Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Hunting and Trapping General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Target Shooter

Default How to harvest deer.

Advertise Here

A good man I work with asked me if I wanted to put A deer in the freezer this year.My answer was "Yes sir,I need one "
The Following User Says Thank You to prepper21 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 05:55 PM
Target Shooter

Mark then asked " would you help with the butchering and processing of the deer.We will have two of them and we have to get them processed by 9am at the latest."Yes, Sir! I replied.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Target Shooter

Default The hunt

The hunt was me showing up at Marks place at 5am. He handed me a cup of coffee and lead me to his stand. At 5:14 a heard of deer walked into his field.
Mark pointed out the two deer we were to take that day and counted down from three. Bang. Both deer down.
Two deer to cut up and process.
Sausage and jerkey were the plan with a few cuts set aside.
When we finished up Mark asked what I thought of the hunt. My answer was
"that was not a hunt we just put in anouther day of work". Mark and I are Grocery store butchers.
Mark responded that he and his dad had been managing the deer on their 300+acres all their lives.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prepper21 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,643 Times in 1,283 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prepper21 View Post
Mark then asked " would you help with the butchering and processing of the deer.We will have two of them and we have to get them processed by 9am at the latest."Yes, Sir! I replied.
the simplest way is to first wash well so it is very clean(very important). if you are in a cool area under 40f and above freezing, let it hang a few days to drain. if its not in that temp rang do not hang to drain or it will rot. make sure it cant be accessed my dogs or wild animals or they will take it. then you cut the deer in half just past the rib cage. the front legs, neck, and ribs in one and the rump meat, and back legs in the other. then you can cut them in half down the spine. use a saw or hog splitter to do this. once you have it quartered. then you can remove the ribs, legs , neck meat, etc. use the small odd peaces for ground meat or sausage. wrap in butchers paper or plastic wrap and freeze. boil the bones for broth or cure and smoke them. or just give them to your dogs if you have them. good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to snowie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Target Shooter

I can take pride in a good shot. 100 yards down hill and on an angle. I can also take pride in helping to manage a heard of deer that have been on that property for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to prepper21 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Target Shooter

Default Iguess I was just disapointed with my only hunting experience of the year.

Yep, shot a deer. I know I should be greatful for the meat and I surely am but darn it where was the hunt?
I am a good shot out too 3 or 4 hundred yards with my rifle and capable of 100 yard bow shots with my compound bow. This hunt was not a hunt at all.
I hope I get anouther chance this year.
Sorry for venting on you folks but I feel bad about this hunt.
Old 10-31-2011, 04:28 PM
one 'o the crazies!

You helped with the management of the deer...not exactly a "hunt" per say, but you have meat in the freezer, now, if time is allowed, and the game laws of Georgia allow it, maybe you could put some time into the hunt for a better "trophy".

I have two deer hanging in my garage now. My oldest son's, and mine from our state's early/beginning deer season. We're done, but my wife and younger son still wish to get out when the late season gets here.

Since you are a butcher, why didn't you guys hang them a bit longer?

Meat tastes best when the enzymes are allowed to break down a bit...perhaps your temps are too warm for that, or you had other stuff to do, but I'd think a farm that size, with a deer management program in effect, would have a large enough cooler to allow them to hang a bit. I know good beef hangs for around 64 days, I hang my deer about 14 days, and it tastes much better after allowed to hang.

Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2011, 04:49 PM
III%

Thanked 24,981 Times in 3,011 Posts

Quote:
Yep, shot a deer. I know I should be greatful for the meat and I surely am but darn it where was the hunt?
I am a good shot out too 3 or 4 hundred yards with my rifle and capable of 100 yard bow shots with my compound bow. This hunt was not a hunt at all.
So it wasn't a hunt. No big deal! You've got a good amount of meat in the freezer!

And what's stopping you from hunting something else?

What kind of bird hunting do you have in the area?

How about small game?

What other big game is there?

There's plenty of hunting other than deer hunting!

(forgot to check where you're located)

Ok.... Georgia. There's gotta be plenty choices in Georgia!

Turkey, quail, rabbit, squirrel plus waterfowl?!

You'd better be getting that old shotgun cleaned and oiled!
Old 10-31-2011, 05:38 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,534 Times in 983 Posts

Quote:
Mark and I are Grocery store butchers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowie View Post
the simplest way is to first wash well so it is very clean(very important). if you are in a cool area under 40f and above freezing, let it hang a few days to drain. if its not in that temp rang do not hang to drain or it will rot. make sure it cant be accessed my dogs or wild animals or they will take it. then you cut the deer in half just past the rib cage. the front legs, neck, and ribs in one and the rump meat, and back legs in the other. then you can cut them in half down the spine. use a saw or hog splitter to do this. once you have it quartered. then you can remove the ribs, legs , neck meat, etc. use the small odd peaces for ground meat or sausage. wrap in butchers paper or plastic wrap and freeze. boil the bones for broth or cure and smoke them. or just give them to your dogs if you have them. good luck

I'm just guessing that you missed reading that part.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:10 PM
My Dixie Wrecked

Thanked 14,912 Times in 4,243 Posts

Quote:
When deer season is over, try your hand at some coyote/fox/pig hunting!

I have found coyotes to be quite a bit more formidable than deer.

I've had shots from a few yards to in excess of 500 yards, just depends on the terrain you're in and your shooting lanes
Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
one 'o the crazies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyFeathers View Post
When deer season is over, try your hand at some coyote/fox/pig hunting!

I have found coyotes to be quite a bit more formidable than deer.

I've had shots from a few yards to in excess of 500 yards, just depends on the terrain you're in and your shooting lanes
Coyotes are my passion! Can't say I'm any good at it....but I love the challenge!
Took a double and a single my last outing, can't wait to get out some more, elk and deer right now.