Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2011, 11:48 PM
Semper Fi

Default 55 gallon drums for water storage

Advertise Here

I was wondering how feasible it would be to store water in those food grade 55 gallon drums and how long water would stay 'good' in there? I have space in the garage that I can put a few in. Seems better to me than storing gallon jugs all around the house.....thoughts??
The Following User Says Thank You to RivFam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 11:59 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,347 Times in 4,289 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

If it is food grade it is fine, you would need to treat the water in order for it to stay safe to drink. The most common way is to add bleach (only a cap full or so)

As for the time, that really depends, I check my water storage every 3 months, some folks do it every 6 months.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 12:06 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
If it is food grade it is fine, you would need to treat the water in order for it to stay safe to drink. The most common way is to add bleach (only a cap full or so)

As for the time, that really depends, I check my water storage every 3 months, some folks do it every 6 months.
At the risk of sounding dumb...how does someone check their water? Is it odor? taste? Color? Would you rotate the water out like you would regular food/pantry prep?
Old 11-16-2011, 12:15 AM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,347 Times in 4,289 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RivFam View Post
At the risk of sounding dumb...how does someone check their water? Is it odor? taste? Color? Would you rotate the water out like you would regular food/pantry prep?
I have a spigot that I use to get a glass of water. If it is an odd color that is bad, if it smells at all odd that is bad.

I use my water storage when I bake, my small garden, the 5 gal water container in my fridge. Just go to the prep water before your faucet.

Oh and this site has some good info for ya

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Straza For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM

What colour are your potential storage drums?

I find the best one are the dark, non see through ones...it seems like my water stays cleaner tasting in those. If they're the clear plastic food barrels though, don't worry I've got a bunch of 6-7 gallon containers and I but them inside extra large, heavy duty black garbage bags. Keeps the light from affecting them and also gives me an extra bunch of garbage bags if I need them.

And oh yeah, make sure to use a little bleach to help eliminate germs and inhibit growth of nasty things.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IFRSteveD For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 07:03 AM

Make sure your using the safest plastics for any storage if you intend on consuming any of it. #2, #4, #5 are said to be the safest to use without much leeching.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...ood-and-drink/
The Following User Says Thank You to Terium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straza View Post
I have a spigot that I use to get a glass of water. If it is an odd color that is bad, if it smells at all odd that is bad.

I use my water storage when I bake, my small garden, the 5 gal water container in my fridge. Just go to the prep water before your faucet.

Oh and this site has some good info for ya

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/
this link is great, thank you very much.

[quote=IFRSteveD;3450865]What colour are your potential storage drums?
QUOTE]

they are blue, non see-through

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terium View Post
Make sure your using the safest plastics for any storage if you intend on consuming any of it. #2, #4, #5 are said to be the safest to use without much leeching.

http://modernsurvivalblog.com/preps/...ood-and-drink/
Another great link, thank you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RivFam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:21 AM

Thanked 4,673 Times in 1,862 Posts

The big drums give you the opportunity to have a relatively large quantity of water around without having a bunch of containers spread out all over the place (one 55 gal drum vs fifty five 1 gallon bottles).

There is a product you add to the water that keeps it good for 5 years (check link).

Old 11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
USArmy Vietnam Vet 70-73

I was under the understanding that water didn't really go bad ,but loses O2 ,if you take 2 5 gal buckets and pore them back and forth to regenerate the o2 in them it gets it's taste back? I'm Not 100% sure on this but seems I've read it here on on another Blog.
also as said add a small amount of bleach?? If anyone remembers this let me know if right?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fr1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 04:16 PM
Hunter

take the 55 gallon drums and plumb them to a outside hose bib then put the hose on the out going side of the drums so when you turn on the hose you will have water flowing though the drums , always fresh water ! can hook several together inline !
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cj06 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Ná satail orm

Thanked 1,198 Times in 486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj06 View Post
take the 55 gallon drums and plumb them to a outside hose bib then put the hose on the out going side of the drums so when you turn on the hose you will have water flowing though the drums , always fresh water ! can hook several together inline !
That sounds like a great idea. I was planning on putting a 55 gal. drum in my basement but was concerned on how to keep it fresh. I could plumb it into the cold water supply line for our washing machine with shutoffs and a parallel line so it can be bypassed if I want or need to........... Thanks for the idea!!! My neighbor has access to the blue food grade plastic barrels and can get me one dirt cheap.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Longshanks For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
If it was chlorinated and then sealed, you can test the water with a simple pool test kit to determine if the chlorine level is low or safe to drink.
I use discarded industrial drums which held isopropal alcohol for storage of water to be used for cleaning and such.
If rinsed out thouroughly they can be used for potable water storage, the food grade drums are expensive.
Alan
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 PM
Libertarian

Thanked 1,455 Times in 699 Posts

I have three 55 gallon barrels fron Emergency Essentials,dark blue in color. I filled them with water from house(city water). I don't think it needs to be checked ever.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:50 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prankster View Post
I have three 55 gallon barrels fron Emergency Essentials,dark blue in color. I filled them with water from house(city water). I don't think it needs to be checked ever.
If you got them new then your OK but if they were ever used I would check them a few time over a period of several months, just to make sure that nothing bad is growing in them.
Alan
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Rock'em Sock'em Glock'em

Quote:
I was wondering how feasible it would be to store water in those food grade 55 gallon drums and how long water would stay 'good' in there? I have space in the garage that I can put a few in. Seems better to me than storing gallon jugs all around the house.....thoughts??
We just use bleach and rotate the water we use. So we always have around 1200 gallons in 55 gallon drums. okay so there is 30 drums at around 55 gallons so it around 1600-1650 give or take?

On another note buy drink mix or mixes too. Tang!!!ETC. KOOL-AID
Old 11-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboonedockssaint View Post
We just use bleach and rotate the water we use. So we always have around 1200 gallons in 55 gallon drums. okay so there is 30 drums at around 55 gallons so it around 1600-1650 give or take?

On another note buy drink mix or mixes too. Tang!!!ETC. KOOL-AID
I know bleach contains chlorine and chlorine is what you want to disinfect water... but does bleach have other stuff in it that might not be so good to drink?
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtex View Post
I know bleach contains chlorine and chlorine is what you want to disinfect water... but does bleach have other stuff in it that might not be so good to drink?
Bleach is toxic in high enough amounts. But a cap full for a 55 gallon drum isn't harmful.

On topic, I'm not sure about storing water in a 55 gallon drum. I'm afraid of the water going stagnant fast. I rotate my water every month, just today I found some black crud growing in my water bladder in my BOB.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:12 PM
Parapup

There is a reason bleach is one of the items that FEMA recommends for emergency supply.

We use 55 gallon water barrels in our AO, the correct ratio is 16 drops per gallon. I think we ended up using 1/4 cup bleach for our 55g drums.

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/watermanage.shtm
The Following User Says Thank You to djthemac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 PM

since you need at the very least 1 gallon per day per person, you'd need 7 such drums for a year's supply. Why bother? Why not just go to the source of your local water and live there, for a year, in a concealed bunker, emerging only at night, of course. After a year, nearly everyone will be dead and you will be free to do pretty much anything that you are capable of doing.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tern View Post
since you need at the very least 1 gallon per day per person, you'd need 7 such drums for a year's supply. Why bother? Why not just go to the source of your local water and live there, for a year, in a concealed bunker, emerging only at night, of course. After a year, nearly everyone will be dead and you will be free to do pretty much anything that you are capable of doing.
Huh?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alan m For This Useful Post: