Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,453 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default DIY blacksmith forge ?

Advertise Here

I want to build a forge for smithing. Anyone here built there own yet? I would like to build it to use wood since there is no place to get coal locally. Anyone do this?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fepony For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 12:53 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,139 Posts

I like my $50 Knife Shop by Wayne Goddard book. There are lots of plans around on google. Myself I like propane powered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Prepared

check the files section there are a few files on forging and blacksmithing there. have a one. you can make charcoal from wood to use in your forge. think the file is called blacksmithing101.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to equinelover For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 05:59 PM

My friend is building me a forge, and his he uses is propane powered. Works like a charm. The only thing he is hunting for for himself, and recommends for me is one of the big 100 gallon bottles. That way you don't run out as often. He currently uses those ones for BBQ grilles. They work fine, but if he can't locate a decent deal on a big bottle, he is thinking of making some sort of tandem system where he can link multiple small bottles together in a line, and when one goes kick in the next and so on. I am like charliemayer007, I would go with propane. But each his own.

Semper Fi and Blessings,
Brian
The Following User Says Thank You to bcornett72 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcornett72 View Post
My friend is building me a forge, and his he uses is propane powered. Works like a charm. The only thing he is hunting for for himself, and recommends for me is one of the big 100 gallon bottles. That way you don't run out as often. He currently uses those ones for BBQ grilles. They work fine, but if he can't locate a decent deal on a big bottle, he is thinking of making some sort of tandem system where he can link multiple small bottles together in a line, and when one goes kick in the next and so on. I am like charliemayer007, I would go with propane. But each his own.

Semper Fi and Blessings,
Brian
Is propane cost effective? How long would a 100gallon bottle last? Sounds real expencive to fill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanderhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 6,879 Times in 2,408 Posts

I built a forge that will use coal, or wood out of a kitchen sink, plumbing pipe, and a plumbing valve to control the airflow from a shopvac.

First flange the pipe I used one piece of 6 inch 1 1/4 black iron flanged to the base of the sink, then a pipe tee, a 6 inc for a drip leg to catch any soot that falls down, off the side of the tee I had another 1 /14 6inc nipple with the valve and I connect the small shop vac exhaust.

The sink base is fire mortared, then fire brick was laid on that and mortared between. the remaining sides and top have about a 1/4 or thicker coat of mortar, and I lay fire brick in the sink to insulate the sides. I haven't built the legs yet, I just have been using steel saw horses.

Google kitchen sink forge, thats where I got the ides.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,142 Posts

You might consider using a steel semi truck wheel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meat Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,126 Times in 732 Posts

here's a forge I made from a air tank, old crank blower and a pipe tweer. I filled the space around the pipe with clay. I cut slits in the pipe for air but need to drill holes. the slits plug quicker.

there's a picture of it under the big forge.

here's a photo of my charcoal making method using a 55 gallon drum..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Rouge Lemming

Years ago I wanted to try blacksmithing. So I built a forge out of some old bricks and mortar that were laying around the house.Had an old hairdryer for air.Used wood and charcoal for fuel We are talking a kid with no money.My grandmother gave me the old farm anvil and a great uncle who was a real blacksmith some tongs and a few pointers.I was set.Played with it for a few years.Then went in the machine shop program at the local votech and discovered lathes and milling machineshavent been back to blacksmithing since.Still have my anvil and tools may try again someday.
The Following User Says Thank You to scatter cat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:39 PM
Totally off grid

Thanked 4,925 Times in 1,453 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyt View Post
here's a forge I made from a air tank, old crank blower and a pipe tweer. I filled the space around the pipe with clay. I cut slits in the pipe for air but need to drill holes. the slits plug quicker.

there's a picture of it under the big forge.

here's a photo of my charcoal making method using a 55 gallon drum..
Thanks so much. Wanna explain the charcoal making?
Old 01-09-2012, 07:43 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 4,315 Times in 2,139 Posts

http://www.survivalistboards.com/dow...do=file&id=624 This is a brake drum coal forge. You will be tired of beating on hot before you run out a 20# tank of propane. Wayne's show propane torch one brick forge for small knives etc. Lots of other stuff n his book that you will find very useful. Propane -instant on instant off, no smoke.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:56 PM
Hunter

Take a 55 gallon drum and cut the top out of it safely (explosive fumes and whatnot). Leave a lip around the top like the new metal coffee cans with the pull of foil top. cut three or four holes in the bottom about the size of your fist. Set the barrel up on bricks in a sand pile of sorts.

start a fire in the barrel and get it burning good. Fill it with wood but don't pack it in. The wood should be close to the same size. I use maple slabwood cut to 8 inches long.

on the top put a lid, it will rest on the lip that was left when the top was cut out, leave the lid ajar so smoke will come out a crack. keep a eye on the smoke and when it changes colour push the lid onto the lip and sprinkle sand on the top so seal it. then push sand around the bottom to seal that up. let it set over night. Pour it out on a tarp and it's all set to use, maybe needs to be broken up with a hammer. There may be a few big chunks that didn't turn , I put those in the next batch. After a couple batches it old hat.

if I remember right one batch makes about a 30 gallon tote full.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
O_o

I built a crude temporary forge for heat treating a knife before, using only an old metal bedside table, 6 bricks, a steel tube and an electric air bed pump. Did the job just fine, but only good for small things.

I have an old gas bottle that i plan to build a larger more permanent forge out of.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cpt-Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 08:07 PM
Hunter

I like gas, especially when I'm short on time, the gas forge can be fired and it's ready to go. It can be shut down fast too.
here's one I made from a air tank.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randyt For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 08:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,732 Times in 1,787 Posts

I am in the process of building one at the moment, but we happen to be in the middle of moving so it will be a bit before it is complete..

I am using an old 250 gallon fuel tank stood on end and one side cut out to form the forge pit and the top of the tank forms the hood. I am going to fill the bottom 6 inches of the tank with clay soil. For the fire pit I am cutting the tank of an old ceramic toilette in half to hold the coals, I am going to inset them into the clay floor of the unit. I don't know what I will use for air yet, but I have several blower fans from furnaces handy, I might have to cut the air back a bit... okay maybe a lot....

This should give an idea, forgive the drawing, I just can't draw with computer programs, I much prefer hand drawing....

I thought this would be an incredibly inexpensive and simple to build system that would withstand being outside and be fairly heavy and stable... At the top of the tank would be the chimney just cut a hole and bolt on a collar like you buy for building your fireplace and add the pipe...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 08:28 PM

I'm making my own forge now from an old school bus drum. Things are coming together pretty good so far. Probably going to burn coal since I live in coal country! I'm working on making my stand with ventilation shaft. I'm thinking about using an automotive blower motor with a resister for multiple speeds...
The Following User Says Thank You to True Grit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Knife Maker

Here is a picture of a Lively Forge Kit. I based my forge on this design except I used the bottom of an old water heater instead of the galvanized tub. Beside that set up you will need some fire clay ,sand and perlite. I bought the sand and fire clay from a Masonry Supplier and the perlite from Home Depot. Some people use unscented cat litter for the clay. The mixture I used 3 parts sand 2 parts clay 1 part perlite. Mix it to a pliable consistency and form it around the pipe creating a trough for the charcoal to sit in. You want the trough about three inches deep. I have an old Canady Otto hand cranked blower on mine now but when I first built it I was using the exhaust from a shop vac for a blower. If you use the shop vac I suggest putting a gate valve inline and using that to control the blast. I used a dimmer switch but that is the wrong answer to the problem. Here is a link to a tutorial from Tim Lively himself.
http://www.timlivelyknives.com/washtubforge.htm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmac27 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 12:42 AM
Bushwacker

Thanked 1,213 Times in 607 Posts

Im a member of a blacksmithing forum. I learned a lot about blacksmithing, and learned that firebricks are the key to making a great homemade stove. You can do this pretty cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Woodlife For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:13 PM

I have made 2 brake drum forges. The made one out of an old cast iron sink. Found one at an action for $50 and then made a gas forge. Took a course at the vo-tech ( as it was called several years ago) got 60 hrs in blacksmithing and the only thing I learned was how to maintain my fire which was cruical.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimHarp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2012, 10:24 PM

Default Maybe a little primitive

When I was a kid, my neighbor and I built one in the ground. We used wood and it worked great once the walls baked in.
The Following User Says Thank You to moxnix For This Useful Post: