Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Prepared

Default How do I choose and mount a sling for my AR-15?

Advertise Here

I got an AR-15 recently and would like to get a sling for it incase I ever have to hike long distances with it. It currently doesn't have mounts. Also, I hear slings can be used to aid accuracy, but I'm not sure what type or how to use it.

So...what do I need?
*Mounting points?
*Tools?
*Single point? Double point? Bungee? Brand? Quick connect?

I'd also be interested in getting slings for my synthetic 10/22 and collapsible stock Mossberg 500 Persuader.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:37 AM
I love this forum

The possibilities are as endless as there are grains of sand on the beach. I personally prefer the viking tactics 2 point sling on my AR-15.

*That said. Does your rifle have a railed handguard?
*what kind of stock is on the rifle?

If it's an M4gery with a railed handguard, which I'm gonna assume, as they are the most common. I'd reccomend a similar setup to what I did to my issue M4 while overseas to make it more comfortable.

I used this part as a rear sling mount.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-SLING-ADAPTER

and this part as the front sling mount, on the railed handguard.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...VEL-RAIL-MOUNT

The only tools required were an allen wrench. It made mounting the Vtac 2 point wide padded sling to my M4 very easy. If you do some shopping around, you can find similar mounts cheaper.

That being said. This is only one possible solution. And the best sling for you is the one you are more comfortable with. I personally reccomend aginst single point setups, as you will find they pop you in the groin, and are difficult to run with. And I don't know anyone that knows what they are doing that actually uses a 3 point setup.

There's my .02 Take it for what it is. Just an opinion. I've tried several setups, and the above setup is what works the best for what I liked.

Cheers!
Old 12-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Prepared

Thanks. Yup- M4gery.

Those mounts are kind of expensive for what they are. The review on the front mount said it was tough to get on, too. Does the rear mount interfere with use of the charging handle? Would I be better off getting a base plate with a mount? Are those tough to install?

Are there any features I should be aware of for the sling itself? Padding? Width? Bungee? Clips?

Thanks for the tip on the 2-point. Since it sounds like you carried one all the time, any tips on the best way to carry and how to use the sling for stabilization?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:49 AM
I love this forum

Those mounts are a little expinsive, the ones I actually used were made by MI. But still, they are probally going to fall in the $30 range each. The QD swivel mounts worked the best for me, as they allow the angles to change due to carry.

As far as that Vtac sling goes, it's got a tail on it and an adjustment lock. So if you are walking around in the low ready, you pull the tail, and it snugs up to your chest. If you need it, you pull the release and push out the weapon, and it's ready to go. The padded part of it is about 1.5" wide, so it rides a little more comfortably.
JP rifles web page shows the carry positions, and how to stabilize with that sling.
http://www.jprifles.com/1.5.1.1_slings.php

Found the actual mounts I used with that sling.

Front
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwe...p/mctar-08.htm

Rear
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Midwe...p/mctar-30.htm

Edit. Forgot to mention, I'm not a fan of bungee's, or clips, as eventually they wear out.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:28 PM
Prepared

A little more $ than I expected, but great advice. Thanks a lot for the tips.

Are there any cheap ways to sling my shotgun or .22?
Old 12-30-2011, 07:09 PM
I love this forum

Does the shotgun and .22 have sling mounts installed? A .22 is usually fine with a standard hunting sling. Shotguns ride well in a pack scabbard, but there are just as many ways to put a sling on them as any other firearm.

If this is the firearm you are going to carry and depend on, don't cheap out. The saying is "buy once, cry once" My M4 took a big drop from a pretty high spot, (due to stupid armory idiots) and the mount is what took the brunt of the landing. It was marked a little, but still worked like a champ.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,371 Times in 1,434 Posts

As far as using the sling for stabilization, assuming youre right-handed, you would run your LEFT hand through the sling from the RIGHT side. This will cause the sling to make a half-wrap around your forearm, just flex your forearm to the left as youre holding the rifle normally to stabilize.
The tricky part is finding the right sling length adjustment to comfortably carry the rifle, while still having it short enough use it to stabilize without having to make changes to the sling length every time you take it off your shoulder. But that just takes a little trial and error and playing with it until you find a good balance in the two.

Personally I have tried the technique with not only my 20" AR but also various hunting rifles and I can honestly say that it doesnt help that much, at least for me. Any situation where youre having to be that precise with a shot would probably be better suited for shooting prone or braced on some other platform (tree, car, wall, etc). JMHO
Old 12-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I love this forum

Carve... I'm in MA. If you are local to me, I'll let you try out everything I have, and even pick through my "spare parts bin" of stuff that didn't work for me, but may work for you.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Trapper

2 point sling with QD's. Walk a few miles through the woods with your gear and you will find out that tacticool stuff doesnt always work...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:14 AM
Prepared

So, I pulled my AR-15 out of it's hiding spot, and there is a mount out by the butt plate of the stock (adjustable M4 style stock). Is that OK to use, or should it be on the buffer tube ring?

The Ruger .22 doesn't have anything...just a plain synthetic stock.

Sorry- I'm in the southwest...nowhere near MA. Thanks for the offer though.

The Mossberg has an M4 style stock, but the only mount is on that stock...just a little nub with a hole through it you could put a pin through.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:23 AM
I love this forum

The buffer tube ring is closer to the reciever, and you can mount the sling on the side. That's my prefrence. The standard GI loop on that M4 type stock has never worked well for me.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widnerkj View Post
The possibilities are as endless as there are grains of sand on the beach. I personally prefer the viking tactics 2 point sling on my AR-15.

*That said. Does your rifle have a railed handguard?
*what kind of stock is on the rifle?

If it's an M4gery with a railed handguard, which I'm gonna assume, as they are the most common. I'd reccomend a similar setup to what I did to my issue M4 while overseas to make it more comfortable.

I used this part as a rear sling mount.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...-SLING-ADAPTER

and this part as the front sling mount, on the railed handguard.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=4...VEL-RAIL-MOUNT

The only tools required were an allen wrench. It made mounting the Vtac 2 point wide padded sling to my M4 very easy. If you do some shopping around, you can find similar mounts cheaper.

That being said. This is only one possible solution. And the best sling for you is the one you are more comfortable with. I personally reccomend aginst single point setups, as you will find they pop you in the groin, and are difficult to run with. And I don't know anyone that knows what they are doing that actually uses a 3 point setup.

There's my .02 Take it for what it is. Just an opinion. I've tried several setups, and the above setup is what works the best for what I liked.

Cheers!
I'm considering the VT 2pnt as well and my rifle also came with a forward buffer tube attachment point, as well as a similar piece for a front QD. With this set up, it seems like both mounting points are going to be relatively forward when compared to every VT video I've seen. Those videos always attach at the very rear of the butt stock and rear of the barrel.

So, how do you find these more forward attachment points in terms of balance (looks better balanced to me)? And is there enough slack since forward attachment points need more sling length?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM
I love this forum

For me with the rear mount close to the reciever, and the front mount as far forward as possible gives the best balance. My personal AR-15 has a heavy fluted barrel, so the weight is more forward biased. Also, on my issue M4 I did notice the weight was slightly barrel heavy. Seeing as how your rifle is an M4gery, you have a 16" barrel, not a 14.5" So I'd wager a guess that your rifle is barrel heavy as well.
Keep in mind that the standard M4 adj stock is very lightweight, so there isn't much adding weight to the rear of the rifle. And besides, you do want to carry the rifle in the "low ready".
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM

Agree on all the balance issues, esp, with my 1-4 scope and stock weighing nothing, but having forward mounts points (toward front of barrel & rear of receiver) seems to need a lot more sling length. Does the VT 2 pnt have adequate length for this config, and still be able utilize the full adjustment range?

If yes, what's your height and weight?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2012, 03:31 PM
I love this forum

There is far more than enough material in the Vtac sling. It works on my SPR configured rifle, as well as the 24" varmit setup. I'm only 5'8" and 150 pounds. I wish I was bigger so I could have more adjustment with the sling. Even if you are 7 foot tall, and 300 pounds, you are going to have to cut the sling down to suit you. The larger you are, the more adjustment you will have.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Got it... much appreciated, I'm the same size.