Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 AM

Default Federal Lake City 62 grain 5.56

Advertise Here

So who is the best source to purchase this ammo ? And what is the difference between the boxes that say "not for duty use" and the ones that dont ? I see this stuff ranging from 140 bux to about 170 bux for a 420 round can . I would rather buy from a good source and make sure i'm getting fresher stuff that hasnt been exposed to elements or anything like that. This is for my colt 6920 that I just purchaseD, wanna start off using good ammo for it to keep it running like a champ. Is there anything else out there in 62 grain for around the same money that is equally as good ?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jed Dawn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 08:48 AM

oh and also can someone explain headstamping to me please, thank you
Old 11-03-2011, 08:53 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,436 Posts

I maybe wrong but the "not for duty use" were batches refused by the military due to blems, etc. From what I hear, absolutely nothing wrong with them.

There is also a Nato head stamping on "official" Nato standard ammo....

I'm sure someone more knowlegable will chime in. Glad you got your Colt. Great rifle.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:00 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,436 Posts

By the way, good brass 5.56 runs about $295 for 1,000 rds on line. I like Palmetto State Armory but there are others with good deals. Federal and PMC is good quality plinking ammo.... no problems
Old 11-03-2011, 09:26 AM

well, just ordered a 420 round can of Federal Lake City 62 grain for 149 shipped from glensoutdoors.com. I had her pick up a box and inspect it to make sure it did not say "not for duty use" I called the order in just to be sure. So I'm happy with what i got. I couldnt find it anywhere else for less then 160 shipped. Going to the gun show in a few weeks and see what else i can find deals on altho i doubt I'll find this for any cheaper. Still debating on whether its worth it to order some Federal Sierra Match 69 grain. My buddy told me that with my 16 inch barrel that I wouldnt really see a difference with the match ammo, is this true ?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:06 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 5,352 Times in 1,736 Posts

Just curious, why do you choose the 62gr FMJ instead of the older 55gr FMJ? The 62gr has better penetration at longer ranges, but the 55gr is better against human meatbags at longer ranges. I have some 62gr, but I almost exclusively stock the 55gr for SHTF.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Troublesome.

Thanked 1,844 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jed Dawn View Post
well, just ordered a 420 round can of Federal Lake City 62 grain for 149 shipped from glensoutdoors.com. I had her pick up a box and inspect it to make sure it did not say "not for duty use" I called the order in just to be sure. So I'm happy with what i got. I couldnt find it anywhere else for less then 160 shipped. Going to the gun show in a few weeks and see what else i can find deals on altho i doubt I'll find this for any cheaper. Still debating on whether its worth it to order some Federal Sierra Match 69 grain. My buddy told me that with my 16 inch barrel that I wouldnt really see a difference with the match ammo, is this true ?

Been a while since I bought any 5.56, but Palmetto State is where I've gotten it historically.

Barrel length aside, because of the 1:7 twist, that weapon should do well with the 69gr bullet.

But I want to go on record as saying whether it will do really well in your rifle will have to be determined. I've seen 6920's shoot better with high end (factory) match ammo and I've seen them not. This holds true for "all" firearms, not just the Colt AR platform; you have to find out what YOUR firearm likes.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainFuzzy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 10:20 AM
begger of beer

Brownell's has it for a bit less than $150/420rd. Plus look on Slickgun.com for a coupon code for spending over $200.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
Brownell's has it for a bit less than $150/420rd. Plus look on Slickgun.com for a coupon code for spending over $200.
Brownells has it for about $163 shipped for one can. i paid $149. No one has it cheaper right now that I am aware of and i searched for hours. i only wanted one can of it for plinking. I will also be getting a thousand rounds of 55 grain as well for now. But first I wanna try a few different 55 grain rounds out. Only time will tell what my rifle is gonna like which is why I am not stockpiling before i have a chance to try a few different options out.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:31 PM
смерть на дальнем расстоя

Thanked 6,871 Times in 2,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMorden View Post
Just curious, why do you choose the 62gr FMJ instead of the older 55gr FMJ? The 62gr has better penetration at longer ranges, but the 55gr is better against human meatbags at longer ranges. I have some 62gr, but I almost exclusively stock the 55gr for SHTF.
Because that's what the 1:7 twist is designed for.

HH54r
Old 11-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 94,174 Times in 31,197 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Natchez Shooters Supply is having a sale on it right now. Their prices seem to be fair compared to what I've seen it selling for elsewhere. But I don't buy it so I don't really keep up that much.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Bad Moon Rising

Thanked 9,909 Times in 3,089 Posts

Jed Dawn,

You can also keep an eye on what Rob is selling here -

www.ammoman.com

Stock varies from time to time, but his prices are generally competitive (shipping is worked into the price, which is not always the case).

Quote:
"Still debating on whether its worth it to order some Federal Sierra Match 69 grain. My buddy told me that with my 16 inch barrel that I wouldnt really see a difference with the match ammo, is this true?"
In the "for what it's worth" department, quite awhile ago while I was on active duty and considered myself quite the shooter, I had an opportunity to fire a qualification course in the morning with a relatively new Colt M-16A1 with a 20" barrel, and that afternoon with a new Colt SP-1 carbine that had a 16" barrel. While I have long since packed away my data books and can't comment shot for shot, I recall that the 200 and 300 meter range results were very similar. It was at the 500 meter slow fire that results really varied - the 20" barrel produced much tighter groups at 500 meters than the 16" barrel. Same shooter, same ammunition, same USMC range, same targets, etc. - the length of the barrel plays a determining role in accuracy at longer ranges (e.g. 500 meters and out).

I suspect that even using match ammunition with the new 1:7 twist, you will find that, generally speaking, longer barrels produce tighter groups at ranges of 500 meters and out. At ranges between say 100 meters and 300 meters the match ammunition may produce better groups, but as the others have said, to some extent it depends on how your rifle shoots it.

JMHO. YMMV.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grotius For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Hittin 54r View Post
Because that's what the 1:7 twist is designed for.

HH54r
exactly why I bought 62 grain. But im gonna get some 55 grain for when people come over and wanna fire my rifle. I also have a few buddies with 1:9 twist rifles too and I like to have ammo around when Im hosting here and there. Plus I figure its good to have around just incase. Not the ammo I wanna put thru my rifle on a regular basis tho
The Following User Says Thank You to Jed Dawn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 05:35 PM
Opinionated old fart.

Thanked 6,982 Times in 3,331 Posts

Quote:
exactly why I bought 62 grain. But im gonna get some 55 grain for when people come over and wanna fire my rifle. I also have a few buddies with 1:9 twist rifles too and I like to have ammo around when Im hosting here and there. Plus I figure its good to have around just incase. Not the ammo I wanna put thru my rifle on a regular basis tho
55 grain in a 1/7 twist barrel is "okay" for plinking, but dont go adjusting your sights if they are set for 62grain, your groups will not be as good- lol. As far as heavier match ammo, you probably wont see any difference on the targets for now. It's not about your rifle, but your skill level -no offense intended.

A NATO headstamp is on the back of the cartridge case. It looks like a cross with circle around it. Basically means it was made to mil-spec.

ATI's 5.56 62 grain ammo comes in 30-round boxes, so dont let the higher price surprise you. It's good stuff.
Federal (american eagle) is also okay, occasionally you see a "value pack" of 100 rounds for around $30. Thats fine, but it is 55 grain.
You can also buy PMC's X-Tac ammo. The 62 grain are labeled "LAP" for Light Armor Piercing which is a gee-whiz marketing name for old fashioned "penetrator" ammo. This has a soft steel core that stays together much better than lead, so the bullet penetrates. It's also called SS109 or M855.

The "green tip" is basically the soft steel core "penetrator" 62 grain round that was made in america. If manufactured overseas, they dont have to be painted green. (ATI is made in turkey so no green paint http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.as...m=AATI223SS109
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeffrey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Opinionated old fart.

So basically when shopping for 5.56 ammo: look for a green tip or specifically saying 62 grain penetrator, a nato headstamp (may not be advertised), a brass case (not steel), and 5.56 (not .223) for best results. Prices change all the time, but if you can find it close to thirty cents a round, its a good deal.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM
Parapup

Quote:
So who is the best source to purchase this ammo ? And what is the difference between the boxes that say "not for duty use" and the ones that dont ? I see this stuff ranging from 140 bux to about 170 bux for a 420 round can . I would rather buy from a good source and make sure i'm getting fresher stuff that hasnt been exposed to elements or anything like that. This is for my colt 6920 that I just purchaseD, wanna start off using good ammo for it to keep it running like a champ. Is there anything else out there in 62 grain for around the same money that is equally as good ?
Not for duty use includes rounds with significant dings on the case and neck of the round. Some are so damaged as to not be chamberable (1-2% of the batch IIRC). I will say that my comfort level with the dinged rounds has increased greatly as I have reloaded more rounds. Cabelas sells both types of m855, not for duty use, and the non marked stuff. Wait for the free shipping coupons or ship to store and you can reliably buy them for 150 per 420.

If you are looking for surplus you have a couple of choices. XM193 55grain, m855 62 grain, or Mk262 77grain.

If you are looking to buy in bulk check out wideners IMI m855. It is not painted with the green tip but it is the same round. i believe its 318 for 1200. This is probably the best deal going right now. Also check out PMC XTAC which is modeled after the 855, I sometimes see them going for 299 per K.
The Following User Says Thank You to djthemac For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,427 Times in 903 Posts

If you can beat this with free shipping...let me know!

http://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=198522
The Following User Says Thank You to Denny367 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
Opinionated old fart.

That'll do. Oh yeah anytime ammo is in loose bulk, you run a chance of some cases getting dinged. IMI seems to be the worst of them. Maybe the israelis move them around a lot before offloading them?

On a side note, Jed - do you have a GI cleaning kit yet? A boresnake is handy, but you need the gi kit also.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
On a side note, Jed - do you have a GI cleaning kit yet? A boresnake is handy, but you need the gi kit also.
you'r posts are helpful and apreciated. I can pick one up today in town I'm sure, there are plenty of gun shops and a few surplus stores where Im headed. If not then I'll order one. Just wish I could figure out what riser mount I need for a Bushnell TRS-25, the funds arent there for an EOTech right now And a good foregrip too, what should i get ?
Old 11-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Opinionated old fart.

Foregrips are getting into the area of "what feels good" to your hand area. I pretty much just leave the old CAR handguards on mine. The older CAR handguards are round instead of oval oversized like the modern M4 handguards are.

I also like the Troy battlerails. It's the only free-float rail type of forearm that is not heavier than the originals. I'm talking about the one that has only the top rail, and is nice and small profile the rest of the way around.

My hands can't stand the feel of quad rails!