Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2011, 01:16 PM

Default How can I convince my family to prep?

Advertise Here

My parents and brother are the kind of people who don't pay too much attention to current events and could not care less about preparing for anything. How can I convince them to start preparing themselves or at least convince them to stop giving me the crazy eye rolls when I tell them about my preping and my fears?
Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Never Give up

Thanked 12,273 Times in 3,970 Posts

Dont. The more you push the worst it will get. Do what you need and keep it to yourself. Burry your supplies so they dont know about them. And play the sheep.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rascals For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,182 Times in 2,159 Posts

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still".

Do your own prepping and when some kind of natural disaster such as a hurricane or tornado hits nearby (you're in hurricane zone, right?) make sure you have things they will need...water, lights, batteries, etc. At some point you just have to stop talking to them; let them roll their eyes unil you have what they need (or want).

All the best.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:28 PM
Hunter

For me it is look at more for bad time's. Nothing wrong in any way having a years supply of food. Anyone can lose there job get sick what ever. This is a supply you can fall back on for lost of reason's other than the world ending as we know it. The supply what you eat and eat what you supply is a good one. Dont set on 50 cases of tuna and nothing else! We have live stock to so the grain can be milled for tham at any time to. It can also be planted and sprouts aswell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smokinthelast1 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 PM

Never had a hurricane, at least not in my lifetime, but tornados are frequent in the spring. I don't want to force them to prep and I am preping to support them to but if they preped themselves it would be easier on us all if TSHTF.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncivilized Future For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Target Shooter

I'd say if you want to convince your family don't push it on them all at once. Just like with convincing anyone of most anything it takes time and repetition. Little pushes. I don't bring it up that often, but when I do I pretty much say there's a lot of danger of getting the crap end of the stick if the SHTF in whatever form it may come. Make them realize that the world is not static and is ever changing. All you need to do to know what is coming is crack open a history book. Wars, famines, natural disasters, political struggles, Civil Wars, economic collapses, ethnic genocides, religious persecutions, etc. All these can be seen happening all throughout history and for some reason people think we're immune to this things. The biggest tree has the hardest fall.

Having the family "preparing" for the idea of prepping is a big step for some people to take. To think the world as we know it could end to some people is too scary to even think about so they just ignore it or say "oh well if that happened I wouldn't want to live anyways". I just can't believe people when I hear that and think that they're just making convenient excuses now, but when the SHTF they'll be knocking down my door asking for help trying to survive.
I don't like the idea of hiding it from family, I think you should try to get them prepping too. I've done it with distant family members and told me I was just crazy. So be it, and if the SHTF I'll tell them they're crazy if they think they're getting my preps. As for my immediate family I'm still trying and they are starting to understand why I prep and why they should too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Panzerfaust19k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivilized Future View Post
Never had a hurricane, at least not in my lifetime, but tornados are frequent in the spring. I don't want to force them to prep and I am preping to support them to but if they preped themselves it would be easier on us all if TSHTF.
Got to spin it like money in the bank......We are prepping for lost income. Look for coupons sales things like that. Throw an extra 50.00 bucks a month and fill the pantry up. Cant see a rub there. Heck I am only 6 months right now but lots in place to triple that over the next month or two.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:39 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,182 Times in 2,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinthelast1 View Post
Got to spin it like money in the bank......We are prepping for lost income. Look for coupons sales things like that. Throw an extra 50.00 bucks a month and fill the pantry up. Cant see a rub there. Heck I am only 6 months right now but lots in place to triple that over the next month or two.

Good way to go. DH was not into "stocking up" at all; in fact, he used to say "why are you buying more of that; we have 3 cans at home". But when he lost his job about a year ago, the food preps sure came in handy...
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,385 Times in 1,441 Posts

If frequent tornadoes hasnt prompted them to prep then they are lost sheeple and you need to cut your losses now.

Thats not to say you should turn your back on them, but at this point theres no convincing them. Make sure you are taken care of first and then start trying to put a few things back for them. Nothing major, a few days of food and hygiene products but I wouldnt be trying to stock a years worth of food for them. At some point they will have to be on their own.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:46 PM

I have been trying to first convince them all to each get a gun first for self and home defense and I also tell them to buy extra food and keep a few gallons of drinking water on hand. This small stuff still seems like a chore to them all...
Old 11-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Target Shooter

Quote:
I have been trying to first convince them all to each get a gun first for self and home defense and I also tell them to buy extra food and keep a few gallons of drinking water on hand. This small stuff still seems like a chore to them all...
Everyone is spoiled these days and take simple things like clean water for granted. It's sad it seems like a chore to a lot of people to have 3 days worth of preps for disasters or something.

I myself have 55gal drum, and tons of wine jugs and bottles full of drinking water. You never know, and 3 days without water, you're dead.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Panzerfaust19k For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,039 Times in 2,085 Posts

You can't
Why try?
Let them be fat, dumb and happy for a while longer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Baby steps....I would think anyone who lives in Texas would want lots of extra water around....Like someone else said 3 days and your dead. Being in Dallas city water goes out for any reason your not going to get water anywhere in 3 days.....Heck start with 10 cases of water and hide
it.
Old 11-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Target Shooter

Well...you could have them read the following PDF...and then wait for the NEXT local SHTF event...and take them in to observe the local crowd behavior when they are fighting over what is remaining on the shelf...(I.E. - Bread, Milk, Eggs...etc...etc)

http://www.truckline.com/Newsroom/Tr...ca%20Stops.pdf

And that's if the electricity is on...and they can even ring you out at the front...if not it could be much worse...talking about maybe a matter of hours to clear pretty much everything off the shelf...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jglawson123 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 02:30 PM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,776 Posts

Don't burn any brain cells trying. My parents and sisters' and their families are just going to pray more. And I always thought they were much smarter than this? And they think I am the crazy one!
Old 11-15-2011, 02:45 PM
Prepared

Probably can't convince them.

You could try loaning/giving them the book "One Second After." It has a high success rate.

Preparing for tornados, talk about the April 27th ones in Alabama. No power for a week. How are you gonna keep food or medicine cold? How are you going to see, flashlights, candles, etc? How are you going to cook? Do you have propane for the grill? How will you do laundry? Might help.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I will try in baby steps but I will also let them live their own lives and hope they pull their heads out of their rear ends parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Uncivilized Future For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
I am a woman. :o)

Thanked 7,109 Times in 2,272 Posts

Uncivilized Future, here was my answer to a similar question:

What I have done is this:
1. I do not tell anyone what my preps are because I do not want us to become a target.
2. I talk tangentially about prepping; I do not preach or set scary or unreallistic goals.
3. I have given the people I care about 2 cases of water, and a small tote of goods: 2 jars of peanutbutter, some cans of ravioli, raisins, lemonade mix, bag of candy, etc. to fill the tote. Water and all it came in well under 40 bucks.
This was stated as per the Ready.gov guidelines for having about 3 day of supplies.
4. The ball is now in their court, I have done the best that I can.

Hope this helps. :o)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM
Prepared

Completely the opposite for us, I am the retired person trying to convince my son (26). I have convinced my husband by using humor. He thought I was mad at first but he often comments on things that would be good to stockpile. Our BOB is always with us now.

Any prepping we are doing in our remote home would in reality be for him, providing he could get to us.

Young people rarely watch the news, he and his friends constantly watch TV, videos and reruns of tv programmes. I shall continue my gentle hints, give him an EDC for Christmas with a flash drive of documents and old photos, and make sure he knows he and a couple of friends would be welcome down here.

What more can I do?

Libellula

http://washy-anotherquietdayinthecorbieres.blogspot.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Libellula For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 07:22 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,100 Times in 4,358 Posts

Quote:
My parents and brother are the kind of people who don't pay too much attention to current events and could not care less about preparing for anything. How can I convince them to start preparing themselves or at least convince them to stop giving me the crazy eye rolls when I tell them about my preping and my fears?
You probably can't convince them to either start prepping or stop eyerolling. But you can try. Direct them to FEMA, which says people SHOULD prepare for disaster and be ready to survive on their own for at least 72 hours (http://www.ready.gov/build-a-kit). Wait until after the next major disaster - which should take place any day now - and then pepper the scoffers with tales of what the unprepared went through and how they suffered. If your family history includes stories about the Great Depression and what grandparents endured, bring those up and make them uncomfortable about what something like that would be like, now. And if all else fails, to toot my own horn, make them a Doomsday bucket and hope it's enough to enable them to last long enough to get to your door...

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=198745