Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 11-30-2011, 04:53 AM
<><><><><><>

Default Pump vs Semi-Auto

Advertise Here

Is this more of a personal preference? Why did you choose one over the other?

I'm just curious if it really matters. I've seen some guys shoot a pump just as quick as a semi-auto but that takes a lot of practice.

Tell me the pro's and con's about both. I was going with a pump but then got to thinking about a semi-auto. This would primarily be for HD.

Your thoughts...
Old 11-30-2011, 04:57 AM
Hunter

I go for the reliability of a pump. Also, very few things tell a thug "You picked the wrong house" as good as a shell being pumped into the chamber.
If the sound doesnt scare them off, most likely you will have to shoot someone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to talon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 05:12 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 2,649 Times in 1,401 Posts

I own several of both. There is zero advantage to a pump action over a semi auto. Some will bring up the issue of reliability, but the fact is you are more likely to short stroke a pump, than you are to have a semi fail to cycle. This is especially true in a self defense situation under duress.

A good example of this is in Trap shooting. Years back you would see shooters with pump action shotguns shooting doubles. Today you don't see one. The reason is because it handicaps you to have to manually cycle an action while taking 2 quick shots. It is very much the same in self defense. I'm not saying a pump is "bad", it is just there is no advantage to one.

They are somewhat cheaper to purchase, with some models like a Mossberg 500 going for around $250.00 at chain sporting goods stores on sale. On the other hand if you go with a proven reliable semi like a Remington 1100 Tactical, or a Benelli M-4, you're going to spend well into 4 digits for it. The newer semi designs like the Benelli M-4 are designed to cycle reliably with a very wide range of ammunition from low brass Trap loads, to the heaviest Magnum buckshot and slug loads.

It is more of an issue of economics, than it is anything else. If your budget will allow for a good semi auto, that is what I would choose. With that said a good, reliable, low cost pump like the Mossberg 500 is not in itself a "bad" choice.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:49 AM
<><><><><><>

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/58489-55.html

This isn't real expensive. Seems like it would do the trick and a quality brand. ?

I have mixed feelings about the "racking" sound really doing the job in scaring someone away. I've read that is more hype than reality. Also, why would you want to give away your position? Not sure about this one.

In a tense moment I want something I don't have to think about much that can give me the best protection and the quickest second, third shot if needed.

The semi-auto is looking better and better for me but I'm still not 100% sure. My other post was about a pump style because I thought I knew what I wanted but you know how that goes. Guess I could get both! lol Yeah right, wife would kill me.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:03 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDude View Post
I have mixed feelings about the "racking" sound really doing the job in scaring someone away. I've read that is more hype than reality. Also, why would you want to give away your position?
+1

Exactly. All of this "racking sound" is nothing more than overplayed Internet hype. If the situation has degraded itself to that point, as you said, why would you want to give away your position? To do so would be foolish, and put you in immediate danger. Besides, why would you wait until that point to chamber a round?

In an in house encounter the homeowner has the advantage in a dark house because he or she knows the layout, the bad guy doesn't. The cover of darkness spells advantage homeowner. Now factor in the "racking sound" and you've not only lost everything, you may have caused him to shoot out of sheer fright if he is armed. In short it makes no sense. The only sound the bad guy should hear is the shot that killed him.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:37 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,367 Times in 2,006 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
I own several of both. There is zero advantage to a pump action over a semi auto.
I respectfully disagree. Any semis I have owned or used do not cycle non-lethal ammunition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 06:39 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,676 Times in 802 Posts

Personal preference/Experience.

Pump pros- Less parts to break, less parts to clean, less parts to oil, cheap.
Pump cons - Easy to short stroke when under stress, slow follow-up shots.

Autoloader pros - Very fast follow up shots, user racks the charging handle and goes to town.
Autoloader cons - More parts to break, clean, oil... expensive.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:29 AM
I love this forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
I respectfully disagree. Any semis I have owned or used do not cycle non-lethal ammunition.
While that may or may not be true, (it's the first I've heard of it), why would you be using that type of ammunition in a self defense home shotgun? Looks like a good recipe to get yourself killed.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:19 AM
Hunter

I like a pump for slugs. Everthing else I perfer auto.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 21,507 Times in 6,945 Posts

I've only owned one auto for one year.
It caused me to spray-n-pray during squirrel and rabbit season.

Not the gun's fault, but I got rid of it and went back to a pump.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Shotgunner

I own one of each, in 12 gauge that is. I own 2 S-A shotguns (both Saigas). I own 2 pumps (both mossbergs). I use pump for HD, mainly because my S12 is almost the length of a mosin.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDude View Post

I have mixed feelings about the "racking" sound really doing the job in scaring someone away. I've read that is more hype than reality. Also, why would you want to give away your position? Not sure about this one.
I have a friend who was once a roommate back in college that will disagree with you.

He wasn't supposed to be back from a trip for a few days but came back early and decided to come in at around 3 AM in the morning. All I had was my pump at the time and I don't keep a round in the chamber.

I eased out into the hallway and racked my pump readying to shoot the intruder. The kitchen light was on and I pointed my gun that way. Not two seconds after I made that sound my Roommate was screaming from the kitchen not to shoot.

Pretty funny now that we look back on it, just thought i'd share that
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SChunter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 AM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,459 Posts

you get more bang for the cartridge in the pump than the semi (kinda like bolt rifle vs semi). in a stress situation, it's best to minimize the number of actions before discharging a round. so, i'm happy with my benelli m2.
The Following User Says Thank You to janit0r For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 04:16 PM
<><><><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfarmer View Post
You say you "like guns" in your name. Buy both - problem solved and use the one you like the best. No one gun is the perfect option. Now go help the economy and buy two!
Sure, as long as you come over and explain to my wife I'm just trying to help the economy.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:23 PM
<><><><><><>

As far as the "racking" sound I understand it will work in some cases, depending on the intruder. For me it's just not any concern in my gun purchase.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 9,096 Times in 4,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt460 View Post
All of this "racking sound" is nothing more than overplayed Internet hype.
Exactly. If you are engaging someone there damn well better be a shell ready to go before you get there.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 6,158 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SChunter View Post
I have a friend who was once a roommate back in college that will disagree with you.

He wasn't supposed to be back from a trip for a few days but came back early and decided to come in at around 3 AM in the morning. All I had was my pump at the time and I don't keep a round in the chamber.

I eased out into the hallway and racked my pump readying to shoot the intruder. The kitchen light was on and I pointed my gun that way. Not two seconds after I made that sound my Roommate was screaming from the kitchen not to shoot.

Pretty funny now that we look back on it, just thought i'd share that
Why would anyone be prepared to shoot someone WITHOUT a round already chambered? You just give away an edge in survival. All guns have a safety.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
<><><><><><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by janit0r View Post
you get more bang for the cartridge in the pump than the semi (kinda like bolt rifle vs semi). in a stress situation, it's best to minimize the number of actions before discharging a round. so, i'm happy with my benelli m2.
http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/b...2_tactical.php

Sure is pretty! Yeah, I could get into that.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:31 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 12,015 Times in 4,576 Posts

My home defense rig: Net and Trident

*Diaper not included*
Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
cleaning crew

Thanked 3,278 Times in 1,459 Posts

yes sir and my trigger finger is my safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP1127 View Post
Why would anyone be prepared to shoot someone WITHOUT a round already chambered? You just give away an edge in survival. All guns have a safety.