Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival gear buy, sell, trade and reviews section > Looking for - want to buy
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
The European Outdoorsman

Default Conventional 100 hour candle

Advertise Here

I have been searching for a decent priced candle for emergencies. the 2 long burning candles I have found were 100 hours, one used a liquid, which I didn't want, the other is a 3x6 inch pillar style conventional candle that boasts 100 hour burn time.

The issue is, other candles this size would have a burn time of 50 hours max. I would like to read reviews on the candle I mentioned, but I don't know the brand name. I only saw an image and a description. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Old 01-02-2012, 10:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,335 Posts

buy some solar path lights. ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sooner_Will_Survive For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 11:58 PM

Default Candles....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin44 View Post
I have been searching for a decent priced candle for emergencies. the 2 long burning candles I have found were 100 hours, one used a liquid, which I didn't want, the other is a 3x6 inch pillar style conventional candle that boasts 100 hour burn time.

The issue is, other candles this size would have a burn time of 50 hours max. I would like to read reviews on the candle I mentioned, but I don't know the brand name. I only saw an image and a description. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks
Candles are too dangerous. You would be better off to get a hand cranked LED lantern and a solar charger. Many many fires are started by candles. They are very dangerous when not used with care. During the stress of an emergency is not the time to fool around with them.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Calmez vers le bas

Thanked 22,775 Times in 8,992 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

Here's a 48 hour one http://www.basspro.com/Eclipse-Home-...0203613/135921

and an 80 hour one http://www.basspro.com/Eclipse-Home-...10203611/52997

They also have some that look like snowmen, Christmas trees etc.. that I bet will be on clearance soon.

Last edited by jfountain2; 01-03-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-05-2012, 10:40 PM

This one has a glass surrounding it.
http://www.sportys.com/PreferredLiving/product/14008
Old 01-09-2012, 12:58 PM

I don't know what the candles in glass jars with little pictures of Jesus or Mary are called but I know those last around six days, they sell them at the dollar store some don't have the picture. My grandma had one and I asked my cousin how long it burned she didnt know for sure but said around a week, I bought two cases of them and I tried to see how long it lasted, but someone blew it out half way, we relit it but I dont know exactly, but I'd definately say well over 100 hrs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dondiego124 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearguy68 View Post
Candles are too dangerous. You would be better off to get a hand cranked LED lantern and a solar charger. Many many fires are started by candles. They are very dangerous when not used with care. During the stress of an emergency is not the time to fool around with them.
Candles are no more dangerous than a gun or a knife; those things will be used in an emergency too, if you kill yourself with any one of those things maybe you weren't meant to survive... Eventually the batteries/capacitors in the hand crank LED lights go bad and have to be replaced, I have had two that you had to break open to get to the batteries, I support and have both cranking LED lights, and candles.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dondiego124 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 PM

I have purchased the parfin candles(?) from restraunt supply store. They are a lot like the ones from emgerency supplies. But a lot cheaper. They have like 36 in each box. I need to get back to the store and get some more, the first box I gave some to each kid in case the lights go out.
We have a restraunt supply store that I go to in Milwaukee when I get a chance.
PJD
Old 01-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Proverbs 22:3

Thanked 1,150 Times in 346 Posts

Plumbers candles last a very long time, also.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Dondiegoe nailed it.. All too often we look for something w a logo or trade name on it, I have seen the candles he refers to, and they are way, way cheap, if your power goes out, the dark does'nt know where the light came from, only that you fixed it. Besides, the wife and kids will adore you reassurance... Otzie
The Following User Says Thank You to Otzie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 09:02 PM
KD8MTF

I own several of the UCO candle lanterns and a supply of the candles. I love them! I also have a couple of the new "micro" UCO candle lanterns, these use regular "tea" candles. I just got these for xmas and I have yet to really test them out yet.

"Sterno" makes some of them 3"x6" pillar candles, they are advertised as 60hrs. on the lable. I bought about a dozen of them on sale at Kroger for just under $3 ea.

I also have in that bag several packs of "Emergency Candles", 6.5 x 11/16", box of 10, they are "Gun Show" surplus, exact same packaging, except 6 boxes are made by one maufacturer and the other 4 are made by another manufacturer, both made in USA.

Also have some Solar Yard lights, bought on sale from Wally World, and of course, Plenty of "Chem" lights, of never ending variety. I think I even have some "Chem" light bracelets and necklaces in there.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,125 Posts

As far as emergency lighting as a contingency should the GRID FAIL for any number of reasons...and I am sure that this had been mentioned before in the plethora of posts on the subject...a reminder. However, if you have ANY EMERGENCY LIGHTING under such circumstances, be assured that said "lights" will attract many moths to the flame, so to speak. With that in mind, it is advisable to have a few BIG ROLLS of the black LAWN AND LEAF BAGS to utilize as INTERIOR BLACK-OUT material...and a staple gun..to cover interior windows and door-lights (window panes). It will block all escaping ambient light far better than shades, blinds and curtains...cheap security.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LongInTheTooth For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 AM
The European Outdoorsman

Thanks for all the input...Here are my thoughts/ reasoning...

I have seen the aforementioned 100 hour candle with some sort of liquid fuel in a glass container. This is specifically the one I will NEVER buy for one reason.

If you have it lit, know it over by accident, the fuel goes everywhere and spreads the fire very quickly. However, a candle when knocked over may or may not cause a fire and if it does, it won't spread as quick as one fueled with a liquid fuel.

The wax can be reused (of course not all candles can) and remaking a candle is possible.

The candles which have religious figures on them are often under the category of "church candles" on some websites.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:43 PM
Recent Blog:

Default emergency candles

i pick them up at garage sells in the summer and also at 2Nd hand store for next to nothing.Each week i make a round to those places .let them know that have some kind of hobby,like making candles in mason jars and of course we don't used a jar for that.the one place that i go to now save's both for me.look on you -tube and see how to make your own candles.Also when you are there look though the knife box.you can find some nice old school knifes.good luck and ? just ask
Old 02-17-2012, 11:18 PM

I work in a candle factory. We make 120 hour candles that are about 3x6. I think it depends on the type of wax used and possibly additives. We used pure vegetable wax and pure essential oils and extracts.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:30 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLsurvivalist83 View Post
I work in a candle factory. We make 120 hour candles that are about 3x6. I think it depends on the type of wax used and possibly additives. We used pure vegetable wax and pure essential oils and extracts.
website please?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 AM

A couple of people mentioned the dollar store candles so I thought i'd give some input. You can order them online in a case of 12 for $12.

http://www.dollartree.com/floral-dec...5635/index.pro

These are clear. They also sell the ones with jesus if your into that sort of thing. If you have a dollartree in your area you can do store pickup or they ship UPS.

Edit: For those worried about safety you could do tea-lights in a large glass candle holder. Really hard to knock over, about as safe as you can get imho.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustind View Post
website please?
Normally I wouldn't want to advertise on the site, but since you asked:

http://www.khalldesigns.com/products...inted-candles/

These are the 120 hours. They are way to expensive to be buying as emergency candles. But they are great for gifts. As I said they are 100% vegetable wax grown by American farmers, scented with all natural scents, and hand poured by myself and my coworkers here in St. Louis, MO.

That being said, I have lots and lots of left over wax that'd I'd be interested in bartering. When we are making the candles, we have large melters full of 200 lbs of scented wax. We fill a pitcher under the spigot, and pour from there. The spigots tend to dribble a bit after filling the pitcher so we put a cardboard box under it to catch the drippings. SO I have boxes ranging from 4-11lbs of wax. It is a mixture of all of our scents, so it wouldn't be good for everyday use candles (although I don't think it smells bad.) But, It'd be good for making emergency candles, or fire starters. The big thing you need to know beforehand is that there may be some trash in it. Sometimes as we're going we may throw some wick trimmings in the box, or even the occasional shop towel (blue paper towel). So, it'd have to be melted then poured threw a strainer before making candles. I would figure about 1lb loss per box, because of the trash and the fact that the cardboard box is absorbing some of the wax. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to trade. I'm interested in pretty much anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to STLsurvivalist83 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 02:11 AM

Hey All... This is an old thread, but I wish to add a new approach... I recently learned that old crayons, broken crayons are a great source for wax! I think of all the yard sales walked past that had 'em. Just my 2 cents but it may be worth posting at your local community board (post office), or neighborhood meeting to get a pool going... Otzie...