Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 04-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,754 Times in 8,989 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Just a quick word on asking the Doc questions..... If it's something your own doctor won't help you with, don't ask this Doctor too.

The Doctor is kind enough to be here and is willing to help answer some of our survival related health questions, he's is not here to answer stuff that may get him in trouble or cost him his license.
Old 04-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Thanks, jfountain2. My information is just that, for information only. Everyone's different. Ask your doctor before taking anyone else's advice. They know your history, and there's a reason (no, not just money) they like to see you. Many a time someone's described something over the phone and my first impression doesn't match my final diagnosis and suggestions after seeing them.

And then there's side effects, complications, don't get me started.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 03:07 PM

I have a new post on tick bites today. The sooner you can get them off "properly" the less risk of disease.

Also, many have a tick related disease and have no clue they were ever bitten by a tick. I give some clues on suspecting it's tick related.

http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/2012/04/24/tick-bites/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 09:13 PM

Dr.
Would you be able to recommend a physician in the MD/DC area that shares our views on preparedness? If not, might you have a suggestion on how to begin a search for one? The last couple trips to my children's pediatrician have been more like probing interviews on our lifestyle rather than medical examinations.
A.C. Burke
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 AM

Sorry, acburke.

i don't know the doctor community in that area. I know there are other docs in this forum, but I don't know where they live.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:08 PM

Without my glasses everything's a big blur. If I lost or broke them without a spare, I'd be legally blind. In my new video I show how to make a workable pair out of duct tape and tell why they actually work. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/201...-tape-glasses/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyman View Post
I'm putting together a suture kit and would like to include a hypodermic needle and some lidocaine. The problem is that I can't get lidocaine w/out a script. Any suggestions? cheers
First, I would like to say Welcome and Thank You Doc! I do so appreciate you taking the time to try and help us 'civilians'!!! hahahaha

I have had some personal experience with topical Lidocaine, both jel and ointment (not for sutures yet thank goodness) I prefer the ointment because it is 5%, the jel is only 2%. This works great and wouldn't be without it.

I also have injectable Lidocaine (Xylocaine) but wouldn't even consider using it unless I had no other choice, if you do get some, please be sure you learn how to administer it, cause yes, it can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Dr. Bones has a very good video on suturing using the injectable (I would definately use the topical first!)

OuiDlQUtlmJJfsyg&index=8&feature=plcp

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy also have alot of helpful information on their site:
http://www.doomandbloom.net/

Lidocaine is available online without a prescription, take your pick:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Lidocai...tion&src=ie9tr

Can't say I've seen Xanax online cause I never looked for it but simular drugs may be available without a prescription, ask your Doctor what might be an acceptable alternative that she could possibly take.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beaniemaster2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2012, 06:17 AM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,754 Times in 8,989 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Hey Doc, great video you emailed out this morning...... could have used it three weeks ago when I ended up going to my optometrist to get my eye fixed. I had gotten a piece of something in my eye and couldn't get it out. It ended up blocking a tear duct and causing an infection. The eye doc gave me some antibiotics and a steriod eye drop, about a week later I was back to normal. Your video almost makes me want to get something else in my eye to see if I can fix it myself..... ALMOST....
Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM

Almost is right, jfountain. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM

jfountain2 was referring to my new post and video on how to get something out of your eye, even if you can't see it. http://bit.ly/K0yyKs
Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM
Right Wing Nut Job.

Great site Doc, keep up the good work.
The Following User Says Thank You to AmmoRx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2012, 09:19 PM

Default expired Albuterol?

Someone pointed me in your direction....

Okay, my 12-year old has asthma and uses Albuterol from time to time when she has issues... today I had an older gentleman give me a box of 120 vials of albuterol sulfate (the type you put in a nebulizer).

Just one problem (well, two if you consider what he did being illegal)... but the vials are 5 years past the expiration date. Should I just dump this stuff or store it in the fridge in a major emergency situation? I'm just think, God forbid... the world goes to hell and we have nothing for her, I could break this out to just see if it can help.

Thoughts?

BTW: They are still sealed in the original thick packaging, 160 total. I opened one package (of 5) and it was as clear as water just like what she uses now.

Thanks!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Shhh!! what was that!!

Hey DOC i'm starting my advance med kit and was wondering for a IV set if a
2.5% Dextrose & 0.45% Sodium Chloride Injection USP 500mg bag would be something good to use. There is many IV bags out there and i was wondering what would a good al around IV bag.

Yes i have been trained to give IV's and i have given a couple of IV's to people. Just was wondering on the whole bag solution deal.

Thank you
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,727 Times in 1,787 Posts

Now this could be a handy thread, glad I found it..
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno of the Sith View Post
Someone pointed me in your direction....

Okay, my 12-year old has asthma and uses Albuterol from time to time when she has issues... today I had an older gentleman give me a box of 120 vials of albuterol sulfate (the type you put in a nebulizer).

Just one problem (well, two if you consider what he did being illegal)... but the vials are 5 years past the expiration date. Should I just dump this stuff or store it in the fridge in a major emergency situation? I'm just think, God forbid... the world goes to hell and we have nothing for her, I could break this out to just see if it can help.

Thoughts?
BTW: They are still sealed in the original thick packaging, 160 total. I opened one package (of 5) and it was as clear as water just like what she uses now.

Thanks!
It would be as a last case, desperation situation. Liquid doesn't store as well as solid meds and five years past expiration is a long time. If I were you, I'd not depend on it. Get some non-expired to store in a cool, dry place. When you get more, use what you've got stored and replaced it with the newer. Have you read my blog post on Asthma?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krzykappy View Post
Hey DOC i'm starting my advance med kit and was wondering for a IV set if a
2.5% Dextrose & 0.45% Sodium Chloride Injection USP 500mg bag would be something good to use. There is many IV bags out there and i was wondering what would a good al around IV bag.

Yes i have been trained to give IV's and i have given a couple of IV's to people. Just was wondering on the whole bag solution deal.

Thank you
What I use is:
If I'm trying to replace fluids from dehydration, Normal (0.9%) Sodium Choride, Lactated Ringers, or (in non-diabetics) Dextrose 5% 0.9% Sodium Chloride.

If I'm concerned they have a weak heart I might use the 1/2 Normal 0.45%, or D5 1/2 Normal Sodium Chloride.

To administer medication and just keep the line open I use D5W (5% Dextrose in water) or, in a diabetic, 1/2 Normal Sodium Chloride.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheSurvivalDoctor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSurvivalDoctor View Post
It would be as a last case, desperation situation. Liquid doesn't store as well as solid meds and five years past expiration is a long time. If I were you, I'd not depend on it. Get some non-expired to store in a cool, dry place. When you get more, use what you've got stored and replaced it with the newer. Have you read my blog post on Asthma?
I haven't read it yet, but I will now. I have the meds in the bottom drawer of the fridge right now.... to keep it cool.

Thanks!
Old 05-08-2012, 05:00 PM

I probably don't have to tell you that allergic reaction to bees can be fatal. But did you know many allergic reactions occur in people who've been stung before and never had a bad reaction before? Everyone should be prepared. http://www.thesurvivaldoctor.com/201...to-bee-stings/
Old 05-08-2012, 05:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,003 Times in 657 Posts

Hey Survival Doc, were you featured on a survival show not too long ago? If so, I am pretty sure I am subscribed to your email feeds. If not, then my apologies.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrixfreak70 View Post
Hey Survival Doc, were you featured on a survival show not too long ago? If so, I am pretty sure I am subscribed to your email feeds. If not, then my apologies.
Nope, I haven't been on any shows. Thanks, though.