Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 PM

Default Modified Marlin Papoose for my plane.

Advertise Here

,,,,I decided to goof around with a Marlin Papoose take-down 22.
It fits under the back seat of my Cub just about right. It I much better as a game (food) harvester at 50 yards than my pistol and would work better for any of my flying clients who are not so familiar with firearms usage.

It was 3.23 pounds before I started to modify it... Any Alaska type mods I do to firearms I call Sourdough mods.

1. Remove magazine safety cut-off. To allow single shots without magazine being inserted.
2. Work on terrible 12 pound trigger pull. Now about 5 pounds. it needs more work
3. Install 4 power scope with 1 inch tube.
4. Remove butt-plate and cut off rear 1.0 inch of stock.
5. Install Limb-saver slip-on pad with heavy duty snaps.
6. Insert minimal survival gear in butt-stock
a. 60 rounds ammo
b. Barrel install wrench / screwdriver tool
c. Water proof matches
d. 12 feet shot-line cord
e. Fire tab ration heater (not in photo)
f. Band-aids
g. Spare 7 round magazine
h. Lightweight razor knife
i. Cleaning patches (in ammo bag)

7. Used a lanyard to attach 10 round mag to rifle.
8. Attach lightweight sling.

It does not shoot well with high price ammo. The Ely's target ammo is horrible.
But for some reason it really likes the cheap CCI- Blazer 22 ammo.

Not bad for a touch over 4 pounds with everything attached or inserted.

Well the darn photos are not loading... Let me play with my computer...
Nope I shrunk them down real small and they still will not load...

Insert Twilight Zone theme here...
Old 01-08-2012, 02:03 PM

Well lets see if the pics will load this morning...
Nope... even after making them 500x500
weird...
Old 01-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Hiker

Well, I would love to see your Papoose!

What are you using to post the images? I have always had great luck with Photobucket and it is free. Just create an account, upload your pictures to the sight and post the IMG in the forum. It should work great!
Old 01-08-2012, 10:38 PM

I tried the regular uploader for the site, but no dice. So maybe I should go back to using a photo bucket gizmo....
I am old and not particularly nuts about those computer stuff. Although it was only 3 above and snowing today so I did have some time to try to get this thing to work.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...smallinbag.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...alloverall.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...llbuttopen.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...lbuttstock.jpg

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...psmallgear.jpg
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Float Pilot For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 AM

Ok I tried directly loading photos again,,,, NO DICE
Then I tried uploading the URLs from photo bucket... That did not work either.

I listed the URLs above to see if that works.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Hiker

Looks Good! I like how you did the attached the recoil pad with the buttons. Any info on doing that would be appreciated. Do you think its water tight?
The Following User Says Thank You to Spitfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 12:53 AM

I used 3/8ths screw-in upholstery snaps.

I drilled pilot holes, then screwed in the snap bases while I also had some epoxy in the threads and under the snap base.

After it dried ,,the tips of the screws protruded into the open space. So I used a dremil grinder and took off the points until they were flush.

The other part of the snaps comes in two pieces and you have to use a hammer and punch to affix the two pieces on each side of the rubber slip-on pad.

While the slip on pad is pretty tight, I would not bet on it being totally waterproof.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Hunter

SWEET ! BEETS MY OLD AR7s
Old 01-13-2012, 09:47 PM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,722 Posts

Nice.

You obviously gave some thought to this - the lanyard on the clip was a nice touch.

The one thing I would do is darken the stainless/aluminum. It doesn't have to be midnight black, but the contrast is pretty high - just about anything to cut down on that would be good IMO.

Good choice of rifles too - I think the Marlin has the AR7 beat by a country mile.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:33 AM

I thought about making it less flashy, but then again this is going into the back seat of my plane for real survival situations. Thus being seen and being found are fairly important. Plus I may need to find it should it be tossed about in the wreck. So blase orange would be just fine.
I have other firearms which are more suited to other less likely types of survival situations.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:43 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,646 Posts

good set-up. have you trued any super vels as stinger or interceptor in it?
Old 01-17-2012, 11:15 PM

I tried CCI-Stingers, Elys Target, Remington Target and Federal target ammo, CCI- Mini mag HPs and solids, WW- HPS and solids, Federal Bulk, some Sub-sonic Mexican stuff, And Even Remington faster stuff...Yellow Jacket I think...

The CCI-Stingers and CCI-mini mags gave 1.5 to 2.0 inch groups
the super expensive target ammo was all over the place. Like a 8 inch group... And it was so waxy that it jammed up the gun...

But the CCI made Blazer stuff made a half inch group at 50 yards for three five shot groups in a row.

So far it only likes the CCI- Blazer.

It is rather hard to hold steady at 10 below zero with mittens and no fore-stock. Plus it is so light that it seems to move with your heart-beat.

You also have to think about where your support hand fingers might be... It is easy for them it get in the way of the charging handle....
Old 01-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Liberty or Death

Great choice for a survival 22. I love what you did with the butt-stock storage compartment! I have always been a 10/22 guy but I may have to consider getting one of these now. How much do they typically go for?
Old 01-18-2012, 12:20 AM

I think I paid $280 for it... Oddly enough it was really hard to find one here in Alaska that was for sale....
Old 01-25-2012, 12:38 AM

PHOTO OF GROUPS AT 60 YARDS
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1327472748

Ok this is the third time I will try to post this. I lapped the bore. So now it shoots a few more types of 22 better. But it still has the 1st and last round flyers like many semi-auto seem to have. These are 7 shot groups at 60 yards across snow. 5 above zero... No malfunctions....
The squares are 1 inch by one inch
Old 01-25-2012, 09:21 AM
To the surface!

Thanked 6,538 Times in 2,722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
PHOTO OF GROUPS AT 60 YARDS
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...g?t=1327472748

Ok this is the third time I will try to post this. I lapped the bore. So now it shoots a few more types of 22 better. But it still has the 1st and last round flyers like many semi-auto seem to have. These are 7 shot groups at 60 yards across snow. 5 above zero... No malfunctions....
The squares are 1 inch by one inch

Trim off everything in the URL after the "JPG" file extension.

Are the "first" shots cold barrel?

If not cold, then are they where you cycle the action manually?

If so, try it where the "first" shot has been fed as a result of a previous shot - i.e., let the rifle feed it automatically. If the first shot is then much better, it is how the cartridge is fed from the magazine - maybe there is something shaving the bullet when you do that manually? If so, then maybe a feed ramp or whatever is distorting the bullet can be smoothed. You could also put the cartridge in by finger instead of from the magazine.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM

At temps near zero a 22lr has a hard time developing enough heat to make much of a difference. Particularly when only firing 7 shots at a time with a few minutes between strings.

You are correct in that many semi-autos chamber the manually loaded first shot differently enough that they go elsewhere. In this case you are probably correct that the different speed of the chambering is distorting the bullet nose a little differently. You can really see it with the Remington Vipers which have a weird shaped bullet with a flat nose followed by a sharp taper. While the old straight lead round nose Blazers seem to be affected the least.

By the way, I ran some across a chronograph, and the Blazers were nly going 1,065 fps from the 16 inch barrel and the Vipers / Yellow-Jackets were going 1,275 fps... They are advertized as going 1,500...

The last shots have the magazine follower dragging on the cartridge while being chambered and they also have the follower dragging on the bottom of the bolt as the action cycles.

This light little carbine is rather hard to hold steady since there is no fore-end and it is so light you can see your heart beat through the scope. It did not help that I had to take off my gloves to load the magazine...

I need a tutorial on photo posting.... I can do it on otehr sites but this one really baffles me...