Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-14-2011, 11:33 AM
one day at a time

Default can i use my hot tub

Advertise Here

can i use my hot tub to store water? it doesnt work so its just sitting on my deck looking for a use. my concern is what will happen during the winter when the temp gets down below freezing in Jan/feb. will it crack?
Old 12-14-2011, 11:40 AM
Hunter

Pipes will bust for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to smokinthelast1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2011, 11:51 AM
Hiker

Grow veggies in it, that or worm farm.
The Following User Says Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2011, 01:35 PM
Prepared

I was thinking about the same thing in my thread here...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=204756

I don't have a hot tub, but if I get one I plan on using it. I think a solar still might be sufficient to purify the water.

If you don't plan on using your hot tub anymore it couldn't hurt to try. Just plug and drain the pipes to make it a sealed tub. It'll probably crack if it freezes, so a solution might be to glue closed-cell foam to all the interior surfaces. This gives the water something to expand in to when it freezes. Make sure the adhestive won't mess up the water safety.

A simpler solution might be to get some foam tubes (like pool toys or pipe insulation), weight the end (like embed them in concrete), and toss a bunch of them in the tub, making sure they pierce the surface. Use quite a few. That'll also give the water something to expand in to. Weighted inflatables might also work, but the air might leak out.

I don't guarantee this'll work, but if option B is to just abandon the hot tub and let it decay it's worth a shot.

I can't
The Following User Says Thank You to carve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2011, 12:30 AM
one day at a time

thanks everyone for the replies : ) and ty carve for the link. i will have to give it some more thought as to what i will end up doing with it
Old 12-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,251 Times in 1,784 Posts

As long as it's not a time machine, and you don't have Chevy Chase as your plumber, you should be ok.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Mountain William

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
It'll probably crack if it freezes, so a solution might be to glue closed-cell foam to all the interior surfaces. This gives the water something to expand in to when it freezes.

As long as it isn't sealed airtight, the water will expand just fine upward without cracking the tub. But DO seal the drains & drain the pipes. Simple as putting a thin rubber cover over the drain. The weight of the water trying to escape should seal the drain, ala kitchen sink or bathtub.

Test? Fill a small Rubbermaid type food storage container about 2 inches from the top with water. DON'T put on the lid. Stick in the freezer. Check on it the next day.
(I do this so I have blocks of ice to put in the dog's water bucket during the summer. Haven't had one crack yet)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rickb223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2011, 04:53 PM
Target Shooter

The circulation pump in mine is VERY small. I wonder how long it would last on a battery/inverter setup?????

I guess that'd depend on the inverter as much as anything,,,,,

As far as purifing goes, I'm hoping my Monolithic filter and some buckets will fix that!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to unknownsurvivor For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Mountain William

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownsurvivor View Post
The circulation pump in mine is VERY small. I wonder how long it would last on a battery/inverter setup?????

I guess that'd depend on the inverter as much as anything,,,,,

As far as purifing goes, I'm hoping my Monolithic filter and some buckets will fix that!!!!
Look into a 12v RV type water/shower pump. Might be cheaper than a dedicated inverter.
The Following User Says Thank You to rickb223 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 01:55 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

how cold does it get where your hot tub is? do you cover it with one of those foam covers?
Old 12-20-2011, 02:54 PM
one day at a time

not all that cold, tho we have had some yrs that were really cold, but on average i think @ 0 is its worst for most yrs. and yes it has a cover : )
Old 12-20-2011, 03:07 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

We had a fiberglass one we kept outside years back. The coldest it ever got was 18% we insulated all the pumps and things by covering around the bottom with foam board and then back filling up against the foam board with about a foot of dirt from the yard. (this was not on my porch but on a slab out in the yard) It did not have a roof over but it did have one of those foam covers. It never split. It did get a thin layer of ice on the top but it was not enought to split. But we don't get as cold as you do and the 18% was like for 3 or 4 days then it got up over 32%.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:15 AM
SLACK OUT!

As long as you haven had sex in it in the past bit. Well then again, that does not stop me from going to my bed.
The Following User Says Thank You to PartisonConfederat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 09:27 AM

Does the heater still work? Could also put a small tank heater in it for real cold nights they are very well insulated so shouldnt take much.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pegsmi98 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 99,817 Times in 32,492 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb223 View Post
As long as it isn't sealed airtight, the water will expand just fine upward without cracking the tub. But DO seal the drains & drain the pipes. Simple as putting a thin rubber cover over the drain. The weight of the water trying to escape should seal the drain, ala kitchen sink or bathtub.

Test? Fill a small Rubbermaid type food storage container about 2 inches from the top with water. DON'T put on the lid. Stick in the freezer. Check on it the next day.
(I do this so I have blocks of ice to put in the dog's water bucket during the summer. Haven't had one crack yet)
Water doesn't expand just upward. Put a glass of water in the freezer and see what happens. It has all the room in the world to expand upward, but it will also expand outward as the last of it freezes. I've learned this the hard way more than once.

On the positive side, motion helps keep water from freezing. Ranchers often put bubblers in their stock tanks to keep them from freezing over. All these are is a small air pump. That doesn't take much power to run and could easily be run on a small solar panel/battery arrangement. I don't know what temperatures it would protect to, but it might be worth researching.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Recent Blog:
Hunter

Thanked 3,492 Times in 1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Water doesn't expand just upward. Put a glass of water in the freezer and see what happens. It has all the room in the world to expand upward, but it will also expand outward as the last of it freezes. I've learned this the hard way more than once.

On the positive side, motion helps keep water from freezing. Ranchers often put bubblers in their stock tanks to keep them from freezing over. All these are is a small air pump. That doesn't take much power to run and could easily be run on a small solar panel/battery arrangement. I don't know what temperatures it would protect to, but it might be worth researching.
Here in the Northeast, boat owners who keep their vessels in the water connect "bubblers" to their shore power electrical source to keep the water circulating. In these colder, snow-belt environments a solar panel will, more than likely, be inhibited by snow accumulation(s).

The main thing I would suggest is that if the above method is used to inhibit freezing by using a direct connect electrical connection is that MAKE CERTAIN that it is unplugged BEFORE you retrieve any water...else the trickle of electricity may/will kill you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LongInTheTooth For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Fisherman

make a fish pond, lots of videos online of people using an old hot tub.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trotline For This Useful Post: