Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Shotgun Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here

Old 11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
<><><><><><>

Question Home Defense Shotgun - Best Choice for Me?

Advertise Here

I've made my decision and for my primary home defense weapon I want to go with a 12 gauge pump shotgun. This is why I posted this topic under the shotgun forum.

So, here are my questions:

For under $500 let's say what's the best choice based on my personal preferences?

1. Shorter Stock
2. Pump Action
3. Versatility - Home Security and maybe some range shooting?
4. Quality/Reliability (Manufacturer)
5. Cleaning (Easier to clean for a novice owner)
6. Light Attachment
7. Round Capacity?

While we're here what ammo would you recommend for less penetration for interior walls and neighbors?

What ammo would I use for practice that is economical?

I have a family with children in other rooms so please keep this in mind.

Thanks for any info to get me started!
Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 1,273 Times in 748 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioDude View Post
I've made my decision and for my primary home defense weapon I want to go with a 12 gauge pump shotgun. This is why I posted this topic under the shotgun forum.

For under $500 let's say what's the best choice based on my personal preferences?

1. Shorter Stock
2. Pump Action
3. Versatility - Home Security and maybe some range shooting?
4. Quality/Reliability (Manufacturer)
5. Cleaning (Easier to clean for a novice owner)
6. Light Attachment
7. Round Capacity?

While we're here what ammo would you recommend for less penetration for interior walls and neighbors?

What ammo would I use for practice that is economical?

Ithaca defense make sure auto trigger.Go with buck shot if you are in a brick house and if your walls are soft 4-6 shot high brass bird shot.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:49 PM
Shotgunner

Quote:

1. Shorter Stock Youth model
2. Pump Action Good Choice
3. Versatility - Home Security and maybe some range shooting? Changing barrels is easy
4. Quality/Reliability (Manufacturer) Best of the best, Benelli. I prefer Mossberg, but Remington is good too.
5. Cleaning (Easier to clean for a novice owner) Shotguns dont REQUIRE cleaning. But most pumps are easy to clean.
6. Light Attachment You can easily find rails to be attached to tube.
7. Round Capacity? I'm happy with 5+1 for my HD gun, but I wouldnt pass on a 7+1. It's lighter (obviously), so your choice.

While we're here what ammo would you recommend for less penetration for interior walls and neighbors? No slugs. If you want less penetration, try reduced recoil, which has slightly less power.

What ammo would I use for practice that is economical? 100rd value pack of #7.5 or #8 from Walmart. $23 for hours of fun.

Thats my take on each. My suggestion to the family thing is, if you really are worried about family in next room, shotgun isn't the ebst idea. A pistol, if possible, would be better, IMO. I'm all for shotgun , dont get me wrong. Each person is different, especially when involving safety of your kids. Hope that helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYsurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Prepared

remington 870 syn 7shot..00buck
SHADOW
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shadowxdm9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 24,595 Times in 12,774 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I agree with SHADOW. But it's what I carried for 30 years, Remington 870

But the Mossbergs are great too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SgtBooker44 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 04:13 AM

I'd look into a Remington 870 (best shotgun ever made imo, I have a wingmaster and love it). They make a 'home defense' model that is pretty cheap. I would also suggest, if this would be a dedicated home defense gun, a weatherby 459. I have one, it is a great home defense style shotgun, 5 +1 capacity, soft recoil and a nice comfy pistol grip. They are around $350 - $400 and have a rail system for light attachments on the slide. Only issue with mine is that it really isn't a hunting gun (i usually like versatility).

HOWEVER.... I would relook at your weapon choice considering family members in the home. The problem is if you want lethality out of that shotgun for home defense you need buckshot, however buckshot will penetrate several interior walls. If you haven't been to the box of truth website yet I'd suggest it and read on there penetration wall testing.

Nothing wrong with using a shotgun I'd just make sure you checkout the power of what you could be shooting indoors and make sure you are aware and it is what you need.

For ammo, buckshot only way to go with defense. Smaller shot will not penetrate a foot of ballistics gel (FBI lethality standard). For practice at the range, use bird shot, much cheaper.

Light attachment: you can get a mount that will mount on barrel or ammo tube for any shottie out there, get a replacement slide with a rail, or the weatherby which has one already. Mounts are cheap won't be an issue.

Cleaning: Youtube! lol. Easy videos out there for the remington. Not complicated. I had no issues with the Weatherby using the instructions that came with it.

Hope that helped. I'd only give advice on something I've done personally. Those are my 2 pump guns. I think they are both excellent and any other shooter would enjoy them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FakeUser84 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 05:39 AM
Human bean of planet Urf

Thanked 2,552 Times in 1,317 Posts

Mossberg 500 (or a Maverick 88) with a youth or bantam stock. It's the only common one that has no inherent flaws out of the box. My opinion. If the usual six rounds isn't enough, go for the 500 Persuader. It holds eight total. If that's not enough, go for a 590 with nine. If you want heavy duty, go for the 590a1.

Welcome to the forum, Ohio!

rich
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to randkl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 05:55 AM
American fearmaker

Thanked 19,786 Times in 6,738 Posts

If you aren't used to a shotgun, start off with a 20 gauge before going to the more powerful 12 gauge. Both gauges will serve you well and get the job done but the 20 gauge won't recoil as bad. Once you have the 20 gauge down pat, then step up to the 12 gauge and its more powerful recoil. I would go with a 20 gauge in either a Mossberg pump action or a Remington 870 style. I would also watch some YouTube videos and/or buy some dvds about tactical shotguns. I would then set up my shotgun in the tactical form for use around where I live.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Herd Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 07:40 AM
<><><><><><>

Thanks for all the input so far. I really appreciate it!

Here, check this out:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/41870-55.html

I read in another forum topic that people don't like the adjustable stocks because they claim they slip or fold down on you in some cases. I think they may be different types. Some that fold, some that just adjust. Anyway, would you recommend a fixed butt-stock or something like what's in this link? The "tactical" models seem to have a higher capacity.

I will more than likely stick with Mossberg or Remington. Now it's just about breaking down what I really need and picking out a model.

BTW, I've shot a 12 guage before and would prefer to stick with that. You can get ammo that has less recoil I hear.

Thanks for the YouTube idea. Always forget about that.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 AM
Recent Blog:
Survivor

Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,619 Posts

Academy Sports Maverick 88 for 169
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 AM
Master of sarcasm!!!!!!

I'll tell you what I did:

Mossberg 500 8 shot, with Knox Stock (reduces recoil and adjustable)

all for way under 500 bucks (bought it used for less then 200)

Good luck
Old 11-29-2011, 08:50 AM
Hunter

I cant get enough shot guns....500.00 there just to many to pick from. With that said I really like the Benelli nova's if I had to pick one right this second.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:57 AM
Shotgunner

Quote:
I read in another forum topic that people don't like the adjustable stocks because they claim they slip or fold down on you in some cases. I think they may be different types. Some that fold, some that just adjust. Anyway, would you recommend a fixed butt-stock or something like what's in this link? The "tactical" models seem to have a higher capacity.
They will only slip or fold down if you dont make sure its locked in. Since this is HD, I'd recommend an adjustable stock.

Quote:
I will more than likely stick with Mossberg or Remington. Now it's just about breaking down what I really need and picking out a model.

BTW, I've shot a 12 guage before and would prefer to stick with that. You can get ammo that has less recoil I hear.

Thanks for the YouTube idea. Always forget about that.
If you want high capacity in Mossberg, get a Persuader (7+1). Remington 870's have mag extensions that you can put on whatever one you want.

Yes, there is reduced recoil ammo. For example, there are 7/8oz slugs, which is basically like shooting a 20ga slug.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NYsurvivalist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 09:45 PM
Hunter

Nothing wrong with mossberg but the remington 870 cannot be beat for the price. There are also a lot of stuff out there to stick onto them if that's what melts your butter. There is also low recoil buckshot. I also believe I ran into some frangible buckshot tho I couldn't say if it was adequate for protection or just practice.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:07 AM

I just bought a new Mossberg 590A1 pretty much option loaded. 12ga, 20" barrel, 8+1 capacity, 4 extra in stock, ghost ring sights, 41.5" overall length, parkerized finish and weighs in at 7lbs (empty lol). I had the cash and I wanted something that'll do damn near anything I need it to and last forever. Cost was 449.00 which was a deal. I also lucked into a Mossberg JIC setup with only 1 box of 25 shells through it for 125.00.. this was 3 days after i bought the 590A1.. go figure.

Really though.. for a home defense shotgun don't even think of spending 500.00! Your simply paying for unneeded specs. Think 300.00 range. If you want to spend more buy a 2nd one for the wife! Use the rest for a recoil reducing stock and practice ammo. Check out these 2 Mossberg 500 models which will work just as well as anything else.
  • 50411 (6+1, 18.5" barrel, 39.5" length) Cost: $323.00
  • 50577 (7+1, 20" barrel, 41" length) Cost: $310.00

The 50411 has an included pistol grip but comes with the standard synthetic shotgun stock. Toss or sell the pistol grip on ebay. Highly recommend purchasing a CompStock Shotgun Stock for the reduced felt recoil. I think I bought mine off Amazon for about 90.00. Well worth the money! Don't get caught up with all the "tactical" stocks and crap, you don't need them.

Since you have family and I'm guessing kids stick with 4 to 6 Shot. Slugs and double 00 buck WILL blow through your interior walls and often more then just one wall! They can both even go through the tile or sheetrock ceiling and the 5/8 or 3/4 sub flooring on the 2nd floor. Its just not safe to use if there are kids in the house.. especially if you feel the need to clear the house on your own before the police arrive (which I don't think is wise btw).

You should think of where the kids rooms are, as well as your master bedroom, access to them and line of sight. Are all the bedrooms on the same floor? Is there a bedroom in line of sight out your bedroom door or are they down hallways? Can you protect the kids from your bedroom position without having to leave the room?

Remember this is for defense! The BEST defense if you hear someone in the house is to simply defend your safe area.. the bedrooms at night. If you know the kids are safe and the intruders have to pass by you then that's where you stay, defend, call 911 and remain on the line.. don't hang up the phone.

Now the kids are safe, the police are on their way and you have a defensive position to stay safe. At this point you can yell out that you are armed and that the police have been called. Most intruders WILL leave at this point.

If you can defend and keep everyone safe until the police arrive then why leave the room and put yourself and family in unneeded danger? All it takes is for you to either not see the intruder(s) or to hesitate for even 1 second and then what.. they shoot you? Get close and fight over the gun? If it has 00 buck and goes off it could harm the kids.

So many people go on about whats needed and talk about walking through the house clearing it looking for the intruders. The absolute last thing you want to do as a parent is go looking for them unless you have no other choice. The legal costs in firing a weapon at an intruder can cost you 10s of 1000s of $$$ and even temporary jail time.

As stated here already I think was to take a defensive shotgun course. If there is a local gunshop in the area check out their store costs on the above shotguns and ask if they provide a course. While the gun cost will be higher most will discount a safety course if you buy from them.

Also.. know your local laws! They change from state to state and even your local city or township can have different bylaws. Some places allow you to protect with deadly force your family, home and property other areas only permit yourself, family and inside your home. Shooting someone on your doorstep or deck could land you in jail!

Sorry about the long post.. I just recently had a father argue with me over the importance of catching and detaining an intruder instead of allowing them to get away. Its also late! Take from it what you want, ignore the rest. Just remember.. home defense is MUCH more then just purchasing a gun!

Take care
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Adrenolin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 04:00 AM
I love this forum

I don't care much for the shotgun in home defense because of the time lost to put it into action. I like shotguns, don't take it wrong, but when I need a split second, the shotgun just might not be the weapon of choice. I am more into the pistol. I go to bed with the .380, 9mm, 40 ACP or a .45 ACP. Whichever gun I have at the time, it is right there, inside of arms reach, under the covers, right next to me, ready for action on a moments notice. Get the gun you want, but just keep in mind your options when the bad guy is in your bedroom and you have to reach when the gun is the corner or in the closet. Your either real fast or your dead.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:11 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger 6 View Post
I don't care much for the shotgun in home defense because of the time lost to put it into action. I like shotguns, don't take it wrong, but when I need a split second, the shotgun just might not be the weapon of choice. I am more into the pisol. I go to bed with the .380, 9mm, 40 ACP or a .45 ACP. Whichever gun I have at the time, it is right there, inside of arms reach, under the covers, right next to me, ready for action on a moments notice. Get the gun you want, but just keep in mind your options when the bad guy is in your bedroom and you have to reach when the gun is the corner or in the closet. Your either real fast or your dead.
I live in a 100 year old house. the stairs are completely creaky. I have both my browning automatic pistol or my drilling to choose from. I like having a choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dutchmano1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2011, 10:59 AM

As others have said the Mossberg 500 7+1 or Remmington 870 defense model are both good. The main difference being the location of the safety. If you are going to get a pistol grip stock (not pistol grip only though IMO, they only look cool in the movies) the Remmington might be a better choice (or the Maverick 88).

Some people get into the accessories and tacticool it up with slings, side saddles, etc. I'm not a huge fan of slings b/c they could get in the way. I'm not a huge fan of side saddles b/c I have 7+1 on the gun. If I have to shoot more than 8 times I'm likely either dead anyway, plus I don't think I'll have time to reload. But I don't have a problem with people who put them on and have different ammo on them.

I personally went with Mossberg 500 and added a Streamlight TLR-1s. The Light and tube adapter were like $125 though, so not cheap. However it has the momentary switch, it's basically bullet proof, and that thing is bright! If I get to a point where I need to use the HD gun, I don't want my light falling off after 1 shot. I stayed with standard stock for now.

Possible future modifications would be a pistol grip stock with either adjustable length or a shorter length of pull. Since Mossy isn't great with pistol grip stocks (that being said, if I am deploying my HD gun, the safety is going to be off as soon as I pick up the gun anyway, so not a huge deal) I was thinking a Hogue 12" LOP

Old 12-01-2011, 12:51 PM

A guy at ****sSportGoods told me that Winchester or Remington makes a Home Defense Buckshot shell that has a light coating of rubber on the shot. It's supposed to give you good penetration on an assailant and low penetration on interior walls.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:28 PM

I had a benelli nova pump. Good up to 3 1/2" shells. With the plug out it could hold I think about 7 or 8 2 3/4" shells. The action and balance was awesome, build quality was great and taking it apart to clean was simple. I think it's within range of your budget.

The only down-side is that it's a bit long, although I think they offer it in shorter barrels.

Aside from that a stainless marine folding stock or pistol grip shotgun could be nice.