Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
View Poll Results: which knife would you choose
esee junglas 53 67.09%
buck hoodlum 19 24.05%
cross between the two 7 8.86%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2012, 12:34 PM

Default esee junglas or buck hoodlum

Advertise Here

I was looking at these two knives and was trying to decide between them for general backpacking that sort of thing and yes this knife would be going in my bob. What knife would you choose between the two. I was also thinking a cross between the two would be good with the buck's handle and the esee's blade. What do you guys think?
Old 01-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,298 Times in 5,517 Posts

For all of those who like to see what we are talking about.

Otherwise they are both too big for me. But I like esee as a brand.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dontbuypotteryfromme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 01:01 PM

Yes thank you for posting the pictures of those knives I forgot to do that
The Following User Says Thank You to flyingmonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Resident Metalhead

The handle was the deciding factor for me. The Junglas seems like it would make your hand tired after a shorter time than the Hoodlum. You can change your hold on the Hoodlum for what you're doing. The Junglas is probably more of a chopper than the Hoodlum, but a machete will do what the Junglas will.
The Following User Says Thank You to klax For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 09:58 AM

im still torn. i think i need to hold both of them back to back and then decide.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:22 AM
90/10 headed for 95/5

Thanked 7,338 Times in 3,421 Posts

We need more information. In what environment are you backpacking? Other than hiking, what activites are you expecting to be involved in?

Generally speaking, for me, both of those knives are too big....for just about everything. If I was somewhere I though I'd need a knife as silly big as either of those, I'd probably be looking for a machete. YMMV
Old 01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
Average Joe

Thanked 1,852 Times in 967 Posts

I've held and used many ESEE Knives, and their quality is very good. They are not built super-pretty like a safe queen, but they look damn good and feel rock solid. That Junglas is one bad mother****er. Of the two, I would say the quality and customer service of ESEE is way above and beyond the Buck. However, I don't think either of those knives are suited to typical backpacking. Try a 4" blade from ESEE. You can still baton with it, do finer bushcraft woodwork, and it weighs a lot less. You can wear it for EDC carry in most places as well, and it does that very nicely. I've met most of the ESEE crew in person and they are very friendly and willing to please their customers. I think you will be happy with any product from them, but a smaller knife may be more suited to backpacking. Weight is a big consideration for the BOB, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TDFbound For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Smooth Operator

I've found that when it comes to tools you get get what you pay for.

ESEE Junglas hands down. Fit and finish are excellent. Comes with a great edge from the factory and sharpens as well as holds that edge. The sheath offers plenty of mounting options and there's an after market attachment which will allow adding other pouches to it.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM

Esee is a no-nonsense blade that handles well for chopping applications, and youtube has a video proving the Junglas is able to bend close to 90 degrees before breaking. Not talking about extreme survival situations but sometimes, even normal wood processing, bending the blade is unavoidable. Hoodlum seems too tactical for me, and the notch in the back of the blade just seem like a weak point that may introduce catastrophic failure.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEAR CUT View Post
I've found that when it comes to tools you get get what you pay for.

ESEE Junglas hands down. Fit and finish are excellent. Comes with a great edge from the factory and sharpens as well as holds that edge. The sheath offers plenty of mounting options and there's an after market attachment which will allow adding other pouches to it.
You also just described the Buck Hoodlum, they both run just over $200 as a list price, the Junglas is made of 1095 and was designed by some one who teaches jungle survival. The Hoodlum is 5160 and was designed by someone who actualy promoted survival in areas where most Americans or Canadians might be surviving. In reality the Buck feels uber light, every time I hold one (don't own one as it dosen't suit me but neither does the Junglas) I'm surprised at just how ballanced and light it seems.
The Junglas has a proven reputation and both are backed by life time warranty with that claim proven by ESEE but not quit as good from Buck.
cheers
Old 01-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Smooth Operator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
You also just described the Buck Hoodlum, they both run just over $200 as a list price, the Junglas is made of 1095 and was designed by some one who teaches jungle survival. The Hoodlum is 5160 and was designed by someone who actualy promoted survival in areas where most Americans or Canadians might be surviving. In reality the Buck feels uber light, every time I hold one (don't own one as it dosen't suit me but neither does the Junglas) I'm surprised at just how ballanced and light it seems.
The Junglas has a proven reputation and both are backed by life time warranty with that claim proven by ESEE but not quit as good from Buck.
cheers
Perhaps, but I don't own the Buck. I do own a Junglas. I still say go with the Junglas.

/\ Thumbnails. Click to enlarge.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,707 Times in 1,841 Posts

There is a failure of a Hoodlum on youtube.

No failure with regards to the Junglas.
The Following User Says Thank You to zatoichi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2012, 08:01 AM
Answer Is No

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatoichi View Post
There is a failure of a Hoodlum on youtube.

No failure with regards to the Junglas.
You're not looking hard enough then, they are both good knives but both fail when subjected to abuse. I don't think anyone would be poorly equiped with either.
cheers
Old 01-25-2012, 09:35 PM

Both excellent knives but I would have to go with the junglas. They will both take care of business but I feel the junglas is better suited for repeated hard use and with the extra weight it will perform heavy chopping a little better when it is necessary.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:36 PM
Prepared

The ESEE Junglas is a far better design. Classic geometry, good steel and heat treatment, ti will take any reasonable use and then some more. On the other hand the Hoodlums has a terrible design flaw, a big notch on the spine of a rather narrow full flat ground blade. BIG no no. Searching "Hoodlum Fail" on youtube shows videos of different people that snaped theblade in two during normal use for a knife of such size. Buck reduced the size of the notch some but the design flaw still exists, at least until they get rid of the notch on the spine and probably make the blade a bit thicker or at least og for a saber grind. Its just too narrow for a FFG.
In a word, ESEE Junglas is just better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlewolf View Post
You're not looking hard enough then, they are both good knives but both fail when subjected to abuse. I don't think anyone would be poorly equiped with either.
cheers
Havent seen any Junglas fail videos or read any such reports. If you could link to them that would be great.

FerFAL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Don't Tread On Me

I have'nt seen any junglas fails either.I mean I'm sure you could break one if you tried like with a hammer or somthing but i've never seen a one.I voted junglas and I own one.Mine was 152.95 with sheath.If you find a vid of an esee failing on somthing other than a torture test I would like to see it.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:00 PM
Smooth Operator

As would I. I've been beating the hell out of mine and so far the blade seems to dig it.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Wormhole Inversion

I voted for the Junglas....

I own an RTAK-II already and would even recommend that over the Hoodlum. The Hoodlum has issues that have already been addressed.

I love my RTAK to death, but I JUST ordered a Junglas. I couldn't help myself...

Good luck with whichever blade you choose!
Old 05-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Man of constant sorrow

Thanked 3,890 Times in 1,289 Posts
Default Esee Junglas

Esee Junglas, first, last always. I have a great respect for the late Ron hood. I like Buck as a knife company. However, for a rock sold knife that has a no-questions-asked warranty, the Esee wins hands down. I have a Esee 4 and 6 and find that i wasted a bunch of money on other knives.

That blade notch is a worry for me on the Hoodlum

I have seen numerous failures of the RTAK big blades and will never buy one

I have compared the Rat Cutlery to the Esee, and the Esee comes out better for fit and finish AND warranty.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:13 PM
Wormhole Inversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrowed time View Post
I have seen numerous failures of the RTAK big blades and will never buy one
I would mainly attribute the failures to improper use. Sure, the RTAK can baton all day, as long as the user is careful and resets the blade when necessary INSTEAD of trying to hammer it through a tough knot like a ****tard.

I've used my RTAK to drop some small poplar trees to build a bean "pole" for the garden. De-limbed them and chopped to length with zero issues. It's one hell of a chopper!!

I'm kind of weary of beating on the knife (mainly because they are discontinued now, right?), but there are bad apples in EVERY batch. Things like that are to be expected from production knives.

You may say you wouldn't own an RTAK, but have you ever held or used one? I bet you would change your mind pretty fast. They are definitely something to have in the collection if you like large blades.

Not trying to argue here but the internet hype is mostly junk. If I found a video of an RTAK breaking/chipping during normal use (not batoning), maybe I could be swayed, but a picture or a video of a chipped/broken blade with no proof of how it actually happened is just bs IMO.

That being said... OP . . . Get the Junglas. I CAN'T WAIT for mine to arrive!!!!