Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 12-03-2011, 10:57 PM

Default Did Berkey fix the filter problems?

Advertise Here

OK, I have been looking for water filters; I came close to getting a Big Berkey, until I read about the problems with the filters. Then I saw the Aqua Rain Filters. Not all that sure about them they seem to be good. But from what I have read the Big Berkey’s black filter is the better. So here is the question, did Berkey FIX the problems with the filters? I have been looking at other thread's so if I missed it and this has been answered please post the link to the thread.
Thanks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnw104 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 03:36 AM
Hiker

the said they fixed it, they replaced mine for free.....I now have a second set of brokem burkey filters.

I'm looking to replace with non-burkey if I don't get my money back for the burkeys i'll file with the bbb.

DO NOT trust your future/life on these things, they suck ass.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to whofarted For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 AM

Yeah - I've been put off the berkleys now as well, so I'll start looking for an alternative. . .
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimistic_Pessimist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Reality is Offensive

I bought a Aqua Rain 4 filter system that had never been used, but was not new. The filters just snapped off at the base. Cheap brittle plastic.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,511 Times in 514 Posts

I just don't get it. I have 3 Berkeys and never experienced any problems with the filters. I have two Big Berkey Stainless units and a smaller stainless one for travel. I keep hearing about the problems they have on this forum, but for some reason, I just haven't had any problems. I wouldn't own anything else.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Pow Pow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,516 Times in 32,625 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Pow Pow View Post
I just don't get it. I have 3 Berkeys and never experienced any problems with the filters. I have two Big Berkey Stainless units and a smaller stainless one for travel. I keep hearing about the problems they have on this forum, but for some reason, I just haven't had any problems. I wouldn't own anything else.
Same here. But my Berkey's are older units. The problems only seemed to show up in the last couple years. So they've made some change to their production methods that they desperately need to undo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimistic_Pessimist View Post
Yeah - I've been put off the berkleys now as well, so I'll start looking for an alternative. . .
I've been in the market for some extra filters. I've been watching this situation intently, hoping that they have corrected the problem. But it appears that they still haven't.

I'm put off on Berkey too. I'm going to start looking into alternatives. If a company that supplies something that folks trust their lives to, can't be trusted to provide a safe product, then it's a company that I no longer want to do business with. Even if they fix the problem. By taking this long to do so, they show that they don't care. And to me, that makes them untrustworthy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Veritas Aequitas

Thanked 3,071 Times in 1,017 Posts

I just received my replacement black filters last week. They are visibly different than the ones I purchased in July. The bases appear to be re-designed. I have not yet installed them, but plan to do so this week. I'll keep everybody updated. Crossing my fingers...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skyjump136 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,679 Times in 705 Posts

Anybody else have the replacement Berkey filters go bad again? I also got my replacements, but have not got around to installing them.
Old 12-04-2011, 03:35 PM

Default Berkey filter problem still not fixed!

My replacement filters (Black Berkey Filters) have the same problem. The carbon and base do not stay together. It is "glued" together with silicone, and the silicone does NOT keep them together. I am STILL waiting to hear from Berkey on another set of replacement filters. I would NOT purchase another Berkey black filter system until their QC is fixed!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pdiesel For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Anybody else have the replacement Berkey filters go bad again? I also got my replacements, but have not got around to installing them.
Previous threads have shown that a lot of people are having the same problem with their replacements.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Old Man Yells At Cloud

Thanked 1,679 Times in 705 Posts

Bummer. I didn't want to prime them as I have no need to use them unless we have a crisis. Now I'm forced to to make sure they're going to work or fail.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Professional Amateur

Guess I'd better check my Berkey huh. Bought it a year or so??? unpacked it checked it and boxed it back up and stored it!!!

D
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 PM

Are they made in china? I am looking for a water filter and heard good things about the berkey. The only reason I didn't buy one is because they cant sell them in California due to them not being certified for no lead. This doesn't mean they have lead, it just means they haven't paid for and gone through the process of getting them certified to sell in California.

What is another alternative?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Professional Amateur

The Berkey guy is on here. What do I need to check? What do I need to do????

D
Old 12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
Target Shooter

I got a british made ceramic filter that is not a Berkey for $25, added in a 5 micron carbon pre filter for $12 and 2 extra ceramic filters for $3.25 all made in the UK.

Im mystified why they are so expensive in the US when the Berkey filters sold in the ME are about $25 USD retail at the supermarket and hardware stores.

Maybe it is cause everyone uses water filters and volume buying here?

To clarify, I just bought a Brit made filter the other day, I have a another Berkey already mounted on the faucet line.

Last edited by Metz; 12-07-2011 at 05:46 AM.. Reason: calrification
Old 12-04-2011, 11:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,102 Posts

I assume these posts about Berkey filters is meant as a heads-up to others.

Did the problem with these filters begin recently, or have they always been defective? Knowing a time frame on the manufacture of the defectives would be helpful to people who own them. I've read some of the Berkey threads over time and don't remember anybody answering this question.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:38 AM

I bought my Berkey and extra filters in June of 2008. Haven't used them - does anyone know if the filters from that time period are good?
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 AM
The Over 40 Club

Thanked 1,450 Times in 667 Posts

I bought a royal berkey two years ago , tried it out and packed it back up also. I bought 2 extra sets of the black filters.

I must have had my head in the sand , I don't know what the problem is, someone please tell me , What is the problem with them ?
The Following User Says Thank You to wchancey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 01:16 PM
Walking methane refinery

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandline View Post
I assume these posts about Berkey filters is meant as a heads-up to others.

Did the problem with these filters begin recently, or have they always been defective? Knowing a time frame on the manufacture of the defectives would be helpful to people who own them. I've read some of the Berkey threads over time and don't remember anybody answering this question.
The problem is recent. We've had threads on it starting around a year or so back, maybe a little farther. I don't know how far back the problem goes though. That was the first I had heard of it. The older models had no problems that I am aware of.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time Will Tell, huh View Post
Guess I'd better check my Berkey huh. Bought it a year or so??? unpacked it checked it and boxed it back up and stored it!!!

D
It may be that Berkey is hoping enough people will do just that so they can avoid retooling their production methods or redesigning their products which would obviously mean time and money for them. That's worst case, but hopefully someone from Berkey will respond to this thread, or a similar one, with some more information. Otherwise, we're forced to speculate.
The Following User Says Thank You to PHD10 For This Useful Post: