Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here

Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Target Shooter

Default Glock Blows up in this guys face

Advertise Here

Well a few days ago i was testing out a few rent guns to see what i liked better and off to my far right hand side a man has his glock 40 blow up right in his face
here are some pictures

everyone ran to him and asked what happen... This makes me not want to fire my glock 19....:headshake
Old 07-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Target Shooter

also the guy was ok
Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
BEEN HERE TO LONG

i bet he was shooting reloads
Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM
G_D'S Gonna Cut You Down

I don't beleive reloads was the problem. Pistol cartridges use the hottest powder there is in the first place. At standard load, they are near max capacity by volume. I just don't beleive you can get enough powder in a .40 case to do THAT kind of damage.

Personally I think he had a barrel obstruction. It's the only real explaination I can think of. I have seen some really foolish reloading. Never anything like that. If it were a rifle loaded w/ pistol powder, I would beleive that. {Ive seen that!} But a pistol barrel is so short, most of the time excess powder just gets blown out the end. I'm not saying it's not possible, but I don't beleive it. He had to have had a squib load leave a bullet lodged in the barrel or something. A barrel obstruction would do that.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,499 Times in 1,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

looks like he double tapped on top of a squib load
Old 07-24-2008, 10:06 AM

The squib load is certainly a thought Kaleb. Looks like there must have been some type of obstruction.

I have seen a few .40 Glocks blow at matches, not long after the .40 was introduced.

Those were induced by shooting high pressure lead bullets in the polygonal rifled Glocks. A definite "No-No".

Fast leading build up, narrowed barrel lumen, and Kaboom!

Not a good day...

TMHonfire;

Good pics and thanks! Any sign of a forward barrel bulge?

Prag
Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Proud American

wolf ammos?

i heard they can be pretty hard on glocks?
but i dont know.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyouth View Post
wolf ammos?

i heard they can be pretty hard on glocks?
but i dont know.
I've run several thousand rounds of Wolf through my 9mm Glocks with no ill effects, except that Wolf is so Darn Dirty!

Same with a Glock 21 I had...no problem, just dirty...

Prag
Old 07-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,467 Times in 2,276 Posts

Color might be wrong but it looks like the chamber was cracked long enough to rust a bit.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Dazed and Confused!

By the looks of the ruptured case, and the blown out primer, it sure looks like an overpressure issue. More so because the majority of the damage is around the chamber. Most squib load damage is further down the barrel resulting in splitting and bulging.
This was something catastrophic right in the chamber. I tend to think possibly bullet seating or other reload issues may have caused this.

Who knows!?
Old 07-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prag View Post
The squib load is certainly a thought Kaleb. Looks like there must have been some type of obstruction.

I have seen a few .40 Glocks blow at matches, not long after the .40 was introduced.

Those were induced by shooting high pressure lead bullets in the polygonal rifled Glocks. A definite "No-No".

Fast leading build up, narrowed barrel lumen, and Kaboom!

Not a good day...

TMHonfire;

Good pics and thanks! Any sign of a forward barrel bulge?

Prag
i did not get to look at the gun for long cuz the man over the range took it so he could have a better look, but did get them pictures from somone elses cell phone... i know shooting led in a glock is a big no no but i dont think he was using reloads....
Old 07-24-2008, 08:14 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 1,209 Times in 528 Posts

Reload . (They will never admit to it .)
Unsupported Chamber in the 40 Glocks .

All the damage started at the BACK of the chamber . Thats where the round let go first . If it was a squib first the barrel would have popped also .

Reload . ie; Gunshow special ammo .

PS and By The Way : Every Thing ( in this case guns ) man made has blown up at one point or another . Every make and Model of firearm has or will KB .
Old 07-24-2008, 08:17 PM
Check Patch Thread

I saw this same thing once from a reloader who had reloaded his cases a few to many times, and they were to thin to hold the pressure, a few extra grains of hot powder and this is what it looked like. It wasn't in a Glock it was in a Ruger. He was using cheap brass anyway so that might have been an issue. Sardude is right, when it happens because of a blockage it is usually farther down the barrel, unless the blockage is right at the front.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:46 AM
I drink your milkshake!

If the barrel was clear, wouldn't the pieces of brass casing have at least blown out the end? Does the fact that the split front-end of the casing is still in the barrel say it was obstructed?
Old 07-25-2008, 02:04 AM
Check Patch Thread

No, not necessarily. The brass is held by the back of the cartridge in the barrel. When it wears, it does so on the sides, but not so much on the much thicker back where it comes in contact with the chamber. When it bursts, it does it like confetti. This is what I see in the pictures. Not sure if this is the reason, but if I were the smith I would venture to guess.

Brass ammo, doesn't look like Wolf. It seems to be hot loaded there was possibly a crack in the chamber before hand. I couldn't really make an assessment without seeing the loads and the gun. Just an educated guess, I would like to see what the smith who handled the pistols after the incident says.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:44 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,615 Times in 1,552 Posts

I've never heard about a glock blowing up with normal factory-made ammo, it's always with reloads. So my guess is, just don't shoot reloads in a glock. If you want to shoot reloads, buy another kind of gun.
Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 AM
Rifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMHonfire View Post
Well a few days ago i was testing out a few rent guns to see what i liked better and off to my far right hand side a man has his glock 40 blow up right in his face
here are some pictures

everyone ran to him and asked what happen... This makes me not want to fire my glock 19....:headshake
Look at the flash hole in the first picture. To blow out that big this thing had to explode. Only time I have ever seen this was from a double charge from a fast burning powder. Could have even been a triple charge.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:47 AM
G_D'S Gonna Cut You Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe View Post
I've never heard about a glock blowing up with normal factory-made ammo, it's always with reloads. So my guess is, just don't shoot reloads in a glock. If you want to shoot reloads, buy another kind of gun.
Hate to **** off the Glock lovers, but Reloads or not, just buy another kind of gun, period.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaleb For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2008, 11:46 AM

Another Glock Kaboom. Looks like it blew right out the bottom where the case is unsupported. This is a more than occasional occurance with Glocks. One blew up in a friends hand two days ago. 10mm with factory ammo. He lucked out, no injuries to him. Another man I met at a gun show had a 40 Glock blow up and he was having his third hand surgery. Glock afficianados will go to great lengths to deny that their favorites can go bad and will blame everything but the poorly designed barrel. I'm sure my comments will set off a frothy defense of these Austrian gifts to hand and face reconstructive surgeons retirements funds. A quick check on a search engine for Glock Kabooms will surprise you. Here's just one story.

I didn't own a Ford Pinto, I don't base jump, skin dive with sharks, climb the outside of sky scrapers and I especially do not shoot Glocks. I have polymer, but it's an FNP-45, fully supported chamber.

If you must shoot those things, Get a safe replacement barrel like a Bar Sto.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cz75tac For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2008, 12:20 PM
Aquaholic

Thanked 3,499 Times in 1,382 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpower View Post
Look at the flash hole in the first picture. To blow out that big this thing had to explode. Only time I have ever seen this was from a double charge from a fast burning powder. Could have even been a triple charge.
I don't think you can double charge a .40 or 9mm and still seat the bullet, you certainly can''t triple charge one.