Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Knives, Swords & Axes
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here

Old 12-20-2011, 11:01 PM
I love this forum

Advertise Here

An ESEE 4 or 5 or something from TOPS.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Thanked 1,017 Times in 494 Posts

I've been researching knives myself for over a month and have increased my knife-knowledge 100 fold. I settled on, and ordered today a BK-2. I also ordered a BK-9 but I'm thinking it should have been a 7. I may get one of those too.

I checked Amazon but ended up getting mine off feebay. The BK-2 was $57.09 + postage at amazon, only $46.99 SHIPPED on feebay. The BK-9 was 71.98 + stamps at amazon, only 58.99 shipped on feebay. I like saving money more than I dislike feebay.

Rick
Old 12-23-2011, 08:58 PM

I've got a BK2.. <---Grins... Does that say enough?
Old 12-23-2011, 10:10 PM

I also have a BK-2 with micarta grip excellent setup great knife for certain applications. Just picked up OKC sk-5 Blackbird let me tell you awesome well balanced knife! Hedgehog leatherworks has the best customer service and leather sheaths i have seen to date.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:27 PM
Crusty Curmudgeon

Thanked 1,316 Times in 551 Posts

Between the two, my choice would be the KaBar for the simple reason that it has a quillon, and the Becker designs only have finger grooves. For most tasks, finger grooves are adequate, but for heavy butchering in slippery blood, nothing beats a quillon for keeping your hand from sliding forward on the blade. Ask me how I know.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama2220 View Post
Hey guys, I've finally decided between two knives to carry for bushcraft and everyday camp chores. My choice is between the becker bk2 and the USMC kabar fighting knife, but it is a really hard decision between the two. If you have any experience with the knives, which one would be better for bushcraft and all around camp chores?
i would probably say that the bk is better for bushcraft because it is more maneuverable i believe (could be wrong) while the usmc is better for camp chores because it is more of a log cutting fish cleaning animal skinning knife that has been proven through time in wars - hope i helped
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 AM
Stargazer Extraordinaire

Thanked 1,017 Times in 494 Posts

Why do most folks replace the grips with micrata?

Rick
Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 AM
Bushcraft Enthusiast

I have the BK 2 and a Mora that I take out with me. I like the combination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shootnstarz View Post
Why do most folks replace the grips with micrata?

Rick
They are not as slippery when wet or covered in blood.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cryptoboats For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2011, 01:11 PM

Default kabar

Kabar's are awsome. Within recent years kabar has offered new designs that have sprung off of the original WWII combat knife that was and is so popular. Some of the newer models are designed for cutting much larger pieces of wood and can take so much more abuse than the original combat fighting knife. Always a good purchase and will last a lifetime.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,060 Times in 532 Posts

I never really liked using either the Kabar USMC style knife or the BK2.
The Kabar was just too long for anything I needed to use it for & the BK2 was way too thick for my needs.

Never had to worry about either one of them breaking.
I don't need to beat the tar out of my knives for them to be useful.

But then again,I don't normally come across any big logs just laying around waiting for me to split them into tiny little pieces.
What I've seen are trees that could be cut up more efficiently with a saw or an axe.

I'm still exploring though.
Maybe some day I'll come across a forest where all the trees are already cut into small pieces & ready for me to bust them up with my knife.
I just never got into the whole knife abuse thing.

Cliff
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff Nieporte For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Wormhole Inversion

I've got a BK2 on the way in the mail. I'm pretty stoked. It will get used, ALOT.

Chose a BK2 because it's a beefy full tang knife that fills the void between my Buck 143B and my Kukri.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM

I have the smaller version of the USMC ka-bar. I have absolutely no problem battoning it whatsoever. Even with the tapered spine towards the tip, it does fine. I use a buck 110 as well for camp chores, and I was processing wood with that, which has the same tip. After using it to process wood for a half hour, it did not break, and was still sharp. The ka-bar works a lot better than that, and i baton it all the time. I would not be afraid to break it at all. I am looking to pick up a old US military Bayonet to use as a bc knife.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:02 AM
Breaking necks

Had a USMC break from non abuse. Personally, I'd rather trust my life against a kinfe which WON'T break versus one which one which won't break if I don't abuse it

Have a BK2 and it won't let me down period.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM

The Bk is a real full tang. The Kbar is a thin bolt like tang. During battoning or chopping, the Kbar WILL fail. Considering that the chances of actually fighting with a knife practically zero, the BK will do everything you could ever hope to do.
I will knot own a knife that i know will break.
Remember, the kbar was adopted because it was cheaply made as fast as possible. No company would ever introduce a knife made like that today. But we being loyal to our history, we still buy em to this day.
If you broke it, no probs. just go see your supply Sgt and deposit yours on that pile of broken kbars and he will gladly give you a new one. This works with the backing of a government. However, when its my money, and i am all alone, i will buy better.
If you want badass strong, buy ESEE 5. Be done with it.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Trapper

I second the BK7 or BK9. If you like the Size of the BK2 you might want to look at a BK16 smaller and lighter yet great shape for bushcraft.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 PM
Trapper

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big View Post
The BK 2 would be the best choice for bushcraft it is a rugged blade and can take a beating more than the kabar usmc. The usmc is more of a combat knife than a bushcraft knife. However, you can do the almost the same thing with both knives save for using the usmc to baton with it's smaller tang. IMHO, I would go bk2. I bought the bk7 and I wish I bought the bk2 instead.
While the BK2 is awesome I have a first gen model but you wish you purchased the BK2 instead of the BK7. Wow and for me the BK7 is the Cats meoww. The 7 is chopper, slicer, hacker, fighter and utility all in one. The BK2 is nice but the only real main advantage which can also be a disadvantage is the weight. The BK2 also has a shorter blade that may be legal to carry in some jurisdictions where the 7 cannot be carried. On that note I could see someone making it their claim to fame. however even here where legal carry is 5.5 inches and under outside of camping fishing and hunting duties I still uphold my BK7 as boss. The 9 which i own is still king but if I could have only one it would be the 7 for best balance of weight and utility.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:20 AM
Becker Fan

Thoughts on Ka-Bar -vs- Bk2 ...

Ka-Bar I find is a good all around knife , though a bit long for general chores ( pocket knife handles these quite well )

BK2 is as rugged as it gets ( again , a bit awkward for some chores )

Think about what you intend to use it for . If very hard use I'd go with the Becker .
Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM
Recent Blog:
I love this forum

I have and have used both.
I find very little true use for the BK2, yes it's almost indestructable but I don't try to abuse my knives so it serves no real purpose. It's poorly balanced and exceedingly heavy. If you decide on the BK2 get KA-BARs HD sheath, the kydex included is just horid.

Of the pair the KA-BAR fight/util is the only one that spends any time on my belt. It is not the best knife for any given task, but it is way more versitile then the BK2 and far better balanced. The glass/nylon sheath retains very well and extraction is easier and quiter than the BK2.

I would suggest the D2 KA-BAR if your worried about breakage, it's superior to either the BK2 or Fullsize KA-BAR fight/util. IMHO
Old 06-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Default 1980

I have had the same Kbar since 1980 and my first deployment with the fleet. I have done most everything to it. It still works, it is not the best for every task but it fills the role of more tasks than most anyother knife. I have used it offensively, defensively, brush cutter, skinner, butcher, hammer, back scratcher, monopod for a rifle, weight for throwing a rope(in the sheath), etc adnausum.
The Following User Says Thank You to cyrano For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2013, 07:22 PM

As other posters would agree that the USMC knife was designed for fighting and general purpose use. The BK2, definitely is designed for abuse. Full tang, and thick spine of the blade. Just my .02$.