Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Prepared

Default What's an affordable light for a Mossberg 500?

Advertise Here

I have a collapsible stock, short-barrel Mossber 500 "Persuader" for my primary home defense weapon. I'd like to get a light for it to better identify whatever I'm shooting at. Is there anything half way decent that's half way affordable?

A laser is a plus, and something bright enough to dazzle is a plus, but neither is required.

I know Wally world has a "Centerpoint" universal light-laser combo for only $40. It is supposed to clam to a 1" scope tube, but I figure it'd also be able to bolt to the magazine of my Mossberg. Anyone familiar with those? Would the shock ruin it after a few shots?
Old 12-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I have a collapsible stock, short-barrel Mossber 500 "Persuader" for my primary home defense weapon. I'd like to get a light for it to better identify whatever I'm shooting at. Is there anything half way decent that's half way affordable?

A laser is a plus, and something bright enough to dazzle is a plus, but neither is required.

I know Wally world has a "Centerpoint" universal light-laser combo for only $40. It is supposed to clam to a 1" scope tube, but I figure it'd also be able to bolt to the magazine of my Mossberg. Anyone familiar with those? Would the shock ruin it after a few shots?
Heres a link to a flashlight that mounts to a shotgun mag tube and has light, light+laser, laser, and defensive strobe modes. Its $30 at D*ck's and Ive been wanting to get it for a while now. And everywhere Ive seen it sold has had good reviews on it.

Oh and it has a pressure switch on a cord.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/pr...ox&003=3933188
Old 12-19-2011, 01:49 PM

I know you said "affordable". I ended up getting a Streamlight TLR-1s with mount for about $120. If I'm really going to use my HD shotgun for a life or death situation I want something that very high quality and can stand up to the recoil of a 12 Gauge blast. It is around 220 lumens (very bright), no laser (I don't want laser as I think it would just mess up my aim), has a strobe feature.

I've heard OK things about Nebo and UTG

This might be decent too - $47. Then again...for me, if I'm spending $50 I just spend $120. Over my lifetime the extra $70 isn't worth it. I drop $70 on an expensive meal with the Mrs.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:10 PM

Have you checked www.mossberg500parts.com
Old 12-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,674 Times in 800 Posts

Some of the new pump Mossys come with a light in the pump (factory Mossberg, can't even get it aftermarket I'm told...). My buddy has one, it's bright as f***, has great range, and has a strobe mode. Blinds the living hell out of you. Might be worth saving up and swapping pumps if that's an option for you.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Liberty or Death

Funny you ask this, seeing I just got a light for my Mossberg (Roadblocker with collapsable stock) last night!

I also started out with the Nebo light/laser. It was a piece of junk. The cord was busted, so i just used the button on the side. The light was bright, however each time you pressed the button it cycled light/laser/light and laser/strobe/off. If you had the light on and needed to turn it off you had to go through the cycles. Also, since both of our shotguns have the heat sink, it is very hard to mount the light. I had to mount it to just behind the sling mount on the barrel screw at the end of the magazine. The laser could be pretty close, AKA you could fire a waist level shot at 10' or less, but further than that you were out of luck.

So now I have upgraded. I recently (last month) went to the Blackwater 3 Day shotgun course and tried out a few different flashlight setups, and found the best for my budget would be mounting a pistol flashlight.

I mounted a Hilight P10S to a Magpul 5-slot polymer picatinny rail. This thing is bright, seems pretty well built (metal casing, plastic lens). Also very easy to flip on and off, plus a separate strobe mode. I can remove it easily, and you could even put it on a standard size pistol. $50 bucks isn't too bad...

In case you were wondering, i took off the nylon strap and reused two of the screws for the magpul picatinny rail. Very secure.

I have not shot the gun yet, and although not as robust as a streamlight it sure as heck will perform better than the Nebo!.

I'll post the links for both parts, and a Youtube review from someone who didn't like the fact when you lay the gun down the light turns on (but if you lay it down the other way you don't have to worry about that, so it doesn't bother me).

http://youtu.be/ewnHUJmXiTg
http://amzn.com/B0036S5W42
http://amzn.com/B003F6EMQO
Attached Thumbnails
PC210246.jpg   PC210252.jpg  
Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rights_Of_Man View Post
Funny you ask this, seeing I just got a light for my Mossberg (Roadblocker with collapsable stock) last night!

I also started out with the Nebo light/laser. It was a piece of junk. The cord was busted, so i just used the button on the side. The light was bright, however each time you pressed the button it cycled light/laser/light and laser/strobe/off. If you had the light on and needed to turn it off you had to go through the cycles. Also, since both of our shotguns have the heat sink, it is very hard to mount the light. I had to mount it to just behind the sling mount on the barrel screw at the end of the magazine. The laser could be pretty close, AKA you could fire a waist level shot at 10' or less, but further than that you were out of luck.

So now I have upgraded. I recently (last month) went to the Blackwater 3 Day shotgun course and tried out a few different flashlight setups, and found the best for my budget would be mounting a pistol flashlight.

I mounted a Hilight P10S to a Magpul 5-slot polymer picatinny rail. This thing is bright, seems pretty well built (metal casing, plastic lens). Also very easy to flip on and off, plus a separate strobe mode. I can remove it easily, and you could even put it on a standard size pistol. $50 bucks isn't too bad...

In case you were wondering, i took off the nylon strap and reused two of the screws for the magpul picatinny rail. Very secure.

I have not shot the gun yet, and although not as robust as a streamlight it sure as heck will perform better than the Nebo!.

I'll post the links for both parts, and a Youtube review from someone who didn't like the fact when you lay the gun down the light turns on (but if you lay it down the other way you don't have to worry about that, so it doesn't bother me).

http://youtu.be/ewnHUJmXiTg
http://amzn.com/B0036S5W42
http://amzn.com/B003F6EMQO
That's pretty cool! That light you bought looks a LOT like the Streamlight TLR-1. Similar shape and "quick release". I'll probably grab one of those when I "tacticool" out my future Maverick 88 . I'm sure the quality is plenty good for the amount that I'd probably use it. It's like 1/2 price of the TLR-1 as well which is a bonus!

Like I said earlier, for my HD gun, I'm going tried and true streamlight b/c it does fit my budget and I want something that is NOT going to fail in that scenario. However it's also entirely possible I've been brainwashed by marketing and many of these other lights are just as good . I certainly wouldn't fault anyone who buys a different brand and/or can't fight a $125+ light in their budget.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Hunkerin' in the Bunker

Get a universal shotgun magazine/barrel clamp for about 8-10 bucks. Then get one of those small 9 LED flashlights for about 3 bucks. Mount the clamp below your magazine toward the end and clamp on the flashlight. Holding the slide you'll be able to push the rear-mounted button on the light easily. Seriously that setup is CHEAP and it works.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:48 PM
Liberty or Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_survival84 View Post
Get a universal shotgun magazine/barrel clamp for about 8-10 bucks. Then get one of those small 9 LED flashlights for about 3 bucks. Mount the clamp below your magazine toward the end and clamp on the flashlight. Holding the slide you'll be able to push the rear-mounted button on the light easily. Seriously that setup is CHEAP and it works.
Yeah unfortunately if you have a short-barreled mossberg with a heat shield, you can't use the universal clamps . My roadblocker and his persuader both have the heat shield .
Old 12-30-2011, 07:42 PM

I tried the nebo failed. Streamlight is functioning fine but I don't have a heat sheild
Old 12-30-2011, 07:50 PM

Until you find a light that you are happy with you can always use a flashlight in your non shooting hand and rest the shotgun either against the back of your wrist or in the crook of your arm. It isn't very sexy but it is somewhat similar to the pistol/flashlight stance and gets the job done.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM

I too am looking for an affordable light for my 500 but most reviews contradict the reviews of other purchases. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:28 PM
Target Shooter

Once you add up all the broken lights you've been through, a Surefire forend doesn't seem that expensive. Plus knowing its always going to work is priceless, I wouldn't trust my life to a cheap flashlight.