Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 01-13-2012, 08:36 PM

Default hunting blowgun and darts

Advertise Here

i made a hunting blowgun out of some metal pipe that is about 4.5' tall and probably about and inch in diameter. not sure what type of metal it is but it is quite sturdy and pretty light weight. made my darts using some of the larger bamboo skewers for the shafts, and used utility knife blades toe make some nasty broadheads. also just made some heavy duty spike darts using 3 1/4" grip rite nails from lowes. on some of the spike darts i heated the tips using my pencil torch and hammered them into spear points on my mini anvil. i used a pvc reducer for the mouthpiece and wrapped some paracord handles for both my hands for shooting. so far this is a very reliable, accurate and powerful blowgun. but if anyone has any suggestions or ideas on how i can improve or modify the blowgun or darts please share. unfortunately i am unable to upload the pictures at this time.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alphawolfx86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 11:44 PM

blowguns are a good idea. I made one as a boy scout using 1/2 " or 3/4 " aluminum pipe. Made my darts using balsa wood, carved a bullet shaped body about 1- 1 1/2 " in length. Took some coat hanger wire, 4-5 " for the spike and passed it through the balsa plug leaving about 1/2" tail as a balancer while in flight. Needed glue to keep wire and balsa from sliding. Then sharpen or pound tip into a blade point. Seal balsa to prevent water absorption. Used this successfully for birds and small game.

Last edited by offshoreday; 01-13-2012 at 11:46 PM.. Reason: left out detail
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to offshoreday For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 10:09 AM
All around gun nut

A few things I have picked up.. When usin bamboo skewers.. Dip the point into some crazy glue.. Let it soak up all it can and let it harden.. Really reinforces the strenth of the tip. Then go out an get some foam wrap around pipe insulation that fits the diam. of your blowgun. Cut a 2" piece and mount it to your blowgun. Makes for a handy quiver!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to scoutrifleshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 10:24 AM
shottist. Brit spelling.

Thanked 7,097 Times in 3,659 Posts

You guys are pretty sharp. I have had a blowgun since the 1970s. We had really big cockroaches when I lived in the Rio Grande Valley, and I was known to spike 'em to the apartment walls with my first one.... They made good practice targets....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 10:29 AM
Prepared

Try a smaller diameter pipe. You should be able to get lots more velocity that way.
The Following User Says Thank You to D.K For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 10:46 AM
All around gun nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.K View Post
Try a smaller diameter pipe. You should be able to get lots more velocity that way.
Most of my homemades use 1/2" pcv.. Made one with 2 3ft sections an a coupler.. Handy 6ft takedown blowgun!
The Following User Says Thank You to scoutrifleshooter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 02:11 AM

Thanks guys for all the replies! Very helpful. I just measured the diameter or my blowgun and it actually is 1/2". It has great velocity. And awesome idea with the foam for a quiver. Never thought of dipping the skewer tips in krazy glue. That is a good idea as well. I keep reading about alot of people using an epoxy to secure the cones and Broadhead tips to there skewers. Any specific epoxy that would work best?
The Following User Says Thank You to alphawolfx86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 06:19 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,141 Times in 344 Posts

1. Use plastic golf tees, put in a drill and file down to fit in the tube. Cut the end of the tee off. Use a heavy duty metal coat hanger to make the dart. Mount the coat hanger wire in the drill and file a point. Heat the metal and force it into the golf tee. These will penetrate 1/2 inch plywood.
2. Make cones by heating a gallon milk jug till it is almost clear, push a plumb bob (http://www.onlinetips.org/plumb-bobs) into the plastic slowly to form a cone. Let cool and cut cones to size with a razor. Mount the dart with 2 part epoxy.
3. If the mods say OK, I will give directions for exploding blowgun darts. They use .22 cal. blanks and plastic golf tees.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bridgetdaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 PM
Believe in Yourself

Thanked 4,812 Times in 2,163 Posts

I bought my first one in the early 70's from a company I think that as called Jivaro. You got a bundle of about .030 spring steel a string of plastic beads and a 5'X3/8" aluminum tube. Pull a bead off of the strand, heat up a short peace of the steel and push it into the bead. Pretty wicked indeed.
My newest version uses a short piece of .125"SS and re-purposed fire extinguisher @ 150 psi for push through the same 3/8 inch tube.
Now that is a blow gun.....
The cones are the factory from any blowgun supply.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

For a 1/2" dia. blowgun you can also use cigarette filters far fletching. Break them off and run your arrow shaft through the center. Lash or glue to the shaft, tear off the paper and fluff the cotton.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wootie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 05:27 AM

These have all been great tips! Thank you all. I went out and got some pipe insulation and made a quiver and it works perfect. I'll have to go our and get some steel wire...if I can locate some that is. Cigarette filters will be a very easy supply for fletching since im a smoker. I have been trying to figure out the exploding darts. I think it would be fun for targets......or maybe an occasional squirrel ^_^ lol. Also made a fishing gig attachment for my blowgun. Haven't had a chance to test it yet because the cold weather but it looks like it will work well. Might make a cobra or king cobra detachable sling for it as well. Has anyone used wire caps for making stun darts? They come out with some pretty wicked speed. But I dont know how much they would actually work against squirrels. Also...has anyone had any problems with using a blowgun in Ohio? There are so many squirrels where I live I would think I'd be doing a service by removing the little buggers.
Old 01-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolfx86 View Post
These have all been great tips! Thank you all. I went out and got some pipe insulation and made a quiver and it works perfect. I'll have to go our and get some steel wire...if I can locate some that is. Cigarette filters will be a very easy supply for fletching since im a smoker. I have been trying to figure out the exploding darts. I think it would be fun for targets......or maybe an occasional squirrel ^_^ lol. Also made a fishing gig attachment for my blowgun. Haven't had a chance to test it yet because the cold weather but it looks like it will work well. Might make a cobra or king cobra detachable sling for it as well. Has anyone used wire caps for making stun darts? They come out with some pretty wicked speed. But I dont know how much they would actually work against squirrels. Also...has anyone had any problems with using a blowgun in Ohio? There are so many squirrels where I live I would think I'd be doing a service by removing the little buggers.
Exploding darts are very doable. Most big venders carry one that uses toy caps. A little imagination and redesign can make them much more effective. Rules here keep me from going into detail. Remember KISS...
The Following User Says Thank You to alergyfree For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Trapper

I used to make them with what ever pipe I had around, PVC I found was best. For darts, I would use specimin pins - what you would use in a biology lab to hold animals apart when disecting them. I would whip wool to the blunt end and then comb it so it was all individual fibers rather than strands of wool.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:01 AM

Oh im sure I could make the "special" darts. Always been very creative with making things. I made some darts using tattoo needles and they work GREAT! Lol. And alergyfree, what do you mean by "remember kiss"?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:08 AM

I can't seem to locate any steel wire. Or other things to make wire darts.
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 AM

Try a hobby shop for the wire. It is used for the controls of r/c cars and planes. It comes in many thicknesses.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:20 AM

darts are hard to find in the dark!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:54 AM

Rolling the cones out of milk jug or laundry soap bottles might be easier than the plumb bob method, and faster as well. Darts can be made from coat hangers as mentioned, bamboo skewers from the oriental section of your grocery store for like $1/100pcs. The wire they mentioned at hobby shops is really cheap, but if you are ordering online, shipping prices may get you. You can imrpovise a mouthpieace with a plastic funnel fitter tightly at one end of the barrel. There are tons of DIY videos for making the end cones as well as "broadheads".
Old 01-18-2012, 09:10 AM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,758 Times in 8,989 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgetdaddy View Post
3. If the mods say OK, I will give directions for exploding blowgun darts. They use .22 cal. blanks and plastic golf tees.

Umm.... NO.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Believe in Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphawolfx86 View Post
Oh im sure I could make the "special" darts. Always been very creative with making things. I made some darts using tattoo needles and they work GREAT! Lol. And alergyfree, what do you mean by "remember kiss"?
Keep It Simple Stupid