Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 02-28-2014, 12:50 PM

Default Mandatory Evacuation

Advertise Here

My Question is what are the laws on evacuation's? In the event of a natural or man made Problem Do we have to leave our home? We see huge fires, floods, possible mud slides, chemical spills, criminal activity. What is our right on when it is really eminent danger to myself or family? When dose our government local or federal have the right to force us out of our homes to evacuate?
Old 02-28-2014, 12:55 PM
Target Shooter

My understanding is if officials ask you to leave for your own safety then you have to leave. My opinion is that if you don't you're on your own.
There's been lots of cases where people refused to leave during flood, fire etc. and then call rescuers to get them out endangering everyone.
Just my opinion.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Don H For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:04 PM

So they cant force us but we cant call for help if we stay? I'm ok with that if that's the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to starcraft69 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:10 PM

If it endangers the responders,they will probably make the decision not to come rescue you, period.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taurusgunnah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:12 PM
Stop being on my side!

Thanked 24,266 Times in 7,118 Posts

You need to know what your local law is, and how local LE implements it.

Where I live, they'll call an evacuation "mandatory", but it's really just a formality. I've never heard of anyone in my area actually being forced to leave.

Since it's usually a hurricane, the authorities make it clear that they're not going out to rescue anybody during the storm (though they often do).
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,030 Posts

What Old Dude said. I've been in two different states during mandatory evacs and both worked out that way.

On one occasion one of the local PD stopped by to let us know, but we weren't forced to do anything.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MS45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:40 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,023 Times in 336 Posts

Here in Alabama, the gov can't make us leave. They won't come help either. They can't even enforce a road closure much less round us up.

But, in California the police probably do what they want.
Old 02-28-2014, 01:43 PM
Stop being on my side!

During Katrina, volunteers from the SeaBee base in Gulfport mounted some fairly daring rescues using a deuce-and-a-half. Not even thier job, but that's SeaBees.

I understand the Bay St. Louis FD did similar stuff.

Out here in the county, half of us don't know how to dial 911 anyway.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 01:46 PM

During one hurricane here in Houston, they told everybody to get out of low lying areas, if you didn't leave you were on your own, first responders were pulling out and would be back till it was over. Some people didn't leave and called for help after the storm hit, they found some of the bodies, some they still haven't found. People made there choice and it came back to bite them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to merlin1358 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 02:25 PM

I believe consequences of not obeying vary by state. (My guess is that it's a felony in California) I think in Texas, you don't have to leave, but you are on your own if emergency services are needed. Authorities won't risk harm to their people on someone that wants to ride out the storm. If children are involved there is a possibility of being charged with "endangerment to a child" if you don't evacuate. Your decision. Personally, I'm an evacuation type guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shinnery For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,636 Times in 2,436 Posts

I think it also depends on your country's policy, for instance some places allow people to stay and fight the flooding/fire, while others want everyone out.

Personally I think you have to weigh up every situation in turn, if you can leave in plenty of time I would and not take the risk. Certainly here they don't ask you to leave just for the sake of it. One person I know had 5 minutes to evacuate when a heath fire was approaching her front door.

One thing most wont think of is that it is very hard to sit still in those kinds of situations. The adrenalin is flowing major league and you may well want to get moving without being told.

You also have to think about dependants and pets, where would they be safe so many have died staying put or leaving too late.

If I were you I would do the research on the disaster that can hit your area and work out a plan accordingly, but don't rely on just one plan have several and learn to adapt them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Purdy Bear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 02:33 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,384 Times in 3,581 Posts

I'm in the Outer Banks, NC. To evacuate from a hurricane requires driving more than 2 hours west and then, we can't come back until the authorities say we can. Unless it's a really bad storm, we ain't going.

Who do you think is running the chainsaws and moving trees to get the power company trucks into neighborhoods?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sacajawea For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,482 Times in 3,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old dude View Post
You need to know what your local law is, and how local LE implements it.

Where I live, they'll call an evacuation "mandatory", but it's really just a formality. I've never heard of anyone in my area actually being forced to leave.

Since it's usually a hurricane, the authorities make it clear that they're not going out to rescue anybody during the storm (though they often do).

eazy enough to call the Coast Guard taxi ... wave your welfare card and scream that the white president is a bigot ...
Old 02-28-2014, 02:56 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,030 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacajawea View Post
I'm in the Outer Banks, NC. To evacuate from a hurricane requires driving more than 2 hours west and then, we can't come back until the authorities say we can. Unless it's a really bad storm, we ain't going.

Who do you think is running the chainsaws and moving trees to get the power company trucks into neighborhoods?
I-65 was contraflowed from mobile to Montgomery 48 hrs in advance and it was still gridlock (Katrina and Ivan). Evacuations are a SHTF scenario all of their own.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MS45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 03:03 PM
Stop being on my side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS45 View Post
I-65 was contraflowed from mobile to Montgomery 48 hrs in advance and it was still gridlock (Katrina and Ivan). Evacuations are a SHTF scenario all of their own.
This. The evac dangers have to be part of the equation. A lot of people don't get that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Old dude For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,845 Times in 2,819 Posts

Ditto what Merlin said. During Rita and Ike, the police told people if they chose to ignore the evacuation order, to be sure to write their name and SS on their arm for identification purposes. By the time they found one woman who stayed in her home on Bolivar (may have been somewhere else, but basically the Galveston area) a year or so later, miles down the coast in a massive mountain of debris, she was basically a skeleton. IIRC, she tried to call for help at the height of the storm but there was nothing to be done for her, and she died.

I don't live coastal, and it would take a lot for me to leave my home, but if I were faced with something I knew was going to be overwhelming and I knew I would not survive like forest fire, I would leave ahead of time.

Zombie hoards and TEOTW, I'll probably stay.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TxHannah For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 03:12 PM
What would Mal do

Thanked 4,077 Times in 1,451 Posts

lived through several hurricanes and only once did some of my family take to the road to evac...the interstate was a nightmare...gridlock, gas stations jammed, people relieving themselves on the side of the road...young families with babies without milk, etc...my family swore they would never do that again and they never have through 4 additional hurricanes since.

the only other evac that has happened in my town was an industrial issue...cloud of nasty.. I wasn't even home at the time, but they evac'd a cone of area....and had to move a nursing home full of folks to a facility..about the time they got them settled in , the wind shifted and they had to move em all again...what a mess..it was settled by the time I was due to come home that night..
The Following User Says Thank You to bighanded For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 03:23 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Default All heard

I am sure most of you have heard about the couple in the flood that the Gov sent a Jeep to bring them to safety but they told them they were staying there that the Lord would take care of them, then the gov sent them a boat but they said they weren't worried as the Lord would take care of them. As the water kept rising the gov sent them a helicopter but they said it was OK as the Lord would take care of them. Finally the water got so high that they all drowned and when they got to heaven they asked the Lord why he didn't save them? He said I sent you a jeep, a boat and a helicopter!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shootmor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Recent Blog:
Prepared

Default The laws don't matter

If you don't have enough sense to weigh what you have to lose against what effort or inconvenience it takes to protect yourself you deserve to die so that you don't perpetuate your kind. That's nature-survival of the fittest whether it's physical or mental strength. I wanted to say you dumbass but decided not to.
The Following User Says Thank You to shootmor For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 04:00 PM

Thank you all so far for the responses there are some good ones. I have no intention to just stay and die no matter what. But I do want it to be my choice how big or real the danger is not the authorities choice.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starcraft69 For This Useful Post: