Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 10-29-2011, 08:43 PM
I deal in lead

Default Antibiotics question.

Advertise Here

Just got my "fish meds" today. I got ampicillan(250mg) and doxycycline(100mg). The thing is on the side it says "not for human consumption". The Amp is for fish and the Doxy is labeled for birds. Do they just put that on ther to cover ther a**? Ingridients on the side of the container say plain and simple "ampicillan" or "doxycycline". Got em from Cal Vet Supply. Distributed by Thomas Laboratories. Let me know what you think. Wish I could figure out how to take pics
The Following User Says Thank You to meemo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2011, 08:45 PM
Grevcon 10ⓖ & MGM20ⓜ

Thanked 9,610 Times in 3,819 Posts

I have checked with 1 doctor & 2 vets they are the same as for humans. I have a supply as most other people on this board.
The Following User Says Thank You to felicia For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 12:48 AM
Wide-Eyed and Stern

Right, that's just for legal issues. I bet to avoid snafus with distributors or something, just a caveat to make sure everyone involved gets thier cut and not left out.

As long as a doctor says that it's good, and the ingredients are the same as human meds, and there are no 'hidden' fish additives that are toxic to people you're good.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM

handling is less rigid for animals. I have used it...I have good insurance but by the time make an appointment,I get there, wait, co-pay, pay for meds ($10 for most), I could have already been 12-24 hours on my way to get well... cause I took fishmox or other.

I keep a supply for us. It is kept in a cool dark place and will last years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westbrook For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 AM
Getting there....

Yep, my aquarium really needed a bottle of amoxicillin and cipro, so I got them last week. My goldfish gets the clap quite a bit.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to solinvictus For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 AM
Recent Blog:
Loading ██████ 99%

Am using some bird antibiotics atm. Only just bought them, but by sheer coincidence got sick (not life threatening - but required antibiotics so it didn't become life threatening) and needed to use them. I could have gone to my doctor, but figured I might as well try them out now rather than store them up, wait for TSTHTF and then find out if they work or not, with no access to medical care. Thumbs up, it's doing a good job and I'm on the mend. I know the ingredients are the same, so I was merely interested to see if they worked. Not concerned as to the consumption of. My mother worked in Pathology and so I grew up around Doctors, Nurses, Scientists etc.. Even helped orderlies re-make beds in the outpatient transport area of a major hospital when I was a kid. Not a Doctor, but I picked up some knowledge.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flutterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 04:25 AM
Not playing games

Thanked 1,660 Times in 702 Posts

Interesting, isn't it. how the Gov't is trying to keep something so dangerous out of the hands of ordinary citizens.
Hmmm.... who would have thought that private possession of anti-biotics would be so threatening to the ruling class?
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Exorcist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,178 Times in 2,148 Posts

What do you think it was going to say? Fish meds Wink Wink.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uncle Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,245 Posts

What I did was check each of the pills I was interested in buying via an online pill finder.

I had similar worries, and this tool confirmed for me that per the physical description, which manufacturer and dosage was in each pill. I have multiple drug allergies, so I am used to doing this.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,449 Times in 645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Exorcist View Post
Interesting, isn't it. how the Gov't is trying to keep something so dangerous out of the hands of ordinary citizens.
Hmmm.... who would have thought that private possession of anti-biotics would be so threatening to the ruling class?
LOL another conspiracy theorist. I love it.

Btw OP, do you have acne or something? Doxycycline is a strange choice, especially when going to the trouble of buying them as vet supply.

Also the label says that because the manufacturing protocols and fillers are less stringent for animal use.
The Following User Says Thank You to COM_AMG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterfly View Post
Am using some bird antibiotics atm. Only just bought them, but by sheer coincidence got sick (not life threatening - but required antibiotics so it didn't become life threatening) and needed to use them. I could have gone to my doctor, but figured I might as well try them out now rather than store them up, wait for TSTHTF and then find out if they work or not, with no access to medical care. Thumbs up, it's doing a good job and I'm on the mend. I know the ingredients are the same, so I was merely interested to see if they worked. Not concerned as to the consumption of. My mother worked in Pathology and so I grew up around Doctors, Nurses, Scientists etc.. Even helped orderlies re-make beds in the outpatient transport area of a major hospital when I was a kid. Not a Doctor, but I picked up some knowledge.
This is frightening. I hope no one follows your lead.

There are a series of commercials about you here in the US. "Are you a doctor or pharmacist?".

"No but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night..."
The Following User Says Thank You to COM_AMG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,417 Times in 1,050 Posts

I have compared all of my "fish" Atbs c the human grade and, guess what... Caps and Tabs are identical in every visable way(size, color, ID stamp&numbers) . I have never seen or heard of a Animal grade pharm lab..but, I have seen different labels put on exact same product
I'm a nurse and I have evry fish/bird atb on the market...For my chickens and fish of course
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,418 Times in 1,245 Posts

My understanding is that the fish antibiotics cannot have fillers because these need to be pure for the fish to tolerate.

Also, I look for fish antibiotics that are USP (US Pharmaceutical) grade. Then, before buying I use the pill finder to trace to the manufacturer to confirm the drug is USP grade.

I also have books on how to guide for dosing various ailments.

Am I missing anything - any thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to ShaynaGirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2011, 10:57 PM
I deal in lead

Doxycycline is for treating Rocky Mtn Fever amongst other things( so the Patriot Nurse tells me)
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Recent Blog:
Loading ██████ 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by COM_AMG View Post
This is frightening. I hope no one follows your lead.

There are a series of commercials about you here in the US. "Are you a doctor or pharmacist?".

"No but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night..."
That's hardly the same thing.

My mother raised me by herself. We lived a 1 hour drive from where she worked at The Alfred Hospital in Melbourne (The Austin Hospital before that). As a result I went to school near to where she worked. I would have to go to her work after school and wait until mum finished work. Then we would travel home together. I spent a lot of time around medical people.

I have mentioned in other recent threads that different antibiotics do different things and posted links giving such information. Never said that anyone should do as I do. Most of us on this site are adults and capable of making decisions for ourselves.

I also read a lot of the medical periodicals that my mother got in the mail. My mother attended regular conferences and training sessions (which they all do) and so would bring home further reading.

It was expected of me that I would go down the same path. I went against family pressure and decided not go into medicine, though I did study in that area for a time. If anyone asked me for medical advice, I would not give them any. I can make decisions for myself.

Being that my mother was a sole parent, meant that she was sometimes unable to get a babysitter, so I went along with her to various meetings or important dinners. The "grown ups" would all sit around talking shop. All I could do was sit there and listen.

Or is this another anti-Australian thing where people treat us like we're from an underdeveloped country and know nothing. Yes, sure we still use blood letting and cauterise wounds with a hot iron. Dead dingo's dongah is a great cure for drop bear bites.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:22 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flutterfly View Post
Or is this another anti-Australian thing where people treat us like we're from an underdeveloped country and know nothing. Yes, sure we still use blood letting and cauterise wounds with a hot iron. Dead dingo's dongah is a great cure for drop bear bites.
You've been using your "jump to conclusions mat" again, haven't you...

I paid no attention to the fact you're Australian until you posted it just now. Your nationality has nothing to do with your leaps in medical logic and 'picked up along the way' medical knowledge that's frightening to read about.

Heres the scary part: You self diagnosed and self medicated. I'm surprised you didn't 'pick up along the way' from all of your medical friends and family that this is the #1 no-no in all of medicine. Drug resistant infections, dosing, side effects...the list of reasons self medicating is stupid is a mile long

Btw I have many friends in AU and love the country. There are misinformed people all over the globe.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Ready when you are

Doxy is one of the important antibiotics to have. With famine and war usually comes epidemic Typhus, which doxycycline is used to treat. You can also use it prophylactically if you are exposed to someone sick.
Old 11-01-2011, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Heres the scary part: You self diagnosed and self medicated. I'm surprised you didn't 'pick up along the way' from all of your medical friends and family that this is the #1 no-no in all of medicine. Drug resistant infections, dosing, side effects...the list of reasons self medicating is stupid is a mile long
I am going to answer as if this was written for me since I posted I SELF Diagnose and SELF Medicate. This isn't being written to you COM_AMG, but for others reading this thread.

I call and make an appointment to see my M.D., the secretary asks "what is wrong with you?" in describing my symptoms, I am self diagnosing!

I get to the doctor he again asks me, "What is wrong or what are the symptoms?" again self diagnosing by telling him what I am experiencing!

the doctor will base 'His' diagnosis on what I am telling him. Of course the vitals have been taken at the office, and usually a temperature has been taken at home (which prompts the call to the doctor).

So in essence, I am self diagnosing.

Now on to self medicating. I have a fever and take an aspirin, aren't I self medicating? I have a problem sleeping and take a Tylenol PM again self medicating. Just taking a Calcium or Vit. C pill is actually self medicating.

We all do it.

Of course there are allergic reactions to medicines.. antibiotics or other. No one knows when they are going to have an allergic reaction but the same goes for food! you rush to the doctor. And in a SHTF scenario these things can happen to anyone at anytime. What are you going to do? (hopefully you have benadryl on hand).

Ya know, most people are smart enough to figure out.. antibiotics for a cold or flu isn't going to do anything! Sore throat? infection starting in a wound? bladder infection? ear infection? these are what people are going to use antibiotics for.

Thank you for pointing out this can be scary and self medicating is stupid. For those that agree with this, don't do it!

I on the other hand am pretty intelligent, fairy articulate, and knowledgeable about many things. I have done my homework on this subject, feel very comfortable diagnosing myself and prescribing my own course of action.

I do this with my doctor too, I ask for a prescription medication, we discuss it, and usually I get what I have asked for. I am sure most people are able to do the same with their physicians too.

Antibiotics - most know there are some that are broad spectrum while other antibiotics are more specific to other certain infections.

I will continue to purchase and when needed use antibiotics by
http://www.thomaslabs.com/thomasLabs/default.aspx if it is good enough for my animals....
The Following User Says Thank You to westbrook For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 01:08 PM
Survivor

Quote:
LOL another conspiracy theorist. I love it.

Btw OP, do you have acne or something? Doxycycline is a strange choice, especially when going to the trouble of buying them as vet supply.

Also the label says that because the manufacturing protocols and fillers are less stringent for animal use.
How so? Doxy is good for
1. Lyme Ds.
2. Rocky Mnt fvr
2. Anthrax
3. Plague

Heres a list off some med site instead of my head.....

Doxycycline can be used to treat a number of different types of infections caused by bacteria. It is most commonly used to treat infections such as:

•Certain types of pneumonia
•Chlamydia
•Rocky Mountain spotted fever
•Typhus fever
•Tick fever
•Syphilis (when unable to take penicillin)
•Some respiratory or urinary tract infections (UTIs)
•Plague
•Cholera
•Tularemia
•Gonorrhea
•Lyme disease.

Without AC, increased outdoor living Vector diseases would be of a prime concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Swampwood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaynaGirl View Post
My understanding is that the fish antibiotics cannot have fillers because these need to be pure for the fish to tolerate.

Also, I look for fish antibiotics that are USP (US Pharmaceutical) grade. Then, before buying I use the pill finder to trace to the manufacturer to confirm the drug is USP grade.

I also have books on how to guide for dosing various ailments.

Am I missing anything - any thoughts?

I'd make a list of common ailments, what you could picture happening in your environment or, what you may have experienced in your past.
Make that list and the recommended Rx, on back of cover or first page of your drug guide for quick reference and, what you should have prepped.
JMHO