Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 12-20-2011, 01:46 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Default what is a good .357 revolver for self defense?

Advertise Here

im looking for a self defense revolver preferably chambered in .357 (so i can also shoot .38 spl). im in law enforcement and am not allowed to carry my personal sidearm. Because the sidearm im issued has proven itself to be unreliable on multiple occasions, ive decided a revolver concealed in my boot or my ankle would be a good back up (even though we are not allowed to carry backups, id rather be alive with and fired on a procedure violation than dead).

i was thinking anywhere along the lines of a snub nose up to a 3-4 inch barrel revolver. however ive never owned a revolver and have no clue where to start looking.

anyone with suggestions?

btw. i prefer american but am willing to explore other options
Old 12-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,233 Posts

Check out the Ruger LCR and the Triple K ankle holster.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:06 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,335 Times in 1,870 Posts

The Smith & Wesson Model 60-15 3 .357 Magnum J-frame Revolver looks to be about what you are describing. Holsters for it can be tricky to find but they are out there. It's a comparatively old design that has withstood the test of time. I'm not to sure about it being a boot gun though unless you have a built in holster for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Grump For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,293 Posts

I recently went in the market for one to purchase. Taking what I knew before and doing research, I settled on a Taurus....mostly because my long term love relationship with a Colt Python would have put me in the poor house

S&W are also a fine choice, but since I previously owned a Taurus in .38, I was quite aware of the quality and sturdiness of it. Also, the 357 I purhcased is nearly identical to my 38 model in it...same lines, feel in my hand etc. And I never had a single issue with my other Taurus.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Dont Tread On Me

anybody heard anything about the chiappa rhino ?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:17 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitterroot Saint View Post
I recently went in the market for one to purchase. Taking what I knew before and doing research, I settled on a Taurus....mostly because my long term love relationship with a Colt Python would have put me in the poor house

S&W are also a fine choice, but since I previously owned a Taurus in .38, I was quite aware of the quality and sturdiness of it. Also, the 357 I purhcased is nearly identical to my 38 model in it...same lines, feel in my hand etc. And I never had a single issue with my other Taurus.
whenever the colt python is mentioned my mouth begins to salavate
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwcharger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,744 Times in 2,366 Posts

Because the sidearm im issued has proven itself to be unreliable on multiple occasions,

Specifically which firearm are you talking about?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:22 PM

S&W or Ruger would be my first choices for a back up revolver.
However, my first priority would be to get my primary weapon reliable. There is absolutely no reason that any agency shouldn't have every officer outfitted with a reliable weapon.

Does your agency have a certified armorer? If not you might want to consider volunteering for that position. In most cases the cost isn't that bad and you might even be able to find a grant to cover the cost.

Best of luck and thank for your service!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevem174 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Sugar-free

Thanked 5,936 Times in 2,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcharger View Post
anybody heard anything about the chiappa rhino ?
YES! What an awesome little revolver! I fondled one at the last gun show, and nearly bought it. Flat sides, mean looking little bugger with that under-barrel thing going on. I like it.

What is your duty pistol? Does your Chief know that your duty pistol is jamming? You better get your weapon to your armorer, quick. That isn't something that should be happening. Really, as a cop you really shouldn't tolerate a jamming duty pistol. The citizens you are sworn to protect surely wouldn't tolerate it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM

I love my ruger sp 101. Still has the weight of a "real" gun. I put a wooden set of houge grips on mostly for looks. Anyway its a great little gun with firepower! I also have a ruger lcr,and its a great gun,but if I had to pick one it would be the sp 101.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shawn .223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:25 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,914 Times in 1,293 Posts

Quote:
whenever the colt python is mentioned my mouth begins to salavate
A couple years ago I was head of security at a guberment lab, one of the officers under me (a retired cop) had sold his service Python for 200 the month before I started there. I had a weird urge to choke either him for not selling it to me, or choking myself for not starting there a month sooner
Old 12-20-2011, 02:26 PM
Recent Blog:

I would think about a S&W 642. It's just a 38 but with the right defensive round I think it would even out. It is not a taget pistol it's a GTFO gun. I have carried it as primary and on the ankle with no problem.
Watch old Hickoks video and see what you think.

The Following User Says Thank You to sticky fingaz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEZO View Post
Because the sidearm im issued has proven itself to be unreliable on multiple occasions,

Specifically which firearm are you talking about?
i hate to mention the firearm model and make at the risk of a flame war but it is sig 229 in .357 sig. now mind you im by no means new to firearms, i can do almost all gunsmithing short of the most advanced metal working, and ive been competing for years.

ive already spoke with the chief about it but because im still on the "new side" of my career, im not taken seriously.

plus i belive "1 gun is none, 2 guns are 1, and 3 is adequate"
Old 12-20-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder View Post
YES! What an awesome little revolver! I fondled one at the last gun show, and nearly bought it. Flat sides, mean looking little bugger with that under-barrel thing going on. I like it.

What is your duty pistol? Does your Chief know that your duty pistol is jamming? You better get your weapon to your armorer, quick. That isn't something that should be happening. Really, as a cop you really shouldn't tolerate a jamming duty pistol. The citizens you are sworn to protect surely wouldn't tolerate it!
And does he know about it in writing?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stevem174 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,536 Times in 4,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn .223 View Post
I love my ruger sp 101. Still has the weight of a "real" gun. I put a wooden set of houge grips on mostly for looks. Anyway its a great little gun with firepower! I also have a ruger lcr,and its a great gun,but if I had to pick one it would be the sp 101.
I have a SP101 also and I agree that it is a great gun.........but not for ankle carry.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hungry For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:37 PM
Sugar-free

Quote:
i hate to mention the firearm model and make at the risk of a flame war but it is sig 229 in .357 sig. now mind you im by no means new to firearms, i can do almost all gunsmithing short of the most advanced metal working, and ive been competing for years.

ive already spoke with the chief about it but because im still on the "new side" of my career, im not taken seriously.

plus i belive "1 gun is none, 2 guns are 1, and 3 is adequate"
Get it in writing, this is something your cheif has to address!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:39 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
S&W or Ruger would be my first choices for a back up revolver.
However, my first priority would be to get my primary weapon reliable. There is absolutely no reason that any agency shouldn't have every officer outfitted with a reliable weapon.

Does your agency have a certified armorer? If not you might want to consider volunteering for that position. In most cases the cost isn't that bad and you might even be able to find a grant to cover the cost.

Best of luck and thank for your service!
we do have an armorer but he is not certified by any organization or sponsored organization. we are a rather small county (somewhere in the south) and everything is very informal around the department, except when it comes to firearms (and for god knows what reason, idk) ive offered to be the armorer but because of the relationship the chief has with the current officer in charge of it, i doubt that it will happen. (i find that unfortunate because this particular officer in the armorer position really just uses the position as a way to advertise his ccw class to the public via the department)
The Following User Says Thank You to mwcharger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Quote:
Get it in writing, this is something your cheif has to address!
i know. thats what my S.O.P. says as well but you have to understand that the type of people im working with are not exactly gun friendly type of people and rarely if ever practice with their own firearms.

i even asked if i could carry my 1911 (which im qualified off duty), my glock , or my xd, or any other model would be acceptable and was told "no". however the investigators, and older officers carry their own personal weapons. (which in my opinion is an obvious double standard"

im trying not to step on any toes because i am fairly new there, but im not gonna die because of their nonsensical policy.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM
Sugar-free

Quote:
i know. thats what my S.O.P. says as well but you have to understand that the type of people im working with are not exactly gun friendly type of people and rarely if ever practice with their own firearms.

i even asked if i could carry my 1911 (which im qualified off duty), my glock , or my xd, or any other model would be acceptable and was told "no". however the investigators, and older officers carry their own personal weapons. (which in my opinion is an obvious double standard"

im trying not to step on any toes because i am fairly new there, but im not gonna die because of their nonsensical policy.
I understand the position you're in. Sucks. Maybe your best bet would be to find a good competent gunsmith in the area, and see if he can go through your SIG and find out why it's not reliable. The chief would never have to know.
Of course, I'd still get the .357...........a little insurance never hurts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cannon Fodder For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Dont Tread On Me

Unhappy

Quote:
I understand the position you're in. Sucks. Maybe your best bet would be to find a good competent gunsmith in the area, and see if he can go through your SIG and find out why it's not reliable. The chief would never have to know.
Of course, I'd still get the .357...........a little insurance never hurts.
and thats what i was thinking. id like to have and not need it than need it and not have it. id rather risk being fired than risk death. ive spoken with several of my friends who either compete or are licensed gunsmiths and they all seem to believe that the malfunctions are based on a design flaw with the pistol. apparently the .357 sig just doent agree with the high bore axis and feed angle. ive chamfered the chamber and polished the feed ramp as much as possible and have had some improvement but my confidence in the weapon is shaken. i would honestly just prefer to carry my 1911.