Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-27-2011, 03:19 PM

Default alternative to berkey

Advertise Here

any suggestions for an alternative to berkey---I live in Iowa and they do not ship here because of some State rule. Are Sawyer's as good?. It would be stored until an emergency for us, or maybe years down the road for my kids.
Old 11-27-2011, 03:27 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,613 Times in 3,820 Posts

This is what I purchased

http://www.stpaulmercantile.com/inde...e=WaterFilters
The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Hiker

I use a sawyer bucket filter and would recommend it.
The Following User Says Thank You to floss187 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Glass Half Full

It's a good thing you didn't get a Berkey, the filters fall apart (been dealing w/ them for two years).

Like floss187, I like my Sawyer. Just get a food grade bucket from a deli/bakery and Sawyer gives you the rest of the stuff to build it.

If you could get around the shipping problem, I'd say get a Propur. I'm really liking mine since I switched from Berkey. On Ebay, there's a scratch 'n dent seller that doesn't say anything about Iowa exclusion, worth a try.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:49 PM
huh......what?

Thanked 34,037 Times in 8,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTNRNR3 View Post
It's a good thing you didn't get a Berkey, the filters fall apart (been dealing w/ them for two years).

You are just refering to the newer black filters, not the older white ceramic filters, right ?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Capability, not scenarios

Thanked 25,593 Times in 7,714 Posts

The monolithic filters are well worth looking at.

They allow you to make a "poor man's" berkey with clean 5-gallon buckets. The filters cost about $27 each, cheap enough you can buy more than one.

Here's the specs and info:

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-...g-water-filter

Here's the order page:

http://shop.monolithic.com/pages/the...t-water-filter

They're what I have.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
•--• • •- -•-• •

Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,133 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
This is the closest filter to a Berkey that I am aware of.

Amazon.com: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors
That's the one I went with.
The Following User Says Thank You to webfarmer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2011, 08:30 PM

I live in Iowa as well....I bought an Aqua Rain. They ship to Iowa. You could try a supplier that doesn't know that they aren't supposed to ship to Iowa.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Glass Half Full

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIL-DOT View Post
You are just refering to the newer black filters, not the older white ceramic filters, right ?
Yep, the charcoal filters.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:22 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,316 Times in 32,588 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInGa View Post
This is the closest filter to a Berkey that I am aware of.

Amazon.com: Katadyn TRK Drip Gravidyn Water Filter: Sports & Outdoors
Do those have a charcoal stage?
Old 11-29-2011, 10:51 PM
Target Shooter

I have several water filters. Katadyn, Sawyer, and Berkey.

I have both the Sawyer PointZeroTwo filter, that I will use for drinking and cooking, and I have the Sawyer PointOne that I will use for bathing, etc (my well produces a lot of water, but it is very dirty and I only take showers using the well water after it is filtered).

I have tested them pretty extensively, and they seem to work good.

My Katadyn filters are for my Get Home Bags (one Hiker model in each bag). I have the Katadyn pocket microfilter as an extreme emergency back-up to my back-ups.

For the Berkey's, I have 2 Imperial models. I read a post from MikeK a long time ago about using Silicon on the threads and that would help to install the filters without problem. You must use "Food Grade" silicon if you do this. But I bought some and we tried it on 6 filters. It worked well and had zero failures on those filters, whereas I had experienced about a 30% failure rate before. But I only did this since I already had the Berkey's. If I was starting over from scratch, I don't think I would buy a Berkey again. They have been notified for over 2 years of this filter problem and they haven't seemed to correct it fully. That is poor customer service in my opinion, not to mention poor manufacturing quaility control.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,662 Times in 670 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Do those have a charcoal stage?
Yes the inner core is filled with activated carbon.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisInGa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Prepared

Do any of these filters fet the Berkey System? Mine are Stainless Steel, I cant just throw them out. I'm hoping to find a filter that works with these.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:30 AM
Target Shooter

Monolithic filters seem nice.
Bargain priced, proven,,,,,just add water!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,204 Times in 1,185 Posts

I ordered one (Monolithic) but then realized they are only good for 6 months. I am going to see if I can get a sawyer .02 shipped over here.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:37 PM

Update: In the wake of Berkey's troubles and, shall we say creative claims, Envirotech is pleased to announce that we can now ship ProPur units to Iowa and California.

Please Visit us Today http://www.propur-water-filter.com/

We offer FREE shipping, and prices start at $180 for complete systems. Use coupon code "WATER" to save an additional 10% off our already low prices.

Last edited by forestbit; 06-08-2012 at 07:48 AM..
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
VA / NC

Thanked 15,510 Times in 6,085 Posts

Check out the Sawyer line of water filters - then decide.
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Woods For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Prepared

But are sawyer filters good enough to filter rainwater runoff from a metal roof?
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,760 Times in 3,378 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinoisguy View Post
But are sawyer filters good enough to filter rainwater runoff from a metal roof?
Yes. Rainwater is one of the cleanest and easiest waters to filter. Compare it to a muddy creek, which any of these can also filter.

The sawyer filters to a finer micron rating then any ceramic filter.

Most white ceramic filters are DE on the outside and some binder. Most of these also have either an iodine resin or are impregnated with silver, since wet charcoal that's the inner layer if not disinfected becomes a breeding ground for bacteria. It's also this silver or iodized resin that give ceramic candles a short useful life once wet or in use. Storage of them should always be after they are completely dry.

I have no idea what the black berkeys are made of, since they won't say, but I can guess. Since charcoal is used in lots of filters, and is black in color, I suspect that's one of the main ingredients. But it's not that great by itself so I also suspect one of the disinfectants, like iodized resin to be in that mixture, since they claim it's a 'purifier'.

Sawyer uses membrane technology which is much newer then the candles, which have been around for close to 200 years (1827). Membranes are rated as absolute because they prevent anything larger then the uniformed sized holes from passing through. Ceramics can't make that claim since there's always some inconsistencies. The best they can do is hope that the contact time is sufficient for the silver or iodine to kill what the filter lets through.

Most ceramics will say .2 -.4 micron (nominal) but they all are more like .5- .9 microns absolute. And there's no real cutoff point in nominal ratings. It could be fairly efficient and get 95% or it could be inefficient and barely get 55%. So be careful in comparing these. The black Berkeys simply refuse to give either a nominal or absolute rating. (again hoping that whatever they uses as a disinfectant to kill, not filter out, contaminants)

The courser .1 micron Sawyer beats out the ceramics at least twofold and possibly almost tenfold better at removing particulate and organisms. The Sawyer .02 is even better then that and can catch viruses too.

To me that's a 'true' purifier. Using silver, iodine or even chlorine that kills, not removes, is a big difference to me.

So read carefully and compare how these companies try to pass off something for what I believe they are not when they call it a 'purifier' or a 'filter'. Pure to me means 'free from', not just dead. Same goes for a 'filter'. It should stop it not just kill it.

By the definitions this industry uses I could shamefully declare that most tap water is 'purified' water. Because what makes it through the sand filter is disinfected so it wouldn't be much different then these ceramic candles. (though it's actually much dirtier, but all the bacteria and viruses are dead.)

Membranes, like the Sawyer, would be true filters and purifiers based on that they actually remove substances larger then their rated microns. The Sawyer .1 is a true filter since it traps bacteria and protozoa. The Sawyer .02 is a true purifier since it does that plus traps viruses too.

Use a couple food grade buckets and you can make far better water then what comes out of the tap. Use one of the Sawyers and you have a very inexpensive setup that beats any ceramic candle hands down. Add some chlorine to the second stage (bottom container) and a post second stage carbon filter and you have something far better then anything offered on the market, and still inexpensive.

Even with the Sawyer .1 when chlorine is added to the bottom container it not only disinfects the water but the container and post second stage carbon filter too. Since there's very little for the carbon filter to catch, but some dead viruses, it can last far longer then any ceramic candle. If you backwash the carbon filter on occasion you could make it last at least a decade.