Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files



Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 01:11 AM
alisium's Avatar
alisium alisium is offline
Trapper
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sadly... in Washington.
Posts: 975
Thanks: 932
Thanked 1,329 Times in 566 Posts
Default Dollar Tree Food Products.



Advertise Here

So thanks to this site I discovered the Dollar Tree. For a while I confused it with some check cashing place. But, I found two local here.

My big question is this:

How does the food taste?

I went there and saw they have something similar to Velveeta Shells and Cheese and was going to buy a bunch (I try to use food that need little or no preparation in my preps) but hesitated because I was unsure of the brand.

It seems they have their own generic brand. How is it? What's good? What should I stay away from?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 AM
OKCorral's Avatar
OKCorral OKCorral is offline
Tin is the new gold
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Texas y'all
Posts: 472
Thanks: 223
Thanked 957 Times in 329 Posts
Default

Read the labels of the off brands. Some of the food is "made in china".
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to OKCorral For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 01:26 AM
adog's Avatar
adog adog is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 167
Thanks: 170
Thanked 171 Times in 71 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCorral View Post
Read the labels of the off brands. Some of the food is "made in china".
isnt that weird that Chinese Restaurants use food made in the USA but supermarkets and the like have food made in china?
Old 11-14-2011, 03:38 AM
Pawiscoming's Avatar
Pawiscoming Pawiscoming is offline
Born to prep
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: nc IN.
Posts: 2,344
Thanks: 587
Thanked 2,378 Times in 1,012 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Stay away from the Southgate foods I have as of yet to try one that was not nasty. The bags of corn flakes are good. I like the sliced pepperoni and salami and I have some in my BOB. I drink the 3 L bottles of pop they sell and reuse the bottles of other things. I like the pickles they are made in India.

The best thing to do is buy something new each week and if you like it buy more if you do not you are only out a dollar.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pawiscoming For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 05:18 AM
Herbalpagan's Avatar
Herbalpagan Herbalpagan is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: on a mountain top
Posts: 2,765
Thanks: 7,815
Thanked 4,206 Times in 1,563 Posts
Default

I generally stick to the name brand stuff in Dollar Tree when it comes to food. But; remember it's only a buck to try something! I have had no problems with most of what I've tried, including their medicines.
The Following User Says Thank You to Herbalpagan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 AM
MadPrepper MadPrepper is offline
This is a great survival forum
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Zone 9b
Age: 58
Posts: 1,470
Thanks: 263
Thanked 1,406 Times in 614 Posts
Default

The only food that's a good deal for me is lemon juice.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:08 AM
97guns's Avatar
97guns 97guns is offline
SLUMLORD
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: in a casino
Posts: 2,689
Thanks: 16
Thanked 3,417 Times in 1,505 Posts
Default

i dont like their egg noodles, i forget the brand but its very starchy
Old 11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
ClipInMag's Avatar
ClipInMag ClipInMag is offline
Prepared
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MidWest Indiana
Posts: 306
Thanks: 102
Thanked 422 Times in 175 Posts
Default

I have yet to try something that was terrible from Dollar Tree, but some of my friends would claim that I don't have the most discerning pallet. :P

Some of the things have tasted a bit "off" from what the name-brand item is (I got a generic "Gold Fish" box and they just didn't hit the spot the same way the pricey ones do), but other than that I've had no problems. Herbalpagan has a good point... you're only wasting a buck if you find you really don't like something. And they do indeed have name brand items (Propel water is the first thing that comes to mind for me).

I'm sure now that you've discovered this store there will be no going back. LOL. I do like half or more of my shopping there.
The Following User Says Thank You to ClipInMag For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 AM
rachelinnys rachelinnys is offline
Hunter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: wayne county ny
Posts: 1,475
Thanks: 610
Thanked 1,861 Times in 781 Posts
Default

they have good frosted animal crackers there...and candy.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM
MCopes's Avatar
MCopes MCopes is offline
Stayin' above ground
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 145
Thanks: 293
Thanked 272 Times in 91 Posts
Default

I found a lot of good stuff at the Dollar Tree over the years, but mostly in the area of "non-consumables" like emergency candles, laundry soap, dish soap, bandages, etc. They used to carry small cans of pork and beef products that were fine for use in flavoring beans, lintels, etc., but they were clearly marked "product of USA". Lately I've seen more items marked as "distributed by ...", where the country of origin is not indicated. I interpret this to mean "product of China", and I'll have no part of it.

Also, be careful with cheap medical items like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. One of their main suppliers of these items is a company named "Assured", which is definitely of Chinese origin. There has just been too much bad press about junk found in everything from dog food to pharmaceuticals coming out of China; I don't even want to sample it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCopes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 08:26 AM
KCChimneyman KCChimneyman is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas for now
Posts: 3,351
Thanks: 552
Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,619 Posts
Default

There Corned Beef Hash, Chicken & Dumplings and Beef Stew are good a little greasy but very tasty. We have tried the shells and cheese and it is good , not the same but good, needs more cheese. Our has packaged rice and noodles like Knorr, and it is just as good but less variety. So far we have liked everything we have gotten their except their chips they were stale, but did make a great fire starter with all the oil they had in them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 08:33 AM
KCChimneyman KCChimneyman is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas for now
Posts: 3,351
Thanks: 552
Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,619 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCopes View Post
Also, be careful with cheap medical items like aspirin, ibuprofen, etc. One of their main suppliers of these items is a company named "Assured", which is definitely of Chinese origin. There has just been too much bad press about junk found in everything from dog food to pharmaceuticals coming out of China; I don't even want to sample it.
I have used the meds from Dollar Tree and have for several years they have worked as well as any and cost a lot less than most. I don't however use their Tylenol or Ibuprofen, not because of fear of it being contaminated, but because I have found it cheaper to buy in larger quantities from Walmart or Sam's.
As far as the press coverage of China, I take it like I do most things the press says are bad you know, survivalists, red meat, personal responsibility, etc.
Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
LadyFenix LadyFenix is offline
Prepared Firebird
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,844
Thanks: 7,797
Thanked 9,871 Times in 2,741 Posts
Default

Many American companies are importing food products from other countries (like things made/grown in China, for example)......and then re-labeling them to indicate "distributed by" the American company.

"Distributed by" is definitely NOT the same thing as "grown in America". This sneaky packaging is mostly done on generic products. You need to be very careful what you buy with a generic label on it......whether you are at Dollar Tree or your grocery store.

Something I learned from a friend, who lived and worked in China for quite a while......Chinese manufacturers store a lot of products destined for export in huge vats. These vats are NEVER washed or cleaned out.......and NO distinction is made between food or toxic/poisonous non-food products. If a vat is empty, it WILL get filled with something. They don't care what. It's a constant cycle of re-use with these vats. So.......beans (or some other fruit/vegetable/other food product, etc.) could easily end up being dumped into a vat that previously held a household or automotive substance that was NEVER supposed to be consumed by humans.

So........my friend warned me NEVER to buy anything with a Made in China or "distributed by" label on it that conceivably could have been stored in a vat before it was packaged and exported.

It is wise to remember that China is not observing the same safety standards that American manufacturers do. They are doing whatever generates the most profit for them. The Chinese didn't care about the toxic pet food, or the dangerous children's toys. And, they don't care if you get sick from eating contaminated food products exported by them, either.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to LadyFenix For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
KCChimneyman KCChimneyman is offline
Recent Blog:
Survivor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Kansas for now
Posts: 3,351
Thanks: 552
Thanked 3,203 Times in 1,619 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFenix View Post
Many American companies are importing food products from other countries (like things made/grown in China, for example)......and then re-labeling them to indicate "distributed by" the American company.

"Distributed by" is definitely NOT the same thing as "grown in America". This sneaky packaging is mostly done on generic products. You need to be very careful what you buy with a generic label on it......whether you are at Dollar Tree or your grocery store.

Something I learned from a friend, who lived and worked in China for quite a while......Chinese manufacturers store a lot of products destined for export in huge vats. These vats are NEVER washed or cleaned out.......and NO distinction is made between food or toxic/poisonous non-food products. If a vat is empty, it WILL get filled with something. They don't care what. It's a constant cycle of re-use with these vats. So.......beans (or some other fruit/vegetable/other food product, etc.) could easily end up being dumped into a vat that previously held a household or automotive substance that was NEVER supposed to be consumed by humans.

So........my friend warned me NEVER to buy anything with a Made in China or "distributed by" label on it that conceivably could have been stored in a vat before it was packaged and exported.

It is wise to remember that China is not observing the same safety standards that American manufacturers do. They are doing whatever generates the most profit for them. The Chinese didn't care about the toxic pet food, or the dangerous children's toys. And, they don't care if you get sick from eating contaminated food products exported by them, either.
And your friend if he looked hard enough on the net would find beakless,featherless chickens that KFC uses, pink goo that is chicken nuggets, and a wide variety of other claims that show how bad some food is. Yes there have been problems with chinese products, but never has there been E-coli tainted lettuce and spinach, or listeria tainted cantaloupe, or contaminated chicken or beef from American companies. RIGHT?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KCChimneyman For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 06:09 PM
patcash patcash is offline
Endowed by Our Creator
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Under God
Posts: 1,734
Thanks: 3,464
Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,012 Posts
Default

The other day I picked up a pack of Teriyaki noodles from our Dollar Tree. It wasn't bad going down, but a couple hours later I was eating Tums. (Let's just leave the details there).

A couple days later I tried a can of Gravy and Beef that I picked up at the same time. There was about 1 tsp of beef and the rest was gravy. I'll stick with Costco's Kirkland canned beef.

For now, I'm only buying name brand foods only from Dollar Tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to patcash For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
snowpeasandcarrots snowpeasandcarrots is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 83
Thanks: 139
Thanked 128 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I bought several 29 oz cans of hominy for $1 each.

It's got lots of fiber, a low glycemic index and is a nice change of pace from our "usual" fare. I used some in a big batch of vegetarian chili (along with black beans), and I thought it turned out very tasty.

I saw in another thread how to make hominy (and I hope to do that in the future), but for now, I'll go with the $1 cans.
The Following User Says Thank You to snowpeasandcarrots For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 PM
Ranger 6 Ranger 6 is offline
I love this forum
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 539
Thanks: 692
Thanked 527 Times in 217 Posts
Default

I live off Dollar Tree food because I am a poor veteran working for poor wages providing for the rich so they can have more riches. Maybe, I will live longer than the rich due to the high fiber in Dollar Tree food.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:34 AM
POPPALUV's Avatar
POPPALUV POPPALUV is offline
Your DS Prez. (for life)
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Da Nawlins bayous
Posts: 16,737
Thanks: 28,221
Thanked 34,279 Times in 11,729 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCChimneyman View Post
And your friend if he looked hard enough on the net would find beakless,featherless chickens that KFC uses, pink goo that is chicken nuggets, and a wide variety of other claims that show how bad some food is. Yes there have been problems with chinese products, but never has there been E-coli tainted lettuce and spinach, or listeria tainted cantaloupe, or contaminated chicken or beef from American companies. RIGHT?
NO nuggets are "pink goo". They are chunks of real chicken breast (not to say it doesn't contain hormones or crap.)
Old 11-15-2011, 12:51 AM
Mr. Beef's Avatar
Mr. Beef Mr. Beef is offline
Stay the Course
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Indiana
Age: 30
Posts: 471
Thanks: 664
Thanked 520 Times in 206 Posts
Default

Everything I've tried from there has been good. But you have to watch. Sometimes you can get that stuff cheaper at Wal-Mart or Krogers. Its all a numbers game.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2011, 01:40 AM
Survivalguy72 Survivalguy72 is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11,688
Thanks: 0
Thanked 8,934 Times in 4,448 Posts
Default

I think Dollar Tree is where I draw the line when buying food.
Reply

Bookmarks



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New (to me) Dollar Tree candles. sarge912 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 17 09-12-2011 05:37 PM
Dollar-Tree food items robotomos Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 4 05-04-2011 09:30 AM
Dollar Tree Sprocket830 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 12 04-01-2011 09:03 PM
Dollar Tree For Preps phaack Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 16 03-19-2011 07:37 PM
Dollar Tree LoneWolf83 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 02-07-2010 10:17 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright Kevin Felts 2006 - 2012,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net


This site is Gunny Approved