Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Thru-Hiker

Default Mora 511 Mods

Advertise Here

Like some, I initially didn't care too much for the plastic sheath that came with the Mora 511. That being said, the survival mentality means trying to be resourceful and figuring out ways to use things for multiple purposes. So here is my feeble attempt, as I saw some possibilities in the Mora sheath:

First, I drilled a lanyard hole in the handle, countersunk it, and attached a paracord lanyard. Then I did a paracord wrap on the handle with just under 10' of cord. After the wrap on the handle, the increased diameter made the knife difficult to fully insert into the sheath. So I stuck a redwood plug into the sheath to stretch out the opening a tad and threw it in the oven for 5 min at 200 degrees. After taking it out and letting it cool, the knife slides in nicely and very snug on the paracord. I can turn it upside down and shake it and it won't come out.

Next, after seeing many custom knife sheaths that had a Firesteel loop attached I decided that I wanted one. Being a paramedic, I found a damaged and expired 3 cc syringe that was being thrown out and found it to be nearly the perfect size for a sheath for the Firesteel. A piece of plastic tubing from a hardware store should work as well. I merely melted and squeezed down the end just a bit to give it a constriction so the Firesteel wouldn't slide out. This provides ample friction and holds it firmly in place. I ground the spine of the knife blade flat to use it as a striker.

I then wrapped another 10' of paracord on the sheath to hold the Firesteel and it's sheath in place on the side of the Mora sheath. Also, because the belt loop on the sheath is too small for all but my narrowest belts, I fashioned one out of paracord. Then, having previously made my own PVC survival fishing kit for my BOB, I thought about the possibility of incorporating one into my knife sheath. So I wrapped 60' of 12 lbs test on it, then another 60' of 4 lbs fluorescent line a bit lower down. I covered these with one wrap of electrical tape to protect them. I decided to use a waterproof match container to hold some basic survival fishing supplies (Super Duper and Kastmaster lures, some hooks, sinkers, and trout worms. I also included six 20 lbs steel leaders for snares). I picked up some 3/4" elastic band from the Walmart sewing section and formed a strapping system using a hot glue gun. This slides onto the lower part of the sheath. Friction, along with the bump created by the fishing line hold it on fairly well, but I left a small tail of paracord from the wrap to tie it off and ensure that I don't lose it while hiking. Finally, I wrapped 5' of duct tape around around the container, and topped that with about 2 1/2' of fluorescent orange gaffers tape.

The paracord on the handle noticeably improves the comfort of the grip as I have fairly large hands, and also gives me some emergency cordage. I plan to replace the paracord on the sheath with some bankline, as I can wrap significantly more into the same area and is better suited for fishing uses. I also stuck a couple of Vaseline soaked cotton balls in straw containers for tinder and tucked them under the paracord on the sheath. You can see them in the rear view. The weight of the knife and sheath was 3.4 ounces before the mods, 8.2 ounces with everything on it. I haven't fished with it yet, but in practice the line pays off smoothly and it casts very well with only a small sinker attached.

This my first attempt at knife mods, and any comments or suggestions for improvement are welcome.

Rear view:

With fishing kit detached:
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DaFireMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Very nice work man. I've been wanting to do something similar but havent had the chance to set and think of ways to do this. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:10 PM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by william12 View Post
Very nice work man. I've been wanting to do something similar but havent had the chance to set and think of ways to do this. Thank you for sharing.
Thanks man. I'll be continuously evaluating the setup, as well as what I can do with my other knives.
Old 01-03-2012, 12:12 AM
Closed.

Thanked 26,070 Times in 10,981 Posts

That's very inventive

I have a small criticism though, if you ever have to use the paracord on the handle...... You risk losing your knife

OR is the wrap purely to improve the handle?
Old 01-03-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFireMedic View Post
I found a damaged and expired 3 cc syringe that was being thrown out and found it to be nearly the perfect size for a sheath for the Firesteel. A piece of plastic tubing from a hardware store should work as well. I merely melted and squeezed down the end just a bit to give it a constriction so the Firesteel wouldn't slide out. This provides ample friction and holds it firmly in place. I ground the spine of the knife blade flat to use it as a striker.
Looks great.
I would suggest one thing however, as you use the firesteel will it not remove material from the rod making it smaller? At this point the rod would nolonger be retained by the syringe. You may want to add some type of elastic/shockcord strap as well.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 AM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
I have a small criticism though, if you ever have to use the paracord on the handle...... You risk losing your knife

OR is the wrap purely to improve the handle?
Good observation and just the type of comments I'm looking for. The paracord does improve the feel and grip of the knife, so I plan to keep it on there. I will just need to make sure that if I ever get to the point where I use the cordage from the handle that I secure the lanyard to my belt to prevent losing the knife from the sheath until I can get it wrapped again. Also, I only spread the sheath in one direction and I think that the part of the sheath that grips the finger guard to hold the knife in is still functional. Once the paracord is removed, I believe the knife will still "click in" to the sheath as originally intended by Mora. Thanks, that's a good point to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteElder View Post
Looks great.
I would suggest one thing however, as you use the firesteel will it not remove material from the rod making it smaller? At this point the rod would nolonger be retained by the syringe. You may want to add some type of elastic/shockcord strap as well.
Thank you as well, also a good point. Yes, the rod will get smaller. The plastic on the Firesteel holder is crimped enough on the end that the Firesteel will need to get significantly smaller before its in jeopardy of falling out. Eventually, I will need to replace the Firesteel when it wears down too far, but in the mean time I will likely add a small retaining cord for extra protection as you have suggested.
The Following User Says Thank You to DaFireMedic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Thru-Hiker

Default Updated

I've updated it by replacing the 10' of paracord on the sheath with 75' of 165 lb bankline. Still looks decent I think and should be more functional. I have a couple wraps of electrical tape now around the Firesteel sheath, so I should be able to use it all without removing the Firesteel, and can remove 55' without unwrapping the Firesteel. I gained 2 oz of weight (8.4 oz now), but a lot more versatility I think.

I also updated the fishing kit to more of an all around survival kit with a few individually wrapped water purification tablets and thin quart size plastic bag.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM

Sweet. Me like!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:17 PM
IT'S A MADHOUSE!

Thanked 1,594 Times in 657 Posts

thumbs up!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
Double tap

Looks great...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:35 AM
Getting Ready

Great ideas.

Thanks for sharing.

T
Old 01-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Prepared

Nice job. Hadn't considered the sheath resizing technique you used, Very resourceful.
I flat ground the rough spine on mine for firestarting, drilled a lanyard hole AND a horizontal drain/leg loop hole in the sheat bottom. I did start with a lot of tall and short ranger bands on the sheath before wrapping mine. I find the rubber bands work great for holding a firesteel.
The Following User Says Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Prepared

how do you like the mora im thinking of one for our car kits
Old 01-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky walker View Post
how do you like the mora im thinking of one for our car kits
I honestly don't know how Mora sells them so cheap. Very sharp and they hold an edge like crazy. Mine was $10 including shipping. I think that Mora makes the best small fixed blades currently available, although I'm not as knife savvy as many on this forum. For ultralight hiking its my choice, although the mods I've made aren't exactly in the ultralight category.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:44 PM
Thru-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerweps View Post
Nice job. Hadn't considered the sheath resizing technique you used, Very resourceful.
I flat ground the rough spine on mine for firestarting, drilled a lanyard hole AND a horizontal drain/leg loop hole in the sheat bottom. I did start with a lot of tall and short ranger bands on the sheath before wrapping mine. I find the rubber bands work great for holding a firesteel.
Thanks for the encouragement. I hadn't considered a horizontal leg loop hole, I had just been running a leg loop under the loop in the elastic band that holds the waterproof container. That's a good idea, I'll probably drill one.