Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Firearms General Discussion > Rifle Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Member - it's a euphemism

Default Mosin Nagant, rail, scope, and bent bolt ?

Advertise Here

I am thinking of changing the stock on my Mosin Nagant to a Monte Carlo composite. So, I was thinking that maybe I should add a scope. So, I need to add a rail. I also need to do a bent bolt conversion. Anyone do this?
What I am running into are people telling me that you have to notch the stock, or you do not have to notch the stock. You have just replace the yard finder with a rail kit. I am seeing scope acronyms I am not familiar with.
I would just like to mount a modern scope to it. I see on ebay and gunbroker, someone selling the bent bolt conversion, but says it:
This converted handle will work with PU, PE, PEM, PO and POSP scopes.
This handle will not work with the ATI or Rock Solid scope mounts.
For the ATI mount, this bolt will work if you modify your rail and shorten it by 1.8" at the rear

There just seem to be so many options and variables. I just do not want to start down one path, only to find out that I cannot accomplish what I want.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,540 Times in 688 Posts

The ATI style bent bolt has a lower profile than a PU/PE style bent bolt. So if you use an ATI rail you have to use a lower profile bent bolt like the ATI. You don't have to cut a relief in the ATI stock it already has one for the ATI bent bolt. But yes, an ATI style bent bolt requires a relief cut into the stock.

A PU/PE style bent bolt has a higher profile. It works fine with a PE or PU style mount. The PU/PE style bent bolt does not touch the rifle so no relief is needed in the stock for the bolt. But a relief must be cut into the stock for the PU mount. And the PE mount will need a relief cut if it is a hex but probably not if it is a round receiver.

Some of the other more modern mounts may require an ATI style bolt. I think Rock Solid requires one. You will have to read the product description.

Rails which attach in the rear sight generally don't require a bent bolt because the scope does not extend that far to the rear of the rifle. But you will need a scope with long eye relief. Measure the distance from your scope position back to your eye. If I recall from the rear sight position it is about 13" to 15". That limits your scope options to a pistol scope, red dot, or rifle scope with extremely long eye relief like the Leatherwood/Hi-lux or similar scope designed to be mounted in the scout position.

Unless you want to drill and tap the receiver, however, your best rail option is probably the scout type mount which attaches in the rear sight. ATI, PU, and PE all require drilling and tapping the receiver. Cutting wood is easy. Drilling and tapping 80 year old steel that has been heated and cooled repeatedly until it is hard and brittle isn't that easy.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 PM

I would just like to say that I breifly owned a Mosin Nagant with all of the ATI mods. Can't say I was too happy. Even with loctite, the screw on the bent bolt still liked to back out. The scope and mount were pretty nice, though. I recommend having a gunsmith install the mount, to make sure it's straight. Also, I can't say I was too terribly impressed by the synthetic stock. It wasn't bad, but certainly not great. Unfortunately, from my limited googling, it looks like ATI pretty much has the market cornered on synthetic stocks for mosin's.

Don't let me sway you too much, if it's really what you want to do. But that was just my experience. If I was going to do it over again, I would put the rifle on the benchrest and make sure that it could group well enough to justify a scope (my particular Mosin was not). Also, if you have problems with a sticky bolt, it was even harder to get leverage with the bolt bent down. Nowhere to "slap" the bolt back up. It would be wise to make sure any problems with that are solved beforehand.

There are some people out there who will bend your bolt for you (search "bolt man," I was very satisfied with my bent bolt from him, after replacing the ATI handle). These people can bend it either as a reproduction M91/30 sniper bolt, or they can bend it to work with the ATI mount. These services are not cheap, usually around $60. This may seem like a lot on a $90 rifle, but if you have a sweet shooter that's really worth all of the work and expense, go for it.

There's no doubt in my mind that you can make a nice setup that accomplishes what you want. I'm just stating some of my experiences with a similar project. In short, make sure the gun is worth the hassle, and try and get quality parts when possible. Good luck, and post pictures when it's done!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:44 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,540 Times in 688 Posts

Other stock options.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/Boyds-...gant-s/175.htm

http://www.loweldesigns.com/

http://rifle-stocks.com/

PU/PE Mounts
http://www.accumounts.com/

Here in an interesting long rail base for a rear sight mount
http://home.comcast.net/~yzhu/accumo...ian/m91_30.htm
Old 02-20-2012, 07:15 AM

Can someone recommend a gunsmith to who i can send my mosin nagant to have a stock changed and have a scope installed?
Old 02-21-2012, 12:38 PM
Prepared

I was in the same boat and decided to go with a rail that doesn't require a bent bolt in order to operate.... now the issues is trying to find a decent price on a good long eye relief scope!
Old 02-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Prepared

There is a way to mount a scope on a mosin without getting a bent bolt and its actually the cheapest route to go. i did it to mine and its pretty effective, i actually got a deer with mine this year with it. have a gunsmith take off the rear iron sight. its a 3/8ths dove tail under it which you can mount scope rings for a 22 to. then you can add a long eye relief scope and boom done. below is mine. my scope mount is technically on backwards i have to redo it this spring but it still worked and you'll get the point.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Prepared

btw total cost to setup the rifle that way including the rifle was $240

Scope was $90
Rifle was $100
$15 to have them take off my iron sight
and $35 for the scope mount
Old 03-27-2012, 01:25 PM

I decided to go with the original stock and put a cheek rest. The rail and bipod I got here: http://www.tickbitesupply.com/mos.html. Bent bolt here: http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/boltman/bolt_work/
I have to admit the accesssories cost more than the rifle, but I love my old Russian.
Attached Thumbnails
phone pics 512.jpg   phone pics 515.jpg  
Old 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
Target Shooter

huity7ugkghkhb,
Old 03-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Suburban Cowboy

Although I have a bent bolt, a scout scope configuration would not require one. Be advised ahead of time, the ATI composite stocks can need quite a bit of trimming to get the action and barrel to fit properly without any rubbing or binding.