Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-18-2011, 03:23 PM

Default VALVE vs VALVELESS mickey mouse/Bunny boots

Advertise Here

i went to the local surplus and tryed on bunny boots untill i found what i liked. i normally wear a 12r but i found that 10w fit me best in the bunny boots. he happens to have both valved and valveless boots in that size, wheni look at the valveed boots they seem to be a little bulkier and maybe the rubber is a little thicker, but i cant really tell. anyhow my biggest concern is:

Is one type of black bunny boot warmer than another?

i want the black ones because they are smaller and it dosnt get incredibly cold here in michigan. if im out side in sub zero temperatures thats a rare day. i may get a white pair later for sitting in the tree stand but well see how i like the black boots first. ive read quite a bit but if anyone has any good advice it never hurts to share. thank you in advance for all the help.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:46 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 12,607 Times in 4,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc215 View Post
i went to the local surplus and tryed on bunny boots untill i found what i liked. i normally wear a 12r but i found that 10w fit me best in the bunny boots. he happens to have both valved and valveless boots in that size, wheni look at the valveed boots they seem to be a little bulkier and maybe the rubber is a little thicker, but i cant really tell. anyhow my biggest concern is:

Is one type of black bunny boot warmer than another?

i want the black ones because they are smaller and it dosnt get incredibly cold here in michigan. if im out side in sub zero temperatures thats a rare day. i may get a white pair later for sitting in the tree stand but well see how i like the black boots first. ive read quite a bit but if anyone has any good advice it never hurts to share. thank you in advance for all the help.
The valves were added to allow folks to wear them while flying in unpressurized aircraft with out having their boots expand. They also work when hunting in the mtns at high elevation. I think they are worth it.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,944 Times in 754 Posts

Here in the Arctic, it's common knowledge that the white bunny boots are the warmest.

The guy that posted above is correct about the valves.

If you wear the boots with valves, always keep the valves CLOSED unless you are going up in an aircraft.

High mountain elevations while walking will not affect the boots that much, if any.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Nadafinga!!

Thanked 4,500 Times in 1,588 Posts

I have found that the mickey mouse boots are excellent if you are sitting around and not going much. But, if you are doing a bunch of walking, they are horrible. They don't breathe at all. I was once issued these boots. They kept my feet toasty warm. But, the first time I used them on a march with a ruck, my socks ended up soaking wet and my feet had blisters. And it really wasn't that long of a walk.

And the posts above are absolutely correct about the valves.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
I love this forum

I bought a pair of these a few years back & planned to use them for hunting.
I wore them two times & theyve set in the closet ever since.
Theyre not practical.
Theyre to heavy for hiking & theyre clumbsy.

Id recommend buying a quality pair of rubber hunting boot with thinsulate.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:39 PM

if i get any i will get BLACK michigan is not that cold. if you look at the vavle and valveless models the valveless appears slimmer above the ankle. i was somply wondering if there is a difference in warmth between the two.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:23 PM

I had Bunny Boots once but never again they are heavy, bulky and your feet sweat like crazy, they are a steam room for your feet. I use La Cross Ice men or the Ice Kings for cold temps.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:24 PM

The USGI Mickey Mouse boots are a disaster waiting to happen. I have trained many times in the past in Northern Canada where US Army soldiers accompanied us on exchange training trips and they came wearing the "Mickey Mouse" boots. Wearing lightly insulated rubber boots in extreme cold (e.g.-30, -40, -50) will make you a casualty quick. What happened every time was the US Army troop's feet would sweat in those boots on the move, their socks/feet would get damp (wet actually) and then when we stopped they froze up quick. We lent them numerous pairs of wool socks and the extra felt liners from our CF issue mukluks that some could stuff into their boots. Without our assistance they would have been forced to sit out in our tents drying their numerous socks they went through. We (Canadians) had zero foot/boot issues. Best boots for extreme cold are a "breathable" mukluk with a heavy duty removable felt/wool sock liner and good old wool socks, the CF issue (Chimo brand) or Baffin mukluks are good to go The Mickey Mouse boots would actually be not bad in wet cold although goretex lined boots would probably still be better in those situations.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canadian Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2011, 04:23 PM

so you would recomend a mukluk if its F**king cold on the cold index. but the mickys are ok if its just cold (30-0 f) and your footwear will be getting wet, such as melting snow, heavy wet snow, and theyre probably not ideal for use day after day all day, or for long distance hiking.

oddly enough that actually fits around my needs. ill be wearing them around the house here and ill use them when i go to winter scout camp teaching a station on survival shelters. they would probably be just fine bumping around working on my truck in the cold.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:08 AM

Default White boots are rated for 10 degrees colder than the black boots

Mickey Mouse boots are the only boots I have ever wore that I did not get cold feet in, even at 30 degrees below zero, standing in one place working an oil rig derrick for as much as 2 hours at a time, with wind blowing. They are awesome for warmth. Personally, I would only recommend them for sedentary use, perhaps for sitting at a hunting stand, or ice fishing, or any use where you are not hiking or moving about much, because they are rather heavy and because, as our Canadian military friend pointed out above, you will easily work up sweaty feet unless it is 30 below or colder. If I am going to be hiking, I use USGI Air Force ECW MUKLUK BOOTS. They are typically sold with 2 wool insoles, and then you add the wool liner, such as Sorel or whatever, but just be sure it is mostly or 100% wool or acrylic. These mukluks are very lightweight, they have 18 inch tops to keep the snow out, and they have a gummy sole that gets decent traction on ice, and will remain flexible to 40 below. After spending a small fortune on various boots over the years that were supposed to be warm, but weren't, I now only use either Mickey Mouse boots or the Air Force mukluks and my feet are warm and happy