Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-24-2011, 11:03 AM

Default What is the best home defense ammo in .22 caliber

Advertise Here

If all you have for a home defense rile is a Ruger 10/22, what would be the best ammo to buy with the most stopping power? I know a 22 is a little light weight , but with a carbine, I can pump out 10 shots pretty quick and I want the biggest punch I can get.
Old 12-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Hardcore survival

CCI Stingers 1640 FPS
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to basecampUSA For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM
I love this forum

Stingers are OK but a CCI Mini Mag is cheaper. Close up you will not have little drop in velocity. I've had good luck with CCI. Only one dud in the bunch so far and it still came out the end; it sounded like a sub-sonic round.

Sub Sonic make very little noise. It sounds like a BB Gun. Most of the noise a gun makes is the projectile coming out at Super Sonic velocity. The CRACK is mostly the small Sonic Boom created by the projectile. Sub Sonic are good when you don't want to scare the game.

All of these are copper plated which is better for your barrel:
f/s
1050 Sub Sonic
1235 Mini Mag - slower because it's heavier
1260 Mini Mag HP - hollow points are lighter and are a bit faster
1640 Stinger - it is a hollow point and as said this is the fastest, this would have the best knock down power but a 22 on a large animal...

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx

I believe Wally Wurld carries both the Mini Mag HP & Stinger. So they're pretty common. Check Rural King if you have one, they recently started carrying CCI; Tractor Supply does not sell ammunition.

For larger game you want a 7.62mm / 30 cal or bigger. Which is why the 45 ACP & 9mm Luger were popular with military & law enforcement.

Remember that a 22LR will not penetrate much. You're going to need something bigger for that.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Really?

Thanked 10,223 Times in 4,916 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

IMO, nobody wants to get shot with anything. I'd say that the ammo that shoot well in your gun( least duds and best cycling) would be the one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to letsgetreal For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 12:23 PM
Life, Liberty,& Happiness

Thanked 1,200 Times in 445 Posts

Perhaps alternate the slugs with those snake charmer shot shell rounds.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
IMO, nobody wants to get shot with anything. I'd say that the ammo that shoot well in your gun( least duds and best cycling) would be the one.
I think his quote about duds would be the exact reason I would not want to use a rimfire as a home defense weapon. I have had to many incidents with .22 semi autos over 20 plus years including the Ruger 10/22 not firing or failing to feed. Start saving you money for a used Glock in 40 S&W. Just put back 40 dollars a month and you will have the money for one in 9 months.

http://www.ombexpress.com/p-11540-pr...five-mags.aspx
The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,260 Times in 33,010 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by basecampUSA View Post
CCI Stingers 1640 FPS
Stingers and the other hypervelocity "varmint" loads are the worst possible choice for self defense against larger critters. They are optimized to expand quickly and dump all their energy quickly, without much in the way of penetration.

That works just fine for the small animals that they are designed for. But it's the exact opposite of what's required to be effective on large ones. For the same reason that a varmint round in a centerfire rifle is not a good deer hunting cartridge.

Paper numbers mean nothing. The bullet has to get to the vitals in order to take them out. Energy doesn't do that. Tissue damage does.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 01:18 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 11,739 Times in 4,911 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post

Stingers and the other hypervelocity "varmint" loads are the worst possible choice for self defense against larger critters. They are optimized to expand quickly and dump all their energy quickly, without much in the way of penetration.

That works just fine for the small animals that they are designed for. But it's the exact opposite of what's required to be effective on large ones. For the same reason that a varmint round in a centerfire rifle is not a good deer hunting cartridge.

Paper numbers mean nothing. The bullet has to get to the vitals in order to take them out. Energy doesn't do that. Tissue damage does.
I'd wondered if a .22 hollow point actually expands, or not.
Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetreal View Post
What he said. I dont think there is going to be much of a difference, Id just make sure it works in the rifle
The Following User Says Thank You to prepared0ne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Makes a bit a sense thanks for the info.
The Following User Says Thank You to incognetius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 05:20 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,361 Times in 6,635 Posts

CCI Mini Mags
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
I'd wondered if a .22 hollow point actually expands, or not.
Some of them expand too well! From a rifle, anyway. In the old days, the best combination of expansion and penetration was the CCI dimple nose bullets. I still have a bunch of them. I don't know what to recommend today. There are so many new loads.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 09:04 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,723 Times in 1,106 Posts

Wasn't there a .22 round loaded just for self defense a while back that was presegmented so that upon hitting flesh it broke into 3 sections that took seperate paths through internal organs? I can't remember the name of it.
ETA; found it. CCI took over making it. It used to have a differant name by another company but then I remembered CCI took over it. They now market it as a small game load instead of a self defense round.http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0064
Old 12-24-2011, 09:08 PM
I love this forum

Talking Second That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Shane View Post
CCI Mini Mags
CCI Mini Mags non-Hollow Point.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Doubts Most Everything

Thanked 2,940 Times in 1,616 Posts

Quote:
Stingers and the other hypervelocity "varmint" loads are the worst possible choice for self defense against larger critters. They are optimized to expand quickly and dump all their energy quickly, without much in the way of penetration. ....
Yep, standard 40 grain copper washed round nose bullet is about as good as it'll get. Since CCI mini-mag is as reliable as any made, it's an obvious choice.

- OS
The Following User Says Thank You to Oh Shoot For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 11:16 AM
Maximus

Thanked 14,159 Times in 6,254 Posts

Another vote for .40 grain round nose that feeds RELIABLY out of that 10/22. That means zero FTF or FTE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vicdotcom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 01:41 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryp View Post
Wasn't there a .22 round loaded just for self defense a while back that was presegmented so that upon hitting flesh it broke into 3 sections that took seperate paths through internal organs? I can't remember the name of it.
ETA; found it. CCI took over making it. It used to have a differant name by another company but then I remembered CCI took over it. They now market it as a small game load instead of a self defense round.http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...=1&loadNo=0064
Quick Shok. And it's just like the Stinger. Optimized to work in small game. The tiny lightweight fragments don't penetrate deep enough to make it into human organs.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 01:46 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh Shoot View Post
Yep, standard 40 grain copper washed round nose bullet is about as good as it'll get. Since CCI mini-mag is as reliable as any made, it's an obvious choice.

- OS
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Another vote for .40 grain round nose that feeds RELIABLY out of that 10/22. That means zero FTF or FTE.
An especially good point. Rimfire priming, by it's very nature, isn't as reliable as centerfire priming. So the most reliable ammo that feeds best in the gun is critical. Mini Mags have given me the least duds of any other brand I've used, but over the years, I have still encountered one now and then. If my life was riding on the round going off, I'd want them in the gun. And as luck would have it, they feed better in some of my guns than most any other round.

Since I don't intend to use a .22 for self defense, I stock more Federal bulk pack. It has more duds, but it feeds just as reliably, is cheaper by far, and is much easier to find. Or I should say was easier to find. Walmart used to always stock it locally, but now they don't. All they sell is Winchester or Remington. Though they still have the Federal Automatch in 325 round packs. It's another good round, just a little costlier.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 10,888 Times in 3,356 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas036 View Post
"If all you have for a home defense rifle is a Ruger 10/22, what would be the best ammo to buy with the most stopping power? I know a 22 is a little light weight , but with a carbine, I can pump out 10 shots pretty quick and I want the biggest punch I can get."
Mike,

I agree with everything you said in your post.

That said, if a person intends to use a .22 caliber rifle for a home defense firearm, and that is a given - for whatever reason - in that case I would recommend the CCI Mini-Mag rounds in a home defense role.

They are (in my experience) more reliable than standard .22 bulk pack rounds, and let's face it:

If you have a 30 round magazine in the rifle and are in the act of emptying said magazine into a home invader, I suspect it will be sufficient to pursuade said home invader that this was not their wisest choice, and perhaps they ought to find somewhere else to go to as quickly as they can withdraw.

I doubt any home invader will scoff and say "HA, you imbeciles, I perceive you are only shooting me with 30 rounds of .22 long rifle, and hence I will ignore your defense and continue my attack!!"
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,409 Posts

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Catfish11 For This Useful Post: