Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Prepared

Default Texas Emissions testing!

Advertise Here

Whoever started this crap needs aboot up their @$$. Every year it cost $$$. Replace this - nope. Replace that-it worked. This year it's the egr valve - no, it's not but now it's replaced so check the DPFE sensor.
I swear living in the town i'm in with an out of date sticker is like walking through the ghetto at night flashing money around.

Ok. Vent over.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2minutes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Getting There!

Thanked 10,129 Times in 4,418 Posts

I've never seen the testing done here. Is this new?

I have a '99 Hyundai that's out of inspection.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:27 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 3,318 Times in 1,724 Posts

I have never seen this and we run a fleet, oh looks like some pain coming for our small business.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Tired of you people

Thanked 11,275 Times in 4,270 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I keep my truck in good running order and it costs me $26 a year
Old 11-08-2011, 07:44 PM
Prepared

It's for Harris and the surrounding counties. I keep my truck in good running order as well but those pollution control items are a B#$%^ to track down and fix. Has nothing to do with safety or drivability. Some years ago the type of person ( a greenie weenie ) decided that carrying their own cloth bags to the grocery store just wasn't gay enough. They thought everyone should suffer for driving an automobile.
The local cops just love to protect us from people with expired stickers. Doesn't matter if you have a stack of test results and reciepts for parts - you're still paying the ticket / tickets !
They've got some kind of exemption - FOR PEOPLE UNDER THE POVERTY LEVEL!!
How could someone under the poverty level afford gas to drive around much less own a car and pay insurance?
At this rate I might end up there just from buying parts.

Well, I thought the rant was over. Maybe I should just run for office and do something about it. I'll be the ****ed off guy who's sick of all this $#%^.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2minutes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Above all, endure

Y'all must be running much older vehicles. I took my Dodge down the other day and it's about 5000 miles overdue for an oil change and needs an air filter cleaning (K&N) -- $15 for the inspection and it passed.

Much cheaper than the $75 every 2 years I had to pay when I lived in Alaska, and they have much tighter restrictions on emissions. They didn't give a rip about 'safety' just emissions, unlike Texas.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm tryin'

I live in Harris county and emissions testing sucks. My wife inherited property in Liberty county, we registered both our vehicles there because Liberty doesn't do emissions, just the old safety inspection.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Above all, endure

I'm in Bell County and my truck's only about 7 years old. I wasn't sore about the inspection, but the darn near $200 it cost me to register the dang thing in Texas! That $90 out of state fee sure hit me when I didn't need it to lol.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:44 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,662 Times in 2,178 Posts

Those smog inspections aint got as much to do with keeping the air clean as much as they do generating income for the state and the auto industry. Thats why I own a much older truck that hardly has a sensor or smog device and in 3 years will be smog exempt!!!
Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Back of beyond!

Location: the high country, n. Arizona. Just recently bought a house off the grid, & had solar pwr installed.
Thanked 4,485 Times in 1,717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes View Post
It's for Harris and the surrounding counties. I keep my truck in good running order as well but those pollution control items are a B#$%^ to track down and fix. Has nothing to do with safety or drivability. Some years ago the type of person ( a greenie weenie ) decided that carrying their own cloth bags to the grocery store just wasn't gay enough. They thought everyone should suffer for driving an automobile.
The local cops just love to protect us from people with expired stickers. Doesn't matter if you have a stack of test results and reciepts for parts - you're still paying the ticket / tickets !
They've got some kind of exemption - FOR PEOPLE UNDER THE POVERTY LEVEL!!
How could someone under the poverty level afford gas to drive around much less own a car and pay insurance?
At this rate I might end up there just from buying parts.

Well, I thought the rant was over. Maybe I should just run for office and do something about it. I'll be the ****ed off guy who's sick of all this $#%^.
That's almost the way California started their smog tests a long time ago.
Now they have the most strict smog laws and expensive smog tests in the world after Japan.
Watch out Texans for the domino effect!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Poppin' mags

Thanked 1,828 Times in 908 Posts

We don't have emissions testing in this part of Florida, at least. Haven't for years.

I have a friend who once moved to California for a couple of years. He kept his old license and tag from Florida and didn't have to do any emissions testing. CA also wanted to charge him an impact fee of $2k for bringing a car into the state.

I imagine that someone who lives in Texas but moves to a state without emissions testing could probably come back to Texas and visit frequently without undergoing any kind of emissions nonsense. Furthermore, someone who had just moved out of state might also use a UPS store in said destination to receive mail from their new state. Most UPS stores forward mail.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:41 AM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes View Post

It's for Harris and the surrounding counties.
Can you go to another county for the inspection?

I'm still confused in that it is a state inspection, so how can a county override the state requirements?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I'm tryin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post

I'm still confused in that it is a state inspection, so how can a county override the state requirements?
Emissions testing is a state requirement in the most populated counties and most of the counties that border those counties. I believe it is around Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. You are supposed to only be able to get inspected in your home county, but I hear of people going to other non-emissions counties and getting inspected.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,528 Times in 682 Posts

Back when I lived in Nashville, Tn, they had emissions testing. I brought a car that wouldn't pass. So, I had my father get a tag in Carter cty and didnt have to worry about it.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:15 AM
RESET CONGRESS!!

Thanked 12,412 Times in 4,749 Posts

Imagine.

If everyone just said... no.

That won't happen, but just imagine. lol

I currently have a car that sat in the previous owner's garage for 10 years. It wouldn't pass emissions testing at the time, so he said screw it, I'll park it. Since then, emissions testing was discontinued. Now, I have a 30 year old, low mileage two seater ragtop with less than 50,000 miles that I got for almost nothin'. Thanks to government silliness.
The Following User Says Thank You to WSierra For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Chaos Inc.

Thanked 23,332 Times in 6,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post

No it's state law for those counties, and it has to be the county you reside in if you live in a smog test county.

So if you are in Harris or one of the counties that touch it then you are screwed. You can get a sticker elsewhere but it won't be valid I tried doing that a couple of years ago and it cost me a lot more in fines than the smog test would have.

Walker doesn't do them, my inspection was like $14 again since I moved farther away from Houston.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:20 AM
Getting There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSierra View Post

Imagine.

If everyone just said... no.

That won't happen, but just imagine. lol
To quite a few things actually. And yes, I can imagine!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Recent Blog: Autum Garden Stuff
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwisaacks View Post
Emissions testing is a state requirement in the most populated counties and most of the counties that border those counties. I believe it is around Houston, Dallas, and San Antonio. You are supposed to only be able to get inspected in your home county, but I hear of people going to other non-emissions counties and getting inspected.
Not San Antonio yet... I think we got a pass for another year or 2. But, Austin, I think requires emissions testing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to southtex For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Recent Blog:
Hiker

I am so glad i live where i live, no smog or inspection, just register and go.
Old 11-12-2011, 03:36 PM
SquiddusMaximus (Retired)

Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,340 Posts

Virginia and Maryland have the same Emissions tests. Done every 2 years in VA and I'm not sure about Maryland. I do know that it has to be done everytime a title is exchanged in either state (($$$)).