Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,564 Posts
Default Which piston AR15 is coming out on top?

Advertise Here

Sig? Ruger?

They've been out for a while. Is there a general consensus on which is most reliable or are things still shaking out?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Recent Blog:
I am Defendor

It all depends on if the goverment starts buy them in mass. I am afraid of piston AR's it is good way to end up with a weapon you can't find parts for in 5 years.
Be patient and wait. See what the general military buys that will make it a standard then parts will be cheap
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jimnan88 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,346 Times in 6,634 Posts

That's along my thinking.

Everyone's piston system is different, but the standard direct impingement system is universal and parts will work for the millions of ARs in existence already. When you encounter an AR there is a 99% or better chance is will be a DI weapon.

I think the piston is a novelty and solution looking for a problem.

Break your piston gun and you now have a magazine fed single shot or a pretty flimsy club.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Doc_Shane For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 07:42 PM
skogbeskytter

Thanked 1,012 Times in 469 Posts

Barrett rec7 is best I've seen/used, BUT agree with above statements 100%
The Following User Says Thank You to Forster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,127 Times in 2,118 Posts

It could be easy to end up with the equivalent of a Beta VCR.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 7,438 Times in 2,626 Posts

Rugers do seem to be popular, and Ruger would be the most likely to still have parts availability. Bigger companies like Sig and Ruger would be my bet. Ruger is the only piston AR Ive seen first hand in action so I'm a bit bias, but stick with a bigger company. If everybody waited a few years these companies would stop making things like this. No sales translates to a lack of popularity. If an items not popular, well they discontinue it.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:07 PM
glock snob

the orginal piston driven gun the ,AK the gun everyone trys to copy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YOTE KILLA For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,140 Times in 2,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOTE KILLA View Post
the orginal piston driven gun the ,AK the gun everyone trys to copy
The original? I'm sure the Garand and BAR fans will be surprised to hear that...
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Demon of the Midwest

Thanked 7,438 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
The original? I'm sure the Garand and BAR fans will be surprised to hear that...
Yep, and in the region the SKS was first.
The Following User Says Thank You to TinmanIA For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinmanIA View Post
Yep, and in the region the SKS was first.
Absolutely.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 20,152 Times in 6,849 Posts

I vote for the REC-7. You can get them in .223/5.56 and 6.8 SPC calibers.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:03 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,228 Times in 458 Posts

I'm going to quote from a post I made in 2008. I got a piston gun because they were all the range and much better than the old direct impingement guns:

"I just head-to-head compared a new POF piston upper to a new rock river gas impingement. Guess which on failed to extract within the first 100 rounds, and which one went through 200 rounds of wolf perfectly (my version of a torture test). If you guessed the expensive one jammed, go to the head of the class.

Here's another little piston tidbit. Lots of ink has been spilled on how the piston is superior because it keeps the hot dirty gasses out of the receiver. That is true and the workings do seem to be cleaner. Apparently it is cooler as well, and that is supposed to be good for it. We'll here's the problem- it vents the gasses under the hand guard. As in where your hand is. Apparently, I'm the only person in the country who, when given the option of heating the receiver of his rifle or cooking his support hand thinks that the former is the better choice. I am not sure why other gas piston guns like an M1, AK, or m14 seem to avoid this. But I can tell you from first hand (no pun intended) experience that the piston AR did."

If you want a piston AR because you want one, have fun with it, it is fun to get new toys.

If you want it because it is solving a problem with the direct impingement guns, think long and hard about it. Understand the benefits and limitations of direct impingement vs piston. It wasn't as if Stoner was an idiot who chose DI for no good reason: he looked at the trade-offs and made his decision. Likewise Kalashnikov: he faced a different set of circumstances and made a different but equally informed decision. Is the best answer in YOUR circumstance to get a piston gun? It could be. I decided that in my environment, for my uses, a DI gun is the best choice.

If you get a piston gun, bear in mind that they are proprietary systems made in relatively low numbers and buy whatever spare parts you may need. They are not like a standard AR where there are replacement parts everywhere. I'm not talking about some fantasy SHTF scenario either, I'm talking about the wars ending, defense department procurement for experimental weapons gets cut back and the company that made your rifle solely to attract a military contract decides that it isn't going to happen and then you need a new o-ring on your piston or whatever.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bert the turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,375 Times in 2,007 Posts

http://www.pof-usa.com/main.htm

Give them a look.
The Following User Says Thank You to paramilusmc For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 07:32 AM
blaidd ddrwg

Thanked 18,288 Times in 7,528 Posts

i vote for the robinson arms XCR
Old 11-23-2011, 08:34 AM
Have gun,will travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramilusmc View Post
POF or PWS would be my guess. Honestly, this is why I still use DI ARs. Because there is no telling who is coming out on top. And once there is a clear "winner" in the piston-driven AR market, all of the others will be obsolete with no parts support.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Prepped and Done!

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,564 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert the turtle View Post
I'm going to quote from a post I made in 2008. I got a piston gun because they were all the range and much better than the old direct impingement guns:

"I just head-to-head compared a new POF piston upper to a new rock river gas impingement. Guess which on failed to extract within the first 100 rounds, and which one went through 200 rounds of wolf perfectly (my version of a torture test). If you guessed the expensive one jammed, go to the head of the class.

Here's another little piston tidbit. Lots of ink has been spilled on how the piston is superior because it keeps the hot dirty gasses out of the receiver. That is true and the workings do seem to be cleaner. Apparently it is cooler as well, and that is supposed to be good for it. We'll here's the problem- it vents the gasses under the hand guard. As in where your hand is. Apparently, I'm the only person in the country who, when given the option of heating the receiver of his rifle or cooking his support hand thinks that the former is the better choice. I am not sure why other gas piston guns like an M1, AK, or m14 seem to avoid this. But I can tell you from first hand (no pun intended) experience that the piston AR did."
The AK has vent holes in the gas tube, right after the block and before the handguards start. The handguards do heat up on an AK, but that is mostly from the barrel.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,435 Times in 32,605 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimnan88 View Post
It all depends on if the goverment starts buy them in mass. I am afraid of piston AR's it is good way to end up with a weapon you can't find parts for in 5 years.
Be patient and wait. See what the general military buys that will make it a standard then parts will be cheap
That's where I'm at on it too. Right now, everyone has their own piston design. Sooner or later, they will begin standardizing on a particular design that works best. They'll have no choice if they want to appeal to a larger market segment. Nobody is going to invest in large quantities unless there is some universality in parts and suppliers.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 100,435 Times in 32,605 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
POF or PWS would be my guess. Honestly, this is why I still use DI ARs. Because there is no telling who is coming out on top. And once there is a clear "winner" in the piston-driven AR market, all of the others will be obsolete with no parts support.
That's precisely why I haven't made the move into piston ARs yet either. The way the companies went about it was foolhardy in my book.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 06:34 PM
FMJ trigger job

I have both and like both for a shtf rifle I would rather have the piston I used AA kits as for parts well I have AA parts but I also have my old DI parts and can go back to DI in about 10 minutes. But piston parts aare harder to get.
The Following User Says Thank You to julio For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,106 Times in 760 Posts

Ok, while we are talking about design. Why the hell is the bolt so damn long? The whole thing could be cut in half with a slight modification to the design.

BTW: Alexander Arms.