Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 01-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,676 Posts
Default Life in a FEMA camp?

Advertise Here

I really would prefer this not to devolve into a conspiracy thread. Say we have a disaster scenario and FEMA is doing the job of public aid and assistance they are suppose to. Think Katrina.

So you are out of your home with lots and lots of other refugees.

If you are a prepper what would you bring with you?

How do you plan on keeping that stuff and you and your safe? I assume FEMA would shake us all down looking for weapons and other stuff not on their approved list.

Any ideas particular on how to act as a family, look out for one another?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Improvise Adapt Overcome!

Thanked 8,639 Times in 3,864 Posts

I would avoid the FEMA camp.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,020 Times in 785 Posts

Me too .. avoid the camps after what was reported about Katrina.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kris704th For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Perhaps you should read angeryamerican's latest chapter in his "Going Home" saga for a little insight to what will happen inside said camp.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...202922&page=44

Post #869
The Following User Says Thank You to Awake&Alive For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Survivor

OK lets just work with the scenario you ARE going to the camp. Maybe that choice and free will thing isn't working for you. How would you prepare and make the most of a bad situation?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:04 PM
Canadian Piper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
OK lets just work with the scenario you ARE going to the camp. Maybe that choice and free will thing isn't working for you. How would you prepare and make the most of a bad situation?
I think if me freedom has been that compromised, I've kinda failed at being a survivalist. How would I prepare to make the most of a situation that bad, well unless forced at gunpoint I wouldn't go to one of those camps and once there I would do everything to escape. As Im shure many others with the same mindset would aswell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to panzerkommandant For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:13 PM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 5,799 Times in 2,929 Posts

I'm not really "getting" it.... You're a prepper, but you find yourself needing to go to a FEMA assistance camp? The first would seem to render the second superfluous.....am I missing something?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:27 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by real wowwee View Post
I really would prefer this not to devolve into a conspiracy thread. Say we have a disaster scenario and FEMA is doing the job of public aid and assistance they are suppose to. Think Katrina.

So you are out of your home with lots and lots of other refugees.

If you are a prepper what would you bring with you?

How do you plan on keeping that stuff and you and your safe? I assume FEMA would shake us all down looking for weapons and other stuff not on their approved list.

Any ideas particular on how to act as a family, look out for one another?
I would die first. Period. The gov is not equipped nor able to protect me or my family.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to toolman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 05:43 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman View Post
I would die first. Period. The gov is not equipped nor able to protect me or my family.
This exactly!!!

I see this as a Red Dawn scenario. It would be my duty to free those who did not want to be there.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:05 PM

First of all, I am sure a gun confiscation would occur. And I am sorry, second amendment rights aside, my 1911 cost me $850 (brand new at the gun shop as of the date of this post). In current market conditions, it sells for over $1000.00 (assuming our fantasy scenario is in play). You want my gun, the price is 1K now, cash on the barrel. Cough it up, or you can't have my gun.

If you can't cough up the $1k, then I am outta here!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,389 Times in 4,586 Posts

I don't know about camps but in 1993 during the big flood along the Mississippi River I did some volunteer work sand bagging etc with FEMA. Everyone I met there was extremely nice and very concerned about the victims of the flood. I find it hard to believe and of the people I met would do anything to hurt people. I know everyone comes down on fema hard but I personally have only had good experiences with them.
The Following User Says Thank You to rextex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Subterranean Nut Hoarder

Thanked 1,227 Times in 431 Posts

The last time we had a wildfire that called for an evac, the "Emergency Management" folks couldn't even round up the dogs. I'm not too worried about them figuring out how to corral me! Anyway, they'll have their hands full with people who are begging to go to camp.

But to play your game.. let's say that my neighbor's firebug kid burned my house down and the entire town with it, leaving me standing in my now torched yard scratching my head, and the Evil FEMA Camp Counselor spies me outside and grabs me, and says GET YOUR THINGS YOU'RE COMING WITH ME! I would say, sure no problem, and go right along, taking not a single thing because they'd probably take it from me anyway. Or they would if they were smart, because who knows what sort of contraband I might have in there? And then, after they put us all to bed, I would get out just as easily as I did my parents house when I was 15.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:20 PM
Survivor

Gee you guy call yourself preppers huh? Can't even imagine how you would act in a situation thrown in with a mob of down and out people all trying to survive. Everyone one of you are going lone wolf in a flood, a fire, a chemical attack, a giant squeeze soft man rampage. No one can hold me down. WOLVERINES!!!!!!!!!

No plan for being herded by the man with the rest of the unfortunates and more than a few predators. What kind of survival bag would you want each of your family members to have? Would having money with you make your life better or just a target? If you had to be totally grey but still have things that made your survival better what would they be? I am not talking about being herded into Auschwitz for immediate gassing, just coping with a difficult situation.

I give up. Have at it urban survivors.
The Following User Says Thank You to real wowwee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,126 Times in 507 Posts

Frankly, it's just boring. You sit around waiting for them to finish clean-up. There's enough to keep you alive but you're not comfortable at all and then there's still the mind numbing boredom. Then you go back and start rebuilding your home in one way or another. Life sucks as you try to get back to work and a normal daily life. You're poor for quite a while and you'll more likely than not eventually get back to a comfortable level but the whole experience was just depressing and miserable.

Sorry, no evil brain washing or gas chambers. Nothing remotely that interesting. Just one very long evil FEMA depressed boredom torture session eating cheese and crackers and drinking stale water sleeping on a bad cot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
Frankly, it's just boring. You sit around waiting for them to finish clean-up. There's enough to keep you alive but you're not comfortable at all and then there's still the mind numbing boredom. Then you go back and start rebuilding your home in one way or another. Life sucks as you try to get back to work and a normal daily life. You're poor for quite a while and you'll more likely than not eventually get back to a comfortable level but the whole experience was just depressing and miserable.

Sorry, no evil brain washing or gas chambers. Nothing remotely that interesting. Just one very long evil FEMA depressed boredom torture session eating cheese and crackers and drinking stale water sleeping on a bad cot.
I would never go to a FEMA cmp, just because of the bad cot, if no other reason. My back pack as a camping hammock in it. No way I am going to FEMA camp, when i can go to a quieter location, string up my hammock and sleep in style.

I mean, I escape people just to string up a hammock and relax now. A disaster would just be one more excuse to engage in my favorite hobby (napping in my hammock).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vanishing Nomad For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,126 Times in 507 Posts

I'm not interested in a refugee camp just because I don't need it, it takes up space for people who really can't survive any other way, and I'd be more comfortable, successful, and able to rebuild better and faster without it. But for people who do not prep at all it's the only choice they have not to starve to death and bless FEMA for providing that for those people instead of just letting the bodies pile up.

I know FEMA does push people to be more self-sufficient (even going so far as running a 'hip' campaign trying to get people to prepare for a zombie apocalypse because if you can survive that you can survive anything) but I really wish they'd invest more in seriously promoting survivalism as a mainstream every citizen's duty to themselves and the country.

It's no different than preparing for winter like every hominid in a temperate climate did for the past few million years (odd that about 60 years ago we all suddenly decided it was a silly idea). Survivalism needs to lose the public image of the crazy old coot trying to wage a one man guerrilla war against the government and become one where everyone knows that things will not always be as good or better than they are today and that you should make your life plans based on the future that will likely include both good and bad times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 08:12 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,619 Posts

I went through Greensburg after the tornado destroyed the town, the FEMA camps were nothing fancy but did provide basic housing to allow those that needed it a place to stay while they rebuilt. I have gone to Joplin many times and the same is true.. For those of you who think that you could just grab your backpack and survive for months I think that you have read too many fantasy novels and/or watched too many movies. When you go from a comfortable life with all your preps stored in your home to having NOTHING because a flood, a tornado, a hurricane. or wildfire took it all, you will be the first ones getting keys to the FEMA mobile home.

Now in the same thought there is a difference between a natural disaster and a societal collapse, the natural disaster is sudden and unpredictable, for the most part societal collapse(war, famine, economic collapse, etc.) are usually seen coming or slow enough in development for alternative plans to be put into place and most of the true preppers and survivalist here will be okay and will not need FEMA, if there is a FEMA.

I think it is funny how people talk big when nothing has ever happened to them. Yes it did happen to me 1993 we were evacuated because of a possible levee breach. Thanks to the govt., we were placed in a hotel for several days until the danger passed, then given some assistance for damage done due to sink holes and such that formed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Be prepared & never seen

It's funny how there is always some one who thinks they know,what everyone
else's skills can do for them. What one person can do to survive not everyone can. But I believe there are more of us that could survive long periods on our own. Than most people realize, its amazing what people can do when they have to. And for me FEMA help would be a very, very last
choice.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
styer sniper

Something like Something like the ordeal at the football stadiums during Katrina, no way. They threw the sheep to the wolves there. If it did happen though weapons would be a priority. I have a guy working for me that just got out of jail after 13 years. He has some really cool information about how to improvise shanks, cook, etc with little to nothing. It would be good stuff to know if we were ever in a situation like this. The other day he was showing us how to make a knife out of plastic packaging and a heater vent.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomclay98 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,588 Times in 4,200 Posts

What sort of a camp are we talking about? I mean, it may be absolutely clear to some of YOU what a camp would be, but not all of us are so enlightened. Would it be a school gymnasium or warehouse chock full of cots, a bunch of FEMA trailers, rows of tents like the refugee camps in Haiti, or Stalag 17? A lot would depend on how much room and privacy, and what sort of facilities, were available...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moccasin For This Useful Post: