Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Trapper

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba1017 View Post
MRSA can be deadly. I nearly lost a family member to MRSA pneumonia. In the after math we went through months of battling MRSA to get it out of the home. Some of the advice given I agree with. Wash cloths and sheets in hot water with bleach. Add a cup of bleach to a full tub and soak to kill bacteria on the skin. Old time disinfectants like Iodine and Hydrogen Peroxide are more effective than some of the anti-baterial soaps and ointments that are available over the counter. Yellow bar Dial soap is a good preventative, but only retards, does not kill all the bacteria on your skin.

Popping blisters is generally not a good idea. The bacteria spreads all over when you do that, and Staph thrives on oxygen. Once exposed it festers even worse. But sometimes you have to drain and wick the abcess or your antibiotic will not work. Wicking the abcess involves cutting it open, debriding it, and packing it with a sterile wicking strip. Doing that yourself pretty much s**ks. I know, cause I've done it.

Sulfa based antibiotics are a first line antibiotic. Some of these are close to useless against MRSA. I've also known people to get Clindamycin, Genomycin, Rifampin, and even Cipro. I wouldn't sleep easy with those and a serious MRSA infection. By serious I don't mean a huge pimple, I mean one that has potential for sepsis or pneumonia. Pairing some of those up might be effective depending on the strain of MRSA. But the only sure fire antibiotic is Vancomycin. Doctors don't like to prescribe the Vanc because you have to take it through an IV and it can have serious repurcussions. But if you have a serious, potentially blood borne or pneumatic MRSA request the Vanc.

With respect to MRSA pneumonia, I'll add this. If you have active MRSA and are colonized in your nasal cavity and get the flu, or other upper respiratory illness you have a slight, though signifcant, risk of the MRSA getting into the lungs. MRSA eats your lungs in a matter of days. It is a very serious, deadly, infection. Don't mess around with MRSA.

I hate giving medical advice on an internet forum. If you have MRSA consult a physican. If it gets in your blood or in your lungs it will kill you. To get it off of you and out of your home: Bleach, Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, yellow bar Dial soap.
This is the most important thing, get yourself checked out. MRSA needs to be treated agressively. Had a lady die on our ward yesterday morning from MRSA sepsis horrible way to go.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to caledonianbu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Thanked 32,939 Times in 12,712 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 
Total Awards: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaba1017 View Post
MRSA can be deadly. I nearly lost a family member to MRSA pneumonia. In the after math we went through months of battling MRSA to get it out of the home. Some of the advice given I agree with. Wash cloths and sheets in hot water with bleach. Add a cup of bleach to a full tub and soak to kill bacteria on the skin. Old time disinfectants like Iodine and Hydrogen Peroxide are more effective than some of the anti-baterial soaps and ointments that are available over the counter. Yellow bar Dial soap is a good preventative, but only retards, does not kill all the bacteria on your skin.

Popping blisters is generally not a good idea. The bacteria spreads all over when you do that, and Staph thrives on oxygen. Once exposed it festers even worse. But sometimes you have to drain and wick the abcess or your antibiotic will not work. Wicking the abcess involves cutting it open, debriding it, and packing it with a sterile wicking strip. Doing that yourself pretty much s**ks. I know, cause I've done it.

Sulfa based antibiotics are a first line antibiotic. Some of these are close to useless against MRSA. I've also known people to get Clindamycin, Genomycin, Rifampin, and even Cipro. I wouldn't sleep easy with those and a serious MRSA infection. By serious I don't mean a huge pimple, I mean one that has potential for sepsis or pneumonia. Pairing some of those up might be effective depending on the strain of MRSA. But the only sure fire antibiotic is Vancomycin. Doctors don't like to prescribe the Vanc because you have to take it through an IV and it can have serious repurcussions. But if you have a serious, potentially blood borne or pneumatic MRSA request the Vanc.

With respect to MRSA pneumonia, I'll add this. If you have active MRSA and are colonized in your nasal cavity and get the flu, or other upper respiratory illness you have a slight, though signifcant, risk of the MRSA getting into the lungs. MRSA eats your lungs in a matter of days. It is a very serious, deadly, infection. Don't mess around with MRSA.

I hate giving medical advice on an internet forum. If you have MRSA consult a physican. If it gets in your blood or in your lungs it will kill you. To get it off of you and out of your home: Bleach, Iodine, Hydrogen Peroxide, yellow bar Dial soap.
Thanks. I did forget to mention Iodine which I had close at hand if and when I did open a sore. There were several situations where a boil would get so big that it would throb. I could usually see the white head and would use a medical grade razor to lance it and drain it. I would take special precautions when doing this and I would have peroxide, iodine, and rubbing alcohol close at hand. I would immediately disinfect the sore and all the skin around it then I would put iodine on the sore followed by a triple antibiotic gel like Neosporin on it. That would be followed by gauze and medical tape.

I don't know anything about Zanc but Bactrim was horrendous and made me violently ill.

I would have preferred to be in the care of a doctor but the two family doctors and the one emergency room doctor I saw did little to help my long term problem. One of them prescribed the nasal cream; another suggested Hibiclens; and the other prescribed the Bactrim. None of them explained what I had to do to conquer the disease (meant in the sense of dis-ease).

As a side note ... I'm certainly no doctor and the steps I took to help myself may not work for everyone. I would suggest seeking a doctor who knows about Staph and who has a true desire to help you.
The Following User Says Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,247 Times in 2,183 Posts

DH got a very nasty cut a couple of months ago and in the ensuing time, had to have nurses come to the house 3 x week to change the dressing, etc. He was also seeing a doctor at the hospital once/week for follow-up. After stitches were removed and the doctor decided to do a skin graft because the wound wasn't healing as hoped, the doctor kept him in hospital for about 10 days. While there, they tested for MRSA and yes, he had it. No one knows for sure if he picked it up at home (from the nurses) or from the hospital. He is home now and has the worse cold he has EVER had...he is in his 60s. I believe it is related, but we're still watching the MRSA closely.

Btw, I'm interested in OP's cure. Have you been tested negative for MRSA, or just had the symptoms disappear? It was my thought that everyone has MRSA bacteria on them at all times, but that elderly, very young or those with compromised immune systems are the ones that most often have it develop into something more serious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 AM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
DH got a very nasty cut a couple of months ago and in the ensuing time, had to have nurses come to the house 3 x week to change the dressing, etc. He was also seeing a doctor at the hospital once/week for follow-up. After stitches were removed and the doctor decided to do a skin graft because the wound wasn't healing as hoped, the doctor kept him in hospital for about 10 days. While there, they tested for MRSA and yes, he had it. No one knows for sure if he picked it up at home (from the nurses) or from the hospital. He is home now and has the worse cold he has EVER had...he is in his 60s. I believe it is related, but we're still watching the MRSA closely.

Btw, I'm interested in OP's cure. Have you been tested negative for MRSA, or just had the symptoms disappear? It was my thought that everyone has MRSA bacteria on them at all times, but that elderly, very young or those with compromised immune systems are the ones that most often have it develop into something more serious.
Howdy. I'm no expert but during my research on the subject I learned that everyone carries Staph. It's a bacteria that will never go away. The reason the MRSA version is so powerful is because it became resistant to over-used antibiotics that have been prescribed over the years.

So I doubt that I got rid of the Staph but I've zero symptoms for about 2-1/2 years now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ActionJackson For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,541 Times in 688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandma View Post
It was my thought that everyone has MRSA bacteria on them at all times, but that elderly, very young or those with compromised immune systems are the ones that most often have it develop into something more serious.
Everyone has Staph bacteria on them. But not all Staph bacteria is the same. MRSA is particular strain of anti-biotic resistant Staph. And not all MRSA is the same. Some strains are more pathological and tissue destructive than others.

When I was a kid a simple cut could be washed and covered with a band aide and it wasn't likely to get infected. Now days, you would be ill advised not to throughly sanitize the wound with an antiseptic, pack it with anti-bacterial ointment, and wrap it with a sterile bandage. These very aggressive forms of Staph are highly present in the community.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jaba1017 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 11,621 Times in 4,872 Posts

My wife got a normal staph infection. With antibiotics she got well. Them six months or later I got an infection. Antibiotics got me over it, too.

A couple of pointers that my doctor offered:

Wash your bar of soap thoroughly after bathing. If someone else uses it they can get it. You'll be spreading the bacteria on yourself too. I went out and bought liquid anti-bacterial soap after hearing that. I kept my wash rags sequestered and washed them separately in hot water and bleach. My infection was under arm. I wore old shirts and washed them in hot water and color safe bleach.

The feet pick up the bacteria, so disinfect the bath tub or shower floor after bathing. I used a strong bleach solution in hot water and my wife and daughter did not get infected.

The whole ordeal had me feeling like Typhoid Mary. The sequestered laundry had me feeling like I was sitting on a biological dump. I stayed home as long as I could, but they needed me. I kept myself sequestered as best I could. I had someone else make the coffee and tea that I normally made as the first one in and I did not have any.

I got off light. Mine was a simple staph infection, rather than the MRSA one. Power to you Action Jackson!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Bush Walker

Thanked 4,979 Times in 1,843 Posts

good info - glad you won the battle
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BUSHER For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Research, Learn, Share

I found one of the articles about Manula honey and internal use:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...oney-good-for/
Old 11-05-2011, 06:04 PM

I've contracted MRSA twice this year, its a major hassle to deal with not counting the misssed work days, it seems every body's been gett'n staph lately.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Johnny Incognito For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 06:48 PM

(NOT) a doctor but check into colloidal silver.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:56 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
My wife got a normal staph infection. With antibiotics she got well. Them six months or later I got an infection. Antibiotics got me over it, too.

A couple of pointers that my doctor offered:

Wash your bar of soap thoroughly after bathing. If someone else uses it they can get it. You'll be spreading the bacteria on yourself too. I went out and bought liquid anti-bacterial soap after hearing that. I kept my wash rags sequestered and washed them separately in hot water and bleach. My infection was under arm. I wore old shirts and washed them in hot water and color safe bleach.

The feet pick up the bacteria, so disinfect the bath tub or shower floor after bathing. I used a strong bleach solution in hot water and my wife and daughter did not get infected.

The whole ordeal had me feeling like Typhoid Mary. The sequestered laundry had me feeling like I was sitting on a biological dump. I stayed home as long as I could, but they needed me. I kept myself sequestered as best I could. I had someone else make the coffee and tea that I normally made as the first one in and I did not have any.

I got off light. Mine was a simple staph infection, rather than the MRSA one. Power to you Action Jackson!
Washing soap is good advice. Fortunately for me and my wife is that I use the bar soap and she soaks in the tub with the liquid dial.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:58 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
I found one of the articles about Manula honey and internal use:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/21...oney-good-for/

Wow. Honey from the Tea Tree. That's very cool. Honey is a natural antibiotic and so is Tea Tree oil. The two together is probably very effective. I'm gonna have to get some. Thanks for the link.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Research, Learn, Share

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActionJackson View Post
Wow. Honey from the Tea Tree. That's very cool. Honey is a natural antibiotic and so is Tea Tree oil. The two together is probably very effective. I'm gonna have to get some. Thanks for the link.
You're very welcome. Just remember that there are different strengths of manuka honey. You want to be sure that you buy the 'activated' honey ( they say that in the description ) and that it is at least +14 or higher. It's pretty expensive for honey, but I'm hoping it's worth it. Seems to be, from what I've read. I get mine from Vitacost.com. I've been buying a jar about every month, to build up a good supply.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shorebird For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 09:31 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorebird View Post
You're very welcome. Just remember that there are different strengths of manuka honey. You want to be sure that you buy the 'activated' honey ( they say that in the description ) and that it is at least +14 or higher. It's pretty expensive for honey, but I'm hoping it's worth it. Seems to be, from what I've read. I get mine from Vitacost.com. I've been buying a jar about every month, to build up a good supply.
I buy through Vitacost often. I had never seen it advertised but I was never really looking for it there. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Trapper

Of all the things you did and advocate, soap and water wash was the most important and effective. That more than anything else is supported in the medicl literature.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fx77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Hunter

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/MRSA.html

lots of good info here.
I got it and found it hard to shake.
I would go to the doctors and also did things in this link.
Took me about a year but I got rid of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3rd11 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2011, 09:47 PM
I LOVED THIS F0RUM!

Awards Showcase
Top Poster Top Poster 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd11 View Post
http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/MRSA.html

lots of good info here.
I got it and found it hard to shake.
I would go to the doctors and also did things in this link.
Took me about a year but I got rid of it.
Good link. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:09 AM

I'm AJ's wife and I can tell you that things were bad for awhile. I didn't get it nearly as often as he did. Plus his infections were a lot worse most of the time. He had to go to the doctor 3 times and the emergency room once. I only saw a doctor once. I'm just glad it's over with. His googling and studying found the answers we needed and it's worked ever since.
The Following User Says Thank You to nellie pie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Getting There!

Thanked 11,621 Times in 4,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellie pie View Post

I'm AJ's wife and I can tell you that things were bad for awhile. I didn't get it nearly as often as he did. Plus his infections were a lot worse most of the time. He had to go to the doctor 3 times and the emergency room once. I only saw a doctor once. I'm just glad it's over with. His googling and studying found the answers we needed and it's worked ever since.
Well, welcome! It's great to see couples on here.

It seems like I've read that staph bacteria (not necessarily MRSA) resides on our skin pretty much all of the time. It strikes more often when your immune system is lacking, or when your overall health isn't tip top.

I lost my son awhile back. I tried my best to realize there was nothing that I could do to change that and that I had to strive to take the pain without allowing it to drive me insane. It was close to a year later that I crumbled. I was mentally and emotionally drained and defeated and that's when I got my staph infection.

Doing your best to maintain physical, emotional and mental well being is important to enjoy the quality of life. It also tends to ward off such infection in my opinion.

I had a great job, but I found that I was being aggravated for no good reasons. Not long after I healed up I left. I'm doing much better now. I guess that it was a constant reminder, or something. The change allowed me to rebuild my over all health.
The Following User Says Thank You to REM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2013, 11:31 PM

HI there,
I too am suffering from MRSA and doing H202 therapy. How long did you stay on the food grade h202?
Hoping this thing will be dead and gone soon. Any guidance on the h202 would be much appreciated.

Thanks
[email protected]