Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-13-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Stainless Steel or Aluminum water bottle?

Advertise Here

I'm needing to buy a heavy duty water bottle for my pack. My nalgene was stolen but I'd had it for about 3 years and I needed to upgrade anyway.

I've read good things about Sigg and Klean Kanteen, but I want something that I can boil water in without worry of getting any weird flavors from the metal. Aluminum in my experience gives the liquid a real weird (metallic) flavor

Any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2012, 08:59 AM
17 Oaks Ranch Tx

Thanked 4,466 Times in 1,988 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Kirk View Post
I'm needing to buy a heavy duty water bottle for my pack. My nalgene was stolen but I'd had it for about 3 years and I needed to upgrade anyway.

I've read good things about Sigg and Klean Kanteen, but I want something that I can boil water in without worry of getting any weird flavors from the metal. Aluminum in my experience gives the liquid a real weird (metallic) flavor

Any suggestions?
Generally either if OK under ordinary circumstances. But alum has some issues when under 'stress' so to speak:
1) Unless is very high grade alum it is exposed to a lot of different waters in your travels that can affect it, cause it to oxidize and even corrode.

2) FACT: Water is one of the most effective corrosives in the world

3) There is a strength issue as if you take a fall on your container and it gets crushed.

5) Stainless will be a superior product under your criteria...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageSun 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,142 Times in 5,454 Posts

I like stainless steel. But then I also buy the cheapest stainless water bottles I can. My only real requirement is a wide mouth.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 AM
WINNING...humbly

Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,579 Posts

I have a few ss bottles but they dont make sense to me anymore. I am no Dave or Cody and not paid to show you how to survive if you are being so unlucky to crush in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. As a single container, to boil water in it, carry water and drink from it, sure, I would use it. But I am always prepared so I dont have to compromise. If you want to know, I carry two collapseable water bottles, and Optimus Terra Weekend HE cook set. That thing can easely boil 1l of water under 3 minutes over the gas canister stove and a little longer over the coals. This whole setup just barely heavier and bulkier then a good size ss bottle but so much more convinient.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Gettin By

Everyone is going to have their opinion on this one, so here is mine. I go with a GOOD one piece stainless of the best quality that I can find. Yes I am usually prepared and would not need to boil water in mine, but it is reassuring to have that option if needed.
As in the above post, I don't care for alluminum either.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackrock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 12:54 PM

stainless for sure the weight thing on this will not matter and it will take a hell of a beating and keep your water safe. I have some but almost never use them I like the old gi canteen w/cup. The Stanley adventure cooking pot works great and is small/lite for boiling water.
The Following User Says Thank You to mastermind For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 01:08 PM
Thru-Hiker

I just found a Klean Kanteen stainless bottle for $4 while wandering in a thrift store. Never know what you'll find in those places. I use a Platypus for hiking but will keep this in my truck pack.

If you want it for boiling water, get the stainless. Aluminum bottles are almost always lined with something on the inside that you don't want to boil into your water, and you should be more worried about your health at that point than the flavor.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Trapper

i have a klean kanteen that i use to boil water and i love it, high quality and simple. The strength advantage outweighs the weight which wont be much much anyway since they are fairly thing. Just try and get the one that is not insulated if you plan on boiling water with it, i almost grabbed the insulated because they look almost the same and was told that there can be issues with heating and cooling the air between the inner and outer layer
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AZSrvr For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 04:51 PM

A steel water bottle, you can boil water in it.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:50 PM
Deus exsisto laus

Thanked 6,711 Times in 2,281 Posts

I am not a big fan of aluminum food containers. Some people may like them, not me. Stainless steel for me. TP
Old 01-15-2012, 12:02 AM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,459 Posts

go all out... get titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 08:13 AM
Goat Herder

Thanked 2,108 Times in 725 Posts

Stainless steel hands down no contest. Aluminum warps easily and even melts at only 660C degrees whereas SS goes to 1,510. A camp fire can get to 1,000C. Boiling water should be priority #1. Especially when you can turn that boiling into distilling by putting a silicon tube on the top of that bottle and running it to a second bottle outside the fire.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:33 AM

I recently bought a guyot design stainless water bottle. I like it a lot, it's sturdy, has a wide mouth and good sealing cap. I alway throw it in my pack, I recently took a hard spill while Mtn. biking and landed on the bottle, not even a small ding.