Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > DIY - Do It Yourself
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Default Improvised Perimeter Detection System

Advertise Here

Not a new idea, but I made it with what I had on hand.- George

Improvised Perimeter Detection System
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mercop For This Useful Post:
Old 11-27-2011, 09:52 PM

If you pull the paracord into the tins you can lose the napkins and make a much more compact package. You'll have to smooth out your holes though.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:37 AM

The link wouldn't load
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 AM

I would have to use Altoids tins.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:08 AM

I am deff going to make one except with altoid tins
Old 11-30-2011, 01:39 PM

I've seen a couple different versions of this recently and I'm going to try it in the spring. I go out on overnight backpacking trips alone regularly. Call me a wuss, but sometimes I do get weirded out a bit lol.

Me and my buddy always joke around when were out in the woods that we're more worried about a weirdo out in the woods than a bear.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:17 AM

Great idea! I have done same sort of thing with clip on fishing bells for sturgeon fishing. Hard to make silent though.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Renaissance Man

Thanked 7,230 Times in 2,538 Posts

Nice improvising. In an urban or suburban situation, you could find materials similar to those all over the place.

I generally don't worry too much out in the woods, especially in a hammock. Most of my negative encounter have been porkys, skunks, stuff like that. By being off the ground, there's no worries.

Bear aren't an issue. I hang my food well away from camp. We only have black bear here and they generally avoid people, and it's extremely rare that they hunt and eat them.

People are even less of a problem because I am way off in the woods. I generally don't camp until close to dark, and even then keep a low profile. (I make very little noise, rarely have fires, etc)

I do have one of those personal alarms with about 150 ft of 20lb test wrapped around it in my BOB. In an urban situation, it's perfect for alarming entryways or passageways. I've never carried it out in the woods, but I would imagine it would work pretty well there.

Dogs are a great early warning system in the woods, but they have their drawbacks. Unless they're very highly trained, they can get you into trouble. I got skunked once because a dog barked at the skunks. We all saw them, we all stayed still to let them pass, but the dang dog had to get all loud and in their face.

Az
Old 12-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Heart of Darkness

I like it. Easy project, and looks effective enough as an early warning device, outside or inside. Seems any of the items used can be swapped for something else for similar function and, preferences. As is, it is compact and sturdy enough to be used repeatedly. Broken down, the items are still useable, especially if you select items with multiple uses in mind.

On the fly, one can always impovise with beer cans and fishing line.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 AM
A Ghost who Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvap View Post
I've seen a couple different versions of this recently and I'm going to try it in the spring. I go out on overnight backpacking trips alone regularly. Call me a wuss, but sometimes I do get weirded out a bit lol.

Me and my buddy always joke around when were out in the woods that we're more worried about a weirdo out in the woods than a bear.
we used to make these using C-Rat cans and commo wire or any other type of wire back when i was in the service.

One addition would be to add several Lines about 20 foot long or so running at 90% away from your camp.

this will help to snag anyone casing your camp as they move out of sight around the perimeter

Phantom
Old 12-12-2011, 01:18 AM

i feel as though this idea is relatively primative