shooting where the single actions never required anything more than a good cleaning, I can say I have never had to replace any parts of a single action though I will admit most of them were Rugers. Once I didn't keep a ejector housing rod tight enough and lost it in recoil and had to get a replacement, but it didn't break as it was my own fault.

It may be a bit slower to reload but with a fairly heavy load a single action is no slower to shoot than a double action. And with practice and ESPECIALLY if you are left handed a single action can be reloaded much quicker than one would think. As a left handed shooter the gun never leaves my left hand. My thumb flips the loading gate open and my left index finger starts rotating the cylinder as the right hand starts running the ejector rod. 6 empties are out in not much over a second. My left index finger continues to rotate the cylinder as my right hand starts dropping loaded cartridges into the cylinder and wipes the loading gate closed and I'm ready to go. It is very quick all togather and very surprising to a few shooting friends who are also State Patrolmen and are used to semi auto's only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekHer View Post
Colt, S&W, Remington SA cartridge revolvers have only about 20 to 25 years on the semis -- 1876 for the SAA but even back then they were going for DA revolvers
In 1837 Samuel Colt invented the world's first practical multiple-shot revolver, the "Paterson Revolver". In 1873 the Colt 'Peacemaker' was introduced with a metalic cartridge.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 44 Flattop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM
Prepared

Because you watched a lot of westerns as a kid and cowboys are cool.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Icculus For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 02:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 Flattop View Post
The single action grip disperses recoil better than any other type of handgun. The 'plow handle' style grip allows the muzzle to come up further and the gun to rotate in your grip so that perceived recoil is lessened greatly.

In the '80's and early '90's I put a little over 35,000 rounds through 6 different S&W model 29's. From the late '70's to date I've put over 300,000 rounds through about 4 dozen Single Action revolvers. That is all because the single action is so much more comfortable to shoot with very heavy hunting loads through and I was always a pistol hunter first and my loads relatively heavy. During those years I replaced the hand of the Smiths about every 3K rounds as they would wear down with the shooting where the single actions never required anything more than a good cleaning, I can say I have never had to replace any parts of a single action though I will admit most of them were Rugers. Once I didn't keep a ejector housing rod tight enough and lost it in recoil and had to get a replacement, but it didn't break as it was my own fault.

It may be a bit slower to reload but with a fairly heavy load a single action is no slower to shoot than a double action. And with practice and ESPECIALLY if you are left handed a single action can be reloaded much quicker than one would think. As a left handed shooter the gun never leaves my left hand. My thumb flips the loading gate open and my left index finger starts rotating the cylinder as the right hand starts running the ejector rod. 6 empties are out in not much over a second. My left index finger continues to rotate the cylinder as my right hand starts dropping loaded cartridges into the cylinder and wipes the loading gate closed and I'm ready to go. It is very quick all togather and very surprising to a few shooting friends who are also State Patrolmen and are used to semi auto's only.

In 1837 Samuel Colt invented the world's first practical multiple-shot revolver, the "Paterson Revolver". In 1873 the Colt 'Peacemaker' was introduced with a metalic cartridge.

As I lefty I can speak for the validity of the easy reload for a single action! It's one of the reasons I like them so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larryp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 03:02 PM
Old Soldier

Thanked 9,600 Times in 3,235 Posts

I have more than a few single action revolvers, ranging from 22LR to 44 magnum; Rugers, Colt clones, others.
I like old time firearms and really enjoy my single shot shotguns and rifles, lever action rifles and side X side double barrel shotguns.
Are they the best for gunfights? No.
Do they make me smile? Yes!
The Following User Says Thank You to rice paddy daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,822 Times in 838 Posts

The trigger break I had never heard of. Thank yall for the education. I see a revolver coming at some point.(after probably a sxs if I can find one for a good price). I was confused why anyone would prefer it to DA but trigger is huge and on larger calibre the felt recoil makes me lean in that direction. I just about picked up a super blackhawk but got a mark III so I can train my wife when shes ready. Also I really like it, and the price I got.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
Warrior Trying tobe Civil

Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,152 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 Flattop View Post
~snip~It may be a bit slower to reload but with a fairly heavy load a single action is no slower to shoot than a double action. And with practice and ESPECIALLY if you are left handed a single action can be reloaded much quicker than one would think. As a left handed shooter the gun never leaves my left hand. My thumb flips the loading gate open and my left index finger starts rotating the cylinder as the right hand starts running the ejector rod. 6 empties are out in not much over a second. My left index finger continues to rotate the cylinder as my right hand starts dropping loaded cartridges into the cylinder and wipes the loading gate closed and I'm ready to go. It is very quick all togather and very surprising to a few shooting friends who are also State Patrolmen and are used to semi auto's only. ~snip~
Flattop, how do you handle one handed reloads (...and, that's not a loaded question)?

Best Regards......Eagle Six
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Six For This Useful Post: